NEurope
Ashley

Sleeping

Discussing optimal sleeping duration with my housemate the other day. She said she needs 9-10 hours ideally, I said about 5.

More would be nice, it just doesn't happen. I typically give myself seven hours in bed but it takes over an hour to get to sleep, I wake up a few times and I always wake up before my alarm.

What about you guys, how long do you tend to sleep for/would like to sleep for?

If I get to sleep before midnight (literally sleep, not just get in bed) I usually feel great when I wake up - probably because my body clocks in enough time before any need to wake. Otherwise I say about 8 hours.

I don't have much in the way of a sleeping schedule. I usually shoot for about 6 hours. If I have the time, I usually end up getting a couple of hours more, and if not, I usually get a couple less. If I need to get up, I've always had a knack for kickstarting myself.

I find anywhere between 6 nd 8 is good, but as I'm currently unemployed, I'm getting around 9. Although that's with me setting an alarm. Without it I can easily have 11 hours. But your day is just wasted.

Five hours isn't enough, Ashley. You're sending yourself to an early grave. No wonder you always look so ragged. :p

I usually sleep for about eight hours, unless I have to be somewhere the next day, in which case I'll get as much sleep as I can without going to bed earlier and spend the afternoon wishing I was dead. Then I'll perk up again and stay up all night.

If I could have my way and would be in a nice and comfy bed with no one waking me, I could easily go for 11-12 hours. But the way it is, I get about 6-7 hours now. I'd like to get 8 hours as I feel tired every day, but that would require going to bed at about 10:30, which just isn't happening. =P

About 7-8 years ago, I would sleep about 2-5 hours per night (due to uni work and long distance relationship). I was a zombie then haha.

I'm an insomniac (I have a certificate and everything!) so for me it means I get anything between 2 and 5 hours a night.

6-8 hours is good. Some weekends I will stay in bed for 10-12 hours and I don't feel any better rested, on the contrary I feel more knackered than before!

Varies, on a work night i'll have 6-7 hours sleep and wake up tired. Probably due to the fact that i'm waking up 1/2 hour before my alarm and i refuse to get up before it goes off.

Weekends and days off, easily 9 hours solid. Catch-up on the rest whilst off.

I've become so awful at waking myself that most nights I sleep 8-10hours which is good, I suppose, but then any university lecture before 11am has suffered greatly. 2-3am is a Norma, time to go to sleep -- I mean, does anyone know of someone who sleep before 12?

Despite my sleep I still feel pretty much zombie-like most days which comes down to health / nutrition ...

I usually try and get 7, anything less and I'm completely useless. Thankfully I start work at 12.30 5 days a week, so it means this doesn't effect my bad habit of getting to sleep around 3-4 am :p

Waking up is SUCH a hard task every day, I set two alarms on my phone, one an hour before I wake up (which is some random piano solo) which I keep snoozing every 10 mins, then a more annoying one half an hour before I should be up, which is far more annoying as it's just a bunch of ducks quacking.

The final one is this beast of an alarm which sounds pretty much like an old school fire drill, I put it at the other end of the room so I just have to get out of bed.

When I think about it, it's a good job I wake up when everyone else has left the house else they'd be fuming. The one day I set my alarm as barking dogs, my lord, what a riot that caused. My real dogs in the other room were going crazy.

I try to aim for the recommended 8 hours, but in many cases that would involve me staying awake until 2am* so I ususually extended it by an hour or so.

*Most days I try to be awake by 10ish.

6-8 hours is good.

6 hours is in the 'good' range? :wtf: There must be something seriously wrong with me. If I don't get a minimum of 8 hours I become a zombie.

I don't remember where I've read this, but apparently studies suggest our bodies are more fit for two consecutive sleep sessions that last 4-hours each.

I don't remember where I've read this, but apparently studies suggest our bodies are more fit for two consecutive sleep sessions that last 4-hours each.

My brother says this. He reckons people used to sleep four hours, get up for an hour or so, then go back to sleep for four hours.

^not read the links (lazy) but I remember learning that sleep cycles are not fixed for everyone. I think my sleep pattern is closer to 5 hours.

When I got to Australia I was sleeping 10pm-7am and struggling to get up. I then pushed and pushed, and started going to bed at 1am or 2am and getting up at 7 and feeling pretty much ok -- but now I've continued on the slippery slope and pushed it to 3am and 4am on occasion, and I've been ill twice in two weeks so I've then gone back to bed at 8am 'til 1pm. Sleeping during the day is WARM and dehydrating so it's an awful practice but I've been doing it for a fortnight now.

If I get to sleep before midnight (literally sleep, not just get in bed) I usually feel great when I wake up - probably because my body clocks in enough time before any need to wake. Otherwise I say about 8 hours.

That's pretty much the same as me, if i get to sleep before midnight i feel great, and normally 7 hours is fine for me, but any longer and its weird i feel much worse!

Lately i have had it really bad! I've signed up to do winter Gritting in Leeds and have to be at the depot for 4.15-4.30am, which means going to bed mega early as i need to be up at 3.30 ish, so about 8pm. But at that time its next to impossible to get to sleep, and because i know i need to be up its a rough night of me waking up and checking my alarm is working

Does anyone else work unsociable hours? any tips? whiskey worked the other night

I'd say I sleep 5 or 6 hours a night in general. Maybe 7-8 if I have nothing to do either side. To be honest I don't like sleeping at all, it's such a waste of time. The one thing I really wish I could have would be the ability to never sleep but always feel refreshed and ready to go.

Getting to sleep is always tricky for me and I always tend to stay up quite late. Even when I 'fix' my sleeping pattern I'll gradually slip back to staying up until 4am. So typically I'll go to sleep at 4 and wake up at about 11/11:30 which is about 7 hours. I can function on that and usually do for most of the week but when the opportunity arises, I will sleep on until the early afternoon. I could easily sleep for 12 hours given the chance.

I usually get about 5 hours when i'm working. Ideally I go for 7-8, rarely happens.

It really depends what's going on. Right now I have a few websites on the go that I generally need to stay up until at least 12 so I can actually get a decent chunk of work done on them. I need to get up at 7am so that usually gives me around 6 and a half hours sleep. Ideally I'd have another hour and a half to make it up to 8!