NEurope
Dog-amoto

Wii U and Virgin Media

i to am having problems connecting wii u to super hub, i was thinking of doing manuak set up, but where it says enter sub address etc, i dont know ehere to find this info? can anyone help? cheers

Baboon can you put up a screen grab of the web interface? I want to settle this manual settings issue and that will be easy if I can see all of the options that you can :-)

Connection seems okay now, drops out a little on downloads but my Miiverse home screen just displays comments from Nintendo advertising different features if you connect to the internet. So need to sort that out. Was nothing to do with Gamepad interference as my router has always been set to 2.4ghz, must have just been a coincidence. Virgin told me to try trial and error with the WiFi channels, rather than setting it to auto.

Has anyone else had these problems with miiverse not showing up properly?

am having same trouble been trying all day and also everyones methods that they have posted but to no joy at all please help its annoying me!

That's good then. So almost exactly what I've said above but just with more specifics on the subnet on IP used on Virgin routers.

Don't worry about disabling DHCP, that's not going to do you any good at all for your other devices connecting if it's turned off!

But the fact that you're connected almost totally rules out any problems to do with the wireless side of things.

Probably a firewall issue then. At first I'd recommend just turning it off completely at first to see if that's causing the issue. I'm going to be doing some port analysis on this over the weekend so I should be able to let you know some specific ports to open up. Then you should be able to put the firewall on again and add in exception rules to allow the traffic through.

Hi solved the problem I changed the wpa 2 psk to wpa auto and it works now :) shame it takes ten years to download anything though I thought the ps3 was slow lol.

am having same trouble been trying all day and also everyones methods that they have posted but to no joy at all please help its annoying me!

Need more info!

Hi, I'm completely new to all this and I'm not that techie minded! I am just a mum trying to get our new Wii U connected so my son can have some fun!

I did call virgin re the connection and they told me to call back in a week as they don't know how to fix Wii U problems yet...and when I do call back n a week, they want £60 from me to fix it!

I got as far as changing all the settings as per earlier advice, and now my Wii U will connect to the network device but not the Internet (which is a start). Trouble is, I don't know how to disable the superhub firewall or change speeds, so can someone please guide me?

Thank you

Karen

@Jamba and @madeinbeats, get in here and show this lady what N-Europe gamers are good for! We were kid gamers once, and these ones are missing out dammit! I'd personally love to help, but don't have a superhub* and have never used one so I'd have no idea. Hopefully these guys'll manage to find you a solution though.

(*actually I think I do have one in a box but when I realised it was router and modem mixed in together I just got a new router for my old modem. Not quite thread related, but I had just kinda thought a modem+router all in one might restrict me somewhat, is it a warranted fear? Especially given current Wii U problems?)

Hi, I'm completely new to all this and I'm not that techie minded! I am just a mum trying to get our new Wii U connected so my son can have some fun!

I did call virgin re the connection and they told me to call back in a week as they don't know how to fix Wii U problems yet...and when I do call back n a week, they want £60 from me to fix it!

I got as far as changing all the settings as per earlier advice, and now my Wii U will connect to the network device but not the Internet (which is a start). Trouble is, I don't know how to disable the superhub firewall or change speeds, so can someone please guide me?

Thank you

Karen

Hello Mrs Karen

Watch this video and follow all the steps.

Then follow PLEYOR's advice above if that doesn't work.

http://www.n-europe.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1510423&postcount=29

Hi solved the problem I changed the wpa 2 psk to wpa auto and it works now :) shame it takes ten years to download anything though I thought the ps3 was slow lol.

And if worst comes to the worst, set wireless security to none, so at least you should be able to download the update, then you can add a wireless password against to protect your connection until there is a solid solution to follow.

We need more feedback from folk who got this working after trying all the advice in the thread so far, so I hope you all come back and tell us what works for you.

Edited by madeinbeats

Thank you both for helping...

I have now changed all the suggested settings on Virginmedia, changed WPS to WPA auto (on the superhub) AND changed security to none on the Wii...still no connection!

The first two changes allowed me to connect to the device but not the Internet. Changing security to none locked me out of the device as well :cry:

I'm now going to see if I can find another router to connect to the superhub...and I hope it doesn't mess up every other device I do have working fine.

Urghhh, if i had realised it was going to be this hard, I'd have saved my money!

I'm on Virgin but have my hub set to modem mode and am using a Buffalo router. My Wii U passes all the connection tests but every time I try and perform a system update it tries and then comes up with 'an error has occurred'. Is this due to everyone trying to update at the same time or is it the same problem people on this thread are having?

*** edit ***

Just been playing around a bit more. When I try updating I get different error codes and on a few occasions it's got as far as 'downloading data for update' but then it fails with 'cannot connect to server'. Is this something wrong at my end or is it the servers being overloaded?

Edited by wooks63

I have now changed all the suggested settings on Virginmedia, changed WPS to WPA auto (on the superhub) AND changed security to none on the Wii...still no connection!

The first two changes allowed me to connect to the device but not the Internet. Changing security to none locked me out of the device as well :cry:

I'm now going to see if I can find another router to connect to the superhub...and I hope it doesn't mess up every other device I do have working fine.

Urghhh, if i had realised it was going to be this hard, I'd have saved my money!

I think for the wireless security the setting has to be the same on both, so madeinbeats might have been suggesting turning it off on the router; but JUST to download the update - then put it back on until a more solid solution can be found.

Kotaku posted a neat step-by-step guide to troubleshoot this issue for anyone having issues connecting:

http://kotaku.com/5961600/if-your-wii-u-wont-connect-to-your-wifi-router-heres-what-to-do

You'll probably need to google a few terms like SSID and CMD, but it should be fairly straightforward with some patience.

Gotta love Nintendo consoles and their reluctance to cooperate with certain wireless network configurations. The lack of an Ethernet port on this thing is infuriating.

Edited by Guy

Thanks for this thread. I have VM too and would have been lost. Tried out of sheer curiosity and it did not connect to our normal superhub WiFi. Luckily we have a spare router than we have been running WEP for old DS's on, so I changed all the settings around, set the superhub to modem mode only and the Wii U is now updating.

I know that is not much help to those with no spare router, but I have hated the superhub ever since we got it. Connection losses a plenty.

If you need to, you can factory reset the hub with the following instructions and then log back in with the details on the sticker on the back of the hub, then try the link Guy posted above.

http://help.virginmedia.com/system/viewArticle.jsp?uuid=0C24A430-DE92-4319-9F4A-534B2E9E69CE

Keep us posted.

Tried again this afternoon with no luck so took the console upstairs next to my router. It connected and updated first time, so my issue was probably due to my Wii U being far away from my router (2 flights of stairs away!). I also changed the connection settings by using the AOSS button on the router. I've now taken it back downstairs and all is working well. In fact I'm typing this reply on my control pad. So now can get on with actually playing on it :grin:

Edited by wooks63

Tried again this afternoon with no luck so took the console upstairs next to my router. It connected and updated first time, so my issue was probably due to my Wii U being far away from my router (2 flights of stairs away!). I also changed the connection settings by using the ASOS button on the router. I've now taken it back downstairs and all is working well. In fact I'm typing this reply on my control pad. So now can get on with actually playing on it :grin:

Well done Mr Wooks!

OK. So check this one out. I've always had my hub in Modem Mode and used a separate Netgear router.

I connected the Wii U as normal when I first got it; downloaded the update; went on the eShop and downloaded Nano Assault... no problem you would think!

I had a problem with Nano Assault where the Online Ranking boards would not load, and would give me an error message.

I set up the manual connection and they load in now. W..T..F..??

All I know is both the hub and router are Netgears. I don't know who or what is to blame here.

EDIT. Scratch that, seem it was a one off, the boards are saying no data again.

Edited by madeinbeats

Hello All

Phew, after 48 hours of scanning forums and taking everyone's advice, our Wii U is now connected to the internet, has downloaded the update and is now updating the system with it...so hopefully we will be up and running very soon.

This is the advice I followed, which is the same as given above - the key was to MANUALLY enter the SSID as well as all the other info, rather than accept the automatically detected connection!

Firstly you need to enter the details manually so:

ssid: virginmediaxxxxxxx (xx = the numbers after your ssid)

secruity: Now change this to "WPA-PSK[AES]" and type your password. The others didnt work for me and WEP seems disabled. Make sures its changed to AES on your router too.

IP address: 192.168.0.xx - xx can be whatever you want really, I was using 35

Subnet: 255.255.255.0

Gateway: 192.168.0.1

Now the DNS settings can be a number of things but we'll just use googles:

Leave the proxy blank and dont change the MTU

It worked for me, and good luck to everyone else - thank you guys for all your support :)

Now I'm off to play Wii U with my son - yeah!

Karen

Hello All

Phew, after 48 hours of scanning forums and taking everyone's advice, our Wii U is now connected to the internet, has downloaded the update and is now updating the system with it...so hopefully we will be up and running very soon.

This is the advice I followed, which is the same as given above - the key was to MANUALLY enter the SSID as well as all the other info, rather than accept the automatically detected connection!

Firstly you need to enter the details manually so:

ssid: virginmediaxxxxxxx (xx = the numbers after your ssid)

secruity: Now change this to "WPA-PSK[AES]" and type your password. The others didnt work for me and WEP seems disabled. Make sures its changed to AES on your router too.

IP address: 192.168.0.xx - xx can be whatever you want really, I was using 35

Subnet: 255.255.255.0

Gateway: 192.168.0.1

Now the DNS settings can be a number of things but we'll just use googles:

Leave the proxy blank and dont change the MTU

It worked for me, and good luck to everyone else - thank you guys for all your support :)

Now I'm off to play Wii U with my son - yeah!

Karen

Good stuff. Don't forget to post your Nintendo Network ID in this thread

http://www.n-europe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36102

and add people to your friend list. Have fun :)

Just read on the Virgin Media forums someone helped their connection by disabling uPnP. So something else that might be worth a shot for people still having trouble.

Glad to hear you got it up and running, Karrie77. Thanks for leaving the details in the thread too, they're sure to help other people having similar issues!

I've managed to set up my Wii U to connect to the router, but sadly it does not do the final step of connecting to the internet. I've moved the gamepad to and from the rooms where the router and the wii u console is in my house but no matter where it is either it won't conect or it becomes too far away from the wii u console. Is this problem fixable, or will I forever live without the internet on my Wii U, knowing it is possible to have internet.

Thanks in advance,

The Raven

Just ditch the so called "superhub", the things are useless. My 3 year old Netgear (supplied by virgin) had no trouble connecting to Wii U. My friends superhub can barely connect to my phone when I go round, pretty much any wireless router would be better.