NEurope
Dog-amoto

Wii U and Virgin Media

Superhub has been fine with everything (iPhone, iPad, my mate's Android phones, PS3, 3DS) apart from Wii U. I used the strange method I mentioned on the previous page, which worked but my connection drops out - not played anything online yet but I had to keep resetting my router to get it to connect again (also had problems loading the Miiverse screen properly)

Anyway, I dug out an old Apple Airport Express thing that you plug into the mains and then into the router with an ethernet cable. Connected no problem (no need to change any settings) so am going to see if it gives me a smoother connection...

Just ditch the so called "superhub", the things are useless. My 3 year old Netgear (supplied by virgin) had no trouble connecting to Wii U. My friends superhub can barely connect to my phone when I go round, pretty much any wireless router would be better.

I wish I could just ditch it. My dad won't get rid of it as all our other internet things are connected to it and have no problems whatsoever.

I wish I could just ditch it. My dad won't get rid of it as all our other internet things are connected to it and have no problems whatsoever.

Most people get it working eventually, there's just a little something you are probably missing. Move it close to the router whilst you are setting it up and read through all the set up procedure again until it works. Also go look at the official Virgin Media forums and search for Wii u, there are a couple of threads there about it too.

Edited by madeinbeats

What a pain in the behind that was, but thanks to Karrie77's persistence in finding the details required to get the Wii U to connect to the superhub, my kids Christmas present is now updating (albeit slowly). :santa:

I have the Virgin Media Superhub also but got a Wii U on launch day. After struggling to connect for hours, I noticed that the connection was not always stable so couldn't enjoy Miiverse properly. Fortunately, with the latest firmware update, I am now able to connect to the router conventionally with no problems.

So to all of those who have connected through the manual route, make sure to try and connect to the router normally after you have updated to give you smooth, problem free online gaming/browsing.

Kotaku posted a neat step-by-step guide to troubleshoot this issue for anyone having issues connecting:

URL ( I can't post as I haven't done 15 posts even though this is a quote )

You'll probably need to google a few terms like SSID and CMD, but it should be fairly straightforward with some patience.

Gotta love Nintendo consoles and their reluctance to cooperate with certain wireless network configurations. The lack of an Ethernet port on this thing is infuriating.

After following this advice I was able to connect to the device but not the internet. I eventually managed to connect to internet by:

On the Wii control pad go to internet options.

Go to view Mac address and write it down, it will consist of 6 sets of 2 digits.

Go to advanced settings.

Towards the bottom DHCP reservation.

Type in the wii mac address and the IP address you used on the previous steps ie the plus 10 one.

Save this and now try to connect. For me this worked, I hope this helps some other people.

I know someone who had these problems. He had to go to his friend's to do the update. Once updated fully it works fine with his Virgin Router. Still a pain in the arse to do it that way though. I've also heard people have problems with the 3DS and Virgin.

I have problems with pretty much everything and Virgin other than my original Wii.

Think I might get a new router soon, but quite often it says I'm connected and there's no internet access, so I'm guessing it's more to do with Virgin themselves.

I have no idea about this kind of stuff though so I could be wrong :p

My Wii U sits silently and forlornly idle beside the TV and Virgin Media "Super Hub"

Like the vast majority of its cousins it cannot connect to the "Super Dud"

Virgin Media customer relations were useless. The kid I spoke to, I found out, was reading the "advice" from an Internet blog!!! (it didn't work!!)

I have also tried hard wiring the Wii U directly with a LAN adaptor. The damn thing can't detect the "Super Dud" through Ethernet either!!!

Any suggestions??? Two young daughters and one very frustrated, angry Dad will be very grateful of any positive advice!!

(Nintendo help line were very constructive in the advice offered but it did not help get the console up and running. It no longer plays games due the system update required)

If the advice above doesn't work try taking the machine to someone elses house with another ISP, connect it via that and do the update, after that it should connect to virgin no problem.

Let me ask you lot something. I'm on Virgin Media without a super hub, is one required for the fast internet speeds (over 20mbps)?

My Wii U sits silently and forlornly idle beside the TV and Virgin Media "Super Hub"

Like the vast majority of its cousins it cannot connect to the "Super Dud"

Virgin Media customer relations were useless. The kid I spoke to, I found out, was reading the "advice" from an Internet blog!!! (it didn't work!!)

I have also tried hard wiring the Wii U directly with a LAN adaptor. The damn thing can't detect the "Super Dud" through Ethernet either!!!

Any suggestions??? Two young daughters and one very frustrated, angry Dad will be very grateful of any positive advice!!

(Nintendo help line were very constructive in the advice offered but it did not help get the console up and running. It no longer plays games due the system update required)

As Ezag said or it's viable to take it to a cafe or pub and do the update there... anywhere where there is a free wifi and power socket ; no need for a TV, just use the pad screen just make sure it's charged up and on a low brightness setting to conserved battery just in case. I know it sounds a bit extravagant, but it's certainly something you could easily do if it came to it.

Let me ask you lot something. I'm on Virgin Media without a super hub, is one required for the fast internet speeds (over 20mbps)?

Correct. I was on their 10MB service for ages with just a normal modem, then when upgrading to the 50MB service, I had to get a Superhub.

Aye, the old modems only go upto 10mbps I believe. Just go to speedtest.net to test the theory.

Aye, the old modems only go upto 10mbps I believe. Just go to speedtest.net to test the theory.

It must be 20mbps. I got my free upgrade to 20 today and my modem is working fine with the upgrade.

Had a right ordeal getting this working tonight. I don't even know what made it start working, but I will NEVER CHANGE THOSE SETTINGS AGAIN.

Had a right ordeal getting this working tonight. I don't even know what made it start working, but I will NEVER CHANGE THOSE SETTINGS AGAIN.

Haha. If it ever balls up again this thread has the solution for it, I had to do it for my brother. Hope you enjoy your new irritatingly cheap console!

This is a superhub only problem right? I had not issues getting on with just a modem and seperate router - I do often get some annoying error codes whilst trying to post on miiverse and using the browser though. The browser's giving me some real flash gyp lately :(

Yeah, I believe it's Superdud related. That piece of crap is the bane of my wireless existence.

Having recently got my Wii U basic I had trouble connecting to my Virgin superhub. I followed the guide on he Nintendo on how to connect to the SH and it worked. My problem is my Wii U can't sustain an Internet connection. It constantly disconnects. I get various error codes and can't use eShop or Miiverse sometimes.

I've taken the Wii U to my girlfriends house and tried it on her sky 2.5mb connection. It works flawlessly with no disconnects.

Is there anyway to stabilise the connection between a Wii U and virgin SH?

All my other devices (ipad,3DS, 360, PS3 etc) work without any problems.

I can't move the machine closer to the router either.

Thanks in advance

Having recently got my Wii U basic I had trouble connecting to my Virgin superhub. I ftest ollowed the guide on he Nintendo on how to connect to the SH and it worked. My problem is my Wii U can't sustain an Internet connection. It constantly disconnects. I get various error codes and can't use eShop or Miiverse sometimes.

I've taken the Wii U to my girlfriends house and tried it on her sky 2.5mb connection. It works flawlessly with no disconnects.

Is there anyway to stabilise the connection between a Wii U and virgin SH?

All my other devices (ipad,3DS, 360, PS3 etc) work without any problems.

I can't move the machine closer to the router either.

Thanks in advance

Hello. log into router and clicl advqnced settings.

1. Disable the firewall on router, it isn't need if you have firewalls on your PC /Mac.

2. Enable the DMZ zone and place the static IP address you gave your wii u into the dmz IP box.

3. click wirerless radio option. In there select 2.4GHz, and select either 54m or 144mbps (test which is best, I have 144mbps) and greenfield mode off.

For channel the best thing to do is if you have an android phone or tablet download Wireless

Connection anylizer free from Google play store (probably similar on iPhone) Sit next to the wii u and test the connection with said app, it will suggest which is the best channel to use or you can test individually. BTW you must reboot the rooter after ANY change ypu make to the superhub.

Failing that you can try setting up a guest ssid (ssid2) and set that with basic or no security but enable MAC filtering on it and add your wii u Mac address to the filter list.

Best thing to do first if figuring out the best channel with that app though, that should slice half your troubles in half instantly, then test and try all the other settings I suggest.

It's easy once you get stuck in, thatandroid app is really good and easy, and at the end of it you'll be rewarded with a fine tuned connection in peak performance.

FAILING ALLLLLLL THAT, get a better cable router, the best you can afford, and stick the supper shit hub in modem mode and plug it into to internet port on your new expensive router.

madeinbeats,

Thank you for the detailed reply.

When i get back home i'll try what you've suggested. I'll have a search for that channel app now. I have an iPhone so i hope there is an equivalent program for it.

cheers

I have to concur with using the router option. Put the piece of shit into modem mode and use a router. Fixed all my problems.

I have to concur with using the router option. Put the piece of shit into modem mode and use a router. Fixed all my problems.

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure what type of router i'd need. Any advice on what to get?

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure what type of router i'd need. Any advice on what to get?

Erm...I have a Netgear one, didn't pay too much for it. Not at home at the moment so I'll look when I get back.

Edit. WGR614v7

Edited by Dog-amoto