NEurope
Dog-amoto

Wii U and Virgin Media

Bloody hell - just spent 70 minutes on the phone trying to connect my Wii U. Got it sorted now, but just a warning to anyone who uses Virgin to prepare for some pain!

Yeah, I had to manually set my IP address, gateway and DNS servers to get it working

Really? Bollocks. I'm with virgin media, have connected my Wii U, but the download appears to have frozen at around 20%. :shakehead

What's the problem with it and VirginMedia? Not got one, but it might be ideal to weedle this down a bit more to help other folks :p

I work for virgin media, just put a cheeky call in, no issues with the Wii U regarding connectivity yet, so it may be down to individual connections rather than a company problem...but then I'm not sure they knew what a Wii U was, so any more problems with Virgin put them in here and can do some investigating.

I think my problem is more of my shoddy wireless receiver. It boots my DS half the time

The Nintendo DS systems have an issue with Virgin Media routers. A Google search should point anyone having issues in the right direction. Requires you to set up a second wireless access point with some new encryption if I recall correctly...

The Nintendo DS systems have an issue with Virgin Media routers. A Google search should point anyone having issues in the right direction. Requires you to set up a second wireless access point with some new encryption if I recall correctly...

This was due to DS not being able to do WPA encryption (which was a joke).

Generally speaking, if you can get access to your router's settings then I can probably help out. First thing you want to get rid of is UPnP!

Would be helpful if people could be more specific about the problems. E.g. Does it not connect wirelessly to the router or is it it just not getting out on to the net.

Generally, I would recommend that you set the Wii U to the following settings:

Keep in mind that these are for a network that has address that look like 192.168.1. (insert number here).

Static IP: 192.168.1.200

Gateway: Your router's IP which is usually either 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.254

Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

DNS: Use google's free one 8.8.8.8

Wireless: If available, makes sure it's set to be able to do 802.11n and set encryption to WPA2-AES.

As said, might be able to tinker a bit more if people want.

Just set up my wireless connection. Worked first time no hassle.

You guys using Virgin's "Super" Hub? Because it's seriously the worst router ever. Go out and buy a seperate router ans set the hub to modem mode.

Just set up my wireless connection. Worked first time no hassle.

You guys using Virgin's "Super" Hub? Because it's seriously the worst router ever. Go out and buy a seperate router ans set the hub to modem mode.

Yes I am. That's probably the problem!

Yes I am. That's probably the problem!

I'd recommend one of these:

https://www.msdist.co.uk/product_AirRouter.php

I literally know the interface back to front as well so I can walk anybody through how to use one of them. Important point though, these do not have a modem in so you'll need to use this as an addition to your Virgin box.

Bloody hell - just spent 70 minutes on the phone trying to connect my Wii U. Got it sorted now, but just a warning to anyone who uses Virgin to prepare for some pain!

Care to share the settings with us buddy?

I can't connect :(

Care to share the settings with us buddy?

I can't connect :(

See my post above or give me more details on what problems you're having.

See my post above or give me more details on what problems you're having.

Hi mate, I tried the settings you suggested. Changed the dns to opendns (tried Google's) I get as far as connecting to the network but it fails at the internet part.

Tried disabling upnp and dhcp it doesn't seem to change anything though.

Hi mate, I tried the settings you suggested. Changed the dns to opendns (tried Google's) I get as far as connecting to the network but it fails at the internet part.

From the top of my head, this is what I did.

Set security to WPA2 (think it was the first one on the list)

I added 10 onto the last part of my IP address. For example 192.168.0.3 became 192.168.0.13

Subnet mask was 255.255.255.0

The bit under this was 192.168.0.1 (the same number I used to log into my router)

DNS was set at 8.8.8.8 for the first one and 8.8.4.4 for the second one.

I left the other settings as they were. Try it and see if it works, if not I'll check my settings again for you.

From the top of my head, this is what I did.

Set security to WPA2 (think it was the first one on the list)

I added 10 onto the last part of my IP address. For example 192.168.0.3 became 192.168.0.13

Subnet mask was 255.255.255.0

The bit under this was 192.168.0.1 (the same number I used to log into my router)

DNS was set at 8.8.8.8 for the first one and 8.8.4.4 for the second one.

I left the other settings as they were. Try it and see if it works, if not I'll check my settings again for you.

That's good then. So almost exactly what I've said above but just with more specifics on the subnet on IP used on Virgin routers.

Don't worry about disabling DHCP, that's not going to do you any good at all for your other devices connecting if it's turned off!

But the fact that you're connected almost totally rules out any problems to do with the wireless side of things.

Probably a firewall issue then. At first I'd recommend just turning it off completely at first to see if that's causing the issue. I'm going to be doing some port analysis on this over the weekend so I should be able to let you know some specific ports to open up. Then you should be able to put the firewall on again and add in exception rules to allow the traffic through.

Edited by Jamba
Automerged Doublepost

That's good then. So almost exactly what I've said above but just with more specifics on the subnet on IP used on Virgin routers.

Yeah! *pretends to know what you're talking about* :p

I honestly have no idea about this stuff! Took it to a mate's house last night and it just connected straight away. That's my kinda shit! :D

Yeah! *pretends to know what you're talking about* :p

I honestly have no idea about this stuff! Took it to a mate's house last night and it just connected straight away. That's my kinda shit! :D

It's kinda of harsh for Virgin really. They are trying to make people's connections secure and fairly easy to set up but if a completely new device comes out that doesn't work anything like a PC or a phone then you can't really expect them to have taken it into account.

Make sure the firewall on the superhub is disabled. It shouldn't be needed most PCs have one anyway. See if that helps.

Same problem for me, went through all the manual set up stuff, turning off the firewall, changing security types but still have a leaky connection. My Wii U is right next to the router, downloading the update at the moment but I am expecting the worst that I'll be back to square one any minute now. Killing my buzz!

EDIT: Think it's due to interference with the Gamepad and router. Just moved the Gamepad onto the table to stop my cats from getting to it and the download stopped, saying there is a connection error. Geeze.

Edited by killthenet
Automerged Doublepost

i to am having problems connecting wii u to super hub, i was thinking of doing manuak set up, but where it says enter sub address etc, i dont know ehere to find this info? can anyone help? cheers

Same problem for me, went through all the manual set up stuff, turning off the firewall, changing security types but still have a leaky connection. My Wii U is right next to the router, downloading the update at the moment but I am expecting the worst that I'll be back to square one any minute now. Killing my buzz!

EDIT: Think it's due to interference with the Gamepad and router. Just moved the Gamepad onto the table to stop my cats from getting to it and the download stopped, saying there is a connection error. Geeze.

Ahhhhh, that would explain it. Switch the hub from 5Ghz mode to 2.4Ghz (54mbps). I think the pad works on 5Ghz. They will be interfering with each other.

Most people don't need 5Ghz enabled anyway unless your broadband is over 54mbps; your devices are Wireless N or you require high speed LAN.

Edited by madeinbeats

Ahhhhh, that would explain it. Switch the hub from 5Ghz mode to 2.4Ghz (54mbps). I think the pad works on 5Ghz. They will be interfering with each other.

Most people don't need 5Ghz enabled anyway unless your broadband is over 54mbps; your devices are Wireless N or you require high speed LAN.

Fuck, yeah turn off 5.8 all together. Unless you have a proper Mac (not an ipad or any of those) then 5.8 is a waste of time!