NEurope
Wii

Mighty Switch Force: Hyper Drive Edition (eShop)

Mighty Switch Force: Hyper Drive Edition Review

Developer: WayForward Technologies | Size: 487 MB | Price: $9.99

Officer Patricia Wagon is back. Eleven months ago, back in the 3DS eShop, we were first introduced to her – a cybernetic, intergalactic policewoman on the hunt to apprehend five escaped prisoners in the fast-paced platformer Mighty Switch Force. She pursued the Space Hooligan sisters through several puzzle-packed stages, using her unique helmet-mounted siren to dynamically switch blocks in the environment from the background to the foreground and vice versa. The levels were all built to be the stuff of speedrunners’ dreams, and while I had some issues with the pressure imposed by the game’s ever-present par times, I still recognized Patty’s debut as a great game in my 8/10 review.

Now, a great game has become greater. Mighty Switch Force: Hyper Drive Edition is the new Wii U-exclusive upgrade of that 3DS design, and it makes two key changes to its source material. First, it adds all-new “Hyper” versions of each level – making them much more challenging – and second, it remasters/redraws every piece of art in the game.

MSF-Comparison.jpg

Before and after.

The Hyper levels don’t require much analysis, as they are suitably stressful and the players who mastered the original game’s set of stages will no doubt love the chance to pull their hair out in frustration over how maddening these remixes can be – their addition alone is enough to recommend a double-dip for dedicated fans of the first release. The art, though, is the real draw here.

It’s absolutely fabulous. It looks like a concept artist’s sketchbook has just come to life on the screen – Officer Wagon, the Hooligans, every enemy character and even the Ugly Twitching Dog all look brilliant in high definition, with fluid animation built from animation-cel quality still frames that exceed the work of several cartoons on the air today. Mighty Switch Force was pretty before, as WayForward’s skill at spritework is legendary – but this is just gorgeous.

What’s more, you can choose to view that art in two different ways – up on your HDTV, or held in your hands via the GamePad-only mode. Either method is excellent, and after some new Wii U owners get a taste of how addictive the GamePad-only play style is through other titles like New Super Mario Bros. U, this new Mighty Switch Force will be a great option to keep the pseudo-portable good times rolling.

Hyper Drive Edition isn’t perfect, as I do still wish the par times could be toggled off for the first run through the game. The Wii U GamePad’s buttons also doesn’t feel quite as precise as those on the 3DS in handling Patty’s movements – getting the timing right in triggering block shifts will take a bit of brain re-training for veterans of the first version, and your completion times will likely suffer a bit to begin with.

And WayForward missed the second chance to add leaderboards. For a game so focused on speedrunning and completion times, it’s silly to not have a place to brag about your best runs – especially since the studio’s had almost a year of extra time to implement them. There’s the Miiverse community, of course, but its casual posts and commentary are no substitute for seeing your name at the top of a list of runners-up.

THE VERDICT

So Mighty Switch Force: Hyper Drive Edition doesn’t go as far as it could have gone in remastering the 3DS original, but the changes that are present here are superb – veterans will love the challenge of the new Hyper levels, and the quality of the high-definition art is so good that it’d be worthwhile to buy the game on looks alone. Here’s hoping this is just a first testing of the waters for WayForward and Wii U, as I’d love to see what else this artistic studio could accomplish on Nintendo’s new HD canvas.

8.5 Great.

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2012/11/22/the-wii-u-eshop-launch-guide-in-progress?page=2

This game has no thread so I thought I'd start one and what better way than with a very positive review.

Edited by Retro_Link

They could have used a 3DS screenshot that wasn't riddled with JPEG artifacts for the comparison picture.

I love the look of this game! Since I never played it on my 3DS, I will probably buy this!

They could have used a 3DS screenshot that wasn't riddled with JPEG artifacts for the comparison picture.

Agree. Laziness.

I actually prefer the pixel art approach of the original over the saturday morning cartoon look of Hyper Drive, despite 1080p splendor. I'll buy it eventually anyway, next time I'm feeling flush.

Nintendolife Review

"Mighty Switch Force: Hyper Drive Edition is just as fantastic as its 3DS predecessor. The controls are flawless, the graphics amazing, the music some of the best we’ve heard in any video game. It all really comes down to which D you prefer, 3D or HD. The Wii U’s graphical muscle is the perfect partner for WayForward’s art gods, so even if you’ve already had your fill of the original there’s some pretty big incentive to double dip." 9/10

http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/wiiu-eshop/mighty_switch_force_hyper_drive_edition

WayForward level designer Chris Schroder:

"You know it’s hard to say just yet. I mean we don’t have any plans, I should say that. Then again, we didn’t have any plans to add new levels for the first one. If it does well and people like it then yeah we’ll keep adding stuff. We can keep on adding levels if you guys want."

This game didn't do anything for me.

I should seriously look into what games I buy when it comes to the eShop.

Edited by Fused King

This game didn't do anything for me.

I should serisouly look into what games I buy when it comes to the eShop.

It's strange like that, Pullblox did nothing for me.

I'm excited to try Nano Assault though. And I am kinda interested in this after all the positive reviews of this and the 3DS original.

When does this game actually come out for WiiU? I was hoping it would come out for launch but havent heard when its due out.

Wen its supposed to be out? Thout it was for launch. I loved the 3ds version and will definitely get this, hopefully I can get a review copy :)

Saw a tweet about this this morning, and now Nintendo Life have an article about it, so I definitely wasn't imaginning it - North American customers can currently get this for 30% off bringing it down to $7 from $10.

Not sure how long for though.

Lovign the game right now, it meshes just the right amount of other game ideas into a simple yet addictive platformer. It also looks fantastic due the HD upgrade, the music also totally suits the visuals and gameplay style.

Disappointed by the lack of a reduction on this in the UK, I went and bought it anyway :)

The Saturday morning cartoon look is better in person than I expected and in fact is very reminiscent of Wario Land Shake Dimension. The music is all subtly remixed too and sounds fantastic. Seeing the Wayforward logo burst forth in HD gave me goose pimples for what the future may hold.

I'd love to see a Sonic game done in this visual style.. or Gunstar Heroes! :love:

Disappointed by the lack of a reduction on this in the UK, I went and bought it anyway :)

The Saturday morning cartoon look is better in person than I expected and in fact is very reminiscent of Wario Land Shake Dimension. The music is all subtly remixed too and sounds fantastic. Seeing the Wayforward logo burst forth in HD gave me goose pimples for what the future may hold.

I'd love to see a Sonic game done in this visual style.. or Gunstar Heroes! :love:

A new Gunstar Heroes in this style would blow my mind, they already did it on GBA, maybe Nintendo can do a deal, get that and Guardian Heroes rebooted

I really want this game! But I have way too many games to play now, so I will wait for a sale. But I really look forward to play this game, whenever that may be.

I picked this up on sale, great game! icon14.gif

Worth buying for the music alone, the soundtrack is outstanding!!:

http://virt.bandcamp.com/album/mighty-switch-force-ost

:bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy:

It truly is! I remember hearing the awesome song in the first teaser on 3DS eShop and thinking it was just for that. To my great surprise it was ingame music! And the game is filled with great tracks like that. That composer is a genius:bowdown:

Noticed Double Dragon on the right side and immediately searched for this http://virt.bandcamp.com/track/city-streets-1-double-dragon-1-mission-1:hehe:

I downloaded the OST quite a while ago, there's some awesome tunes in there, great game too.

Anyone know when this sale ends?

I downloaded the OST quite a while ago, there's some awesome tunes in there, great game too.

Anyone know when this sale ends?

It ends on February 7th, or so they said. I've been thinkin of downloading this, but I have already but down too much money on games lately. So difficult...

I've got a star on all of the normal stages now. :yay: Had to retry loads of times for some of 'em though, one mistake can really mess you up.

Now it's on to the bonus stages! :bouncy:

This game is so good. :)

Anyone that's yet to pick up an eShop game should definitely consider getting this, especially if you like platformers. And it's still on sale! :awesome:

I've got a star on all of the normal stages now. :yay: Had to retry loads of times for some of 'em though, one mistake can really mess you up.

Now it's on to the bonus stages! :bouncy:

Well done. I think I could only get the first 12 (on 3DS).

Bet it sounds funky through your sound system!

This game continues to be incredibly awesome. :cool:

I've now starred all stages and unlocked...

...Gym clothes patty.

:D

The title screen also changes.

You'll like this, @Grazza ;)...

zvjkiqq.jpg

But wait, there's even more!...

...Hyper Stages! :o

All 21 stages (16 normal and 5 bonus) remixed and with increased difficulty.

c8vqYqI.jpg

My playtime at this point is just under 8 hours, so to get through all of Hyper mode is going to be at least another 8 hours, probably more...

...making this game is an absolute steal at £6.29! icon14.gif

Here's a vid I recorded showing the difference between Normal and Hyper stages:

icon4.gifWARNING, the above spoilers are in this vid.

Brilliant video, RedShell (with added sound effects!) The Hyper stages look quite a lot more complex, really making you think about the blocks. I am definitely going to buy this when I get a Wii U. :)