NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Retro_Link

Far Cry 3

I'm not even sure there was a thread for this! I think we had one around E3 time maybe, but I can't find one in the search at least.

IGN Review 9.0

I may buy this. I've still got an enormous backlog I want to get through but I MAY buy this.

I keep seeing this advertised on 4oD. Although I promised myself I wouldn't buy it after seeing the 100th time, it does look interesting.

I had Far Cry 2 but never really got into it, I might have a play of that first instead...

Far Cry 2 was a complete and utter travesty, a horrible mess of a game that should be confined to a vault and launched into the sun.

Thankfully, Far Cry 3 looks like they've learnt from every single one of their mistakes, and done much more on top of that.

Far Cry 2 was a complete and utter travesty, a horrible mess of a game that should be confined to a vault and launched into the sun.

I continue to be completely baffled by the apparent backlash against Far Cry 2 years after it's release.

I continue to be completely baffled by the apparent backlash against Far Cry 2 years after it's release.

I can see why people took a disliking to it, but I think "travesty" is a bit harsh. I thought it was good for a while, but it just got too repetitive for my tastes and I got bored of it. I've still got it though, and I do intend to complete it at some point.

As for Far Cry 3, I did have the Insane Edition on pre-order, but I had to cancel it due to lack of funds. Mind you, I do have a massive backlog of games I have yet to complete, so I want to get most of those out of the way before even thinking about getting any new games.

I had no intention of getting this, but having just watched a few videos, this looks like Just Cause 3 (which hasn't even been announced yet, and this makes me sad). That in itself has made this rocket up my wishlist...

It's nothing like Just Cause 2 (which to me is a really good thing). I've not played it that long, but it seems to have elements from Assassin's Creed, Skyrim and Red Dead Redemption, while still being it's own thing.

Oh...

:hmm:

Give the Video Review at the top of the page a look.

Here's the Gametrailers Review 8.6

Edited by Retro_Link

Been playing this for 2 hours now. It's pretty sweet.

Haven't done much of the storyline. I enjoy exploring, surviving and...well, exploring.

This game appears to be freaking huge. Just "done" the second radio tower and on my way to the second main quest.

So far I've encountered lots of "greatest moments in my gaming life", like this:

While I was sneaking around some enemies, trying to figure out the best way to take them out without making a fuss, a tiger comes out of nowhere and attacks them. After it had killed to men, it decided to take its anger out on a pig. I took the chance to loot the dead men's bodies.

Two seconds later I heard a roar and the goddamn tiger was attacking me. I panicked and a fight for survival began.

I won. :awesome:

Yeah just been listening to the Gametrailers guys talk about this on Invisible Walls and it's sounding really good.

Haven't played a Far Cry game before (not really huge on shooters) but quite tempted to give this a go, just because of all the different things there are to do!

just because of all the different things there are to do!

I guess, as it is with every game, in the end all these "different things" repeat themselves.

With Far Cry 3 it seems that the way you can do these things is different every time.

For example:

You can/have to take over outposts, simply put: Kill every man there is! There are quite a few (32 or 34, not sure), so the main idea is always the same.

The beauty of this game is that even if you take on the same general approach (for me it would be stealth) every single time, it always plays out differently.

It might be bold to make such a statement, when I only cleared two outposts, but so far, every second of those two "battles" was amazing.

I rarely have been 'proud' of doing things/achieving goals in games. I actually planned how to lure out each enemy, trying to find the perfect spot to kill. And even then, I had to improvise more than once.

In not more than 3 hours of game play, Far Cry 3 has given me more of a sense of accomplishment than any other game in recent years.

I spent about four or five hours in the first "square", doing side-missions, looking for loot, killing animals in order to upgrade my bags (I already have access to all weapon slots) and just exploring. I've only just left to head to the next mission.

I already have access to all weapon slots

Nice :)

Need the last weapon slot. Which weapons do you use?

I have a silenced pistol and a silenced sniper rifle as well as the bow. Sneaking in this game is the tits.

Silenced pistol, silenced sniper rifle, bow and an AK-47 for when things go wrong.

Five hours in, secured two more outposts and deactivated two radio towers.

Also did my first rare animal quest. Now I have the largest ammo pouch :cool:

I need to find some Leopards, but so far haven't seen a single one.

Infiltrated the ship wreck to find out what Vaas wants to do with the kidnapped friends.

Nice mission. Loved how I could finish the first half without being detected and in the end had to engage in a firefight.

I can't stress it enough: This game is awesome. There are so many little things you can do, which actually matter.

Finding a few dollars can be as rewarding as winning a poker game, because they might just let you be able to buy a new weapon or an upgrade which helps you survive more easily.

Hunting down animals will net you a bigger wallet, a larger ammo pouch or weapon holster.

Harvesting plants allow you to enhance your abilities with syringes.

The focus is on survival, and so far I have never felt overpowered. I always had to plan my every move and use my equipment sparingly.

Though, I'm a bit skeptical about how the game will play out when I've upgraded everything. Will I be overpowered then?

Maybe playing on the highest difficulty (which I do) counteracts this. We'll see.

Just played this last night after getting it for Christmas (i was elsewhere without my xbox until now).

It seems pretty amazing so far. I've done the first couple of missions, and i'm enjoying it so far, although i almost failed the first outpost one as i ran out of ammo and had to kill the last guy with a knife.

Then on my way back i stumbled across a house which was overrun with Komodo dragons, so i got out to kill them all (it's really quite scary when you can still hear one, but can't see it) and then was ambushed by a passing jeep full of pirates. Molotov'd their jeep and murdered them all! Mwhahahaha!!!

Cool game!

I love the randomness of the wildlife in this game, One out post I went to liberate I opted for the stealth approach, I get close to the boundaries only for the guys inside to be alerted to something... a fucking tiger. Took practically all the guys out for me, then ran off without a care in the world.

While capturing a radio tower, a jeep goes past, pulls over, and again a tiger just mauls the 3 guys. So good.

Best method to get shark skin... Jet Ski kills! love it.

Don't think I'm far into the main story though

Burned down all the weed fields, class mission.

I've played the game for at least 12 hours and I haven't reached that story mission.

I've played the game for at least 12 hours and I haven't reached that story mission.

Wow really? It doesn't feel like I've been playing it that long.

I spent around 8 hours after clearing the first base before moving onto the next story mission.

Sign in to follow this