NEurope
D_prOdigy

SEGA 3D Classics

So... Streets of Rage 2! Whilst I never owned a copy of the original Streets of Rage (most of my friends seemed to have it), the sequel obviously arrived a year or two later and things were different. The sprites looked bigger and chunkier, and I was really excited for what seemed like a Final Fight-quality brawler on my Mega Drive.

The funny thing about the original release of SoR2, however, is that I never completed it. By this point, I didn't have as much chance to play 2-player, and with the longer stages, I generally found the game a bit too long and difficult to play in one setting (like Sonic 2, actually). I'm by no means saying it's a particularly hard game, just that I didn't find it very manageable given the circumstances.

Fast-forward to today's 3DS release by M2!

I'd been thinking about which character I would use first. As a teenager, my natural instinct was to play as Max (same goes for Haggar in Final Fight), as back then I wanted little more than to be huge and muscular! I remembered him being rather vulnerable, though, so I planned to use Axl this time. In the event, however, I most wanted to see if they'd censored Blaze's flying kick (they haven't), so I loaded her up first. The action was so addictive I couldn't help but play through the whole thing!

Note: in terms of censorship, this seems to be the same as the original PAL release. Whilst Blaze's flying kick is intact (unlike the US cartridge), the final boss still doesn't smoke the cigar he had in the Japanese original.

M2 have done a great job, getting this running like a dream. It's hard to explain, but back in the day, a brawler having sections of diagonal scrolling was a sign of arcade quality. These moments are done so smoothly in stereoscopic 3D, there are no obvious "layers" at all. The graphics in general are so pretty, especially the character sprites, I can't help but think the industry went backwards when it stopped using pixel art for 2D games (but then that's my pet rant :heh:).

Streets of Rage 2 is definitely an improvement over the original. If the first game is "small sprites + 30fps", the sequel is "big sprites + 60fps" (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Whilst the original is perfectly playable (with great music), it's easy to see why this is considered the peak of the series. I do actually think it's on a par with Final Fight - Sega being one of the few developers who could truly make something as playable. The difficulty is enough to be pulse-pounding and make you pay attention, whilst still giving you a fair chance of completing it with the allowed amount of lives and continues.

I had a blast playing through this tonight and will soon go back to it as Axl and Max. Streets of Rage 2 remains an exciting brawler and I really hope M2 bring us Bare Knuckle 3 (the proper Japanese version) next.

You must have JavaScript enabled on your device to view Miiverse posts that have been embedded in a website. View post in Miiverse

You must have JavaScript enabled on your device to view Miiverse posts that have been embedded in a website. View post in Miiverse

Did you set the game version to Japanese and ccvheck if it was still censored?

I had a blast playing through Sonic for the 200th time. This port is fantastic ( as is SoR2 ) and I can see all the praise you guys were giving M2 is certainly justified.

With the credit I bought today I have enough for a 3rd 3D Classic. It's a toss up between Space Harrier and Outrun, both of which take me back to my childhood.

Did you set the game version to Japanese and ccvheck if it was still censored?

Nope, only thought of that after I posted. I'll try it next time.

Needless to say, if it's in there, I'll post a cigar pic! :laughing:

With the credit I bought today I have enough for a 3rd 3D Classic. It's a toss up between Space Harrier and Outrun, both of which take me back to my childhood.

Personally, I think Outrun is better (with Space Harrier being outclassed by Afterburner II). However, obviously you know your stuff, and part of these is how they evoke the feelings of the time.

I reckon I'll end up with most of them next time there's a sale - I'm particularly thinking about buying Thunder Blade. I just love having these in my 3DS. The graphics, music and controls are all so perfect, and presented brilliantly by M2.

Edited by Grazza
Automerged Doublepost

I thought I'd jump at the chance to download Streets of Rage 2 on 3DS but I think I'd rather just keep playing it on the Wii Virtual Console.

Perhaps I'll get it another time :heh:

Here you go, @Grazza.

You know, I was feeling a bit tired and intimidated at the thought of playing again so soon, and thought to myself "Who do I know who goes through games at light speed and could check this easily...?" ;)

I thought I'd jump at the chance to download Streets of Rage 2 on 3DS but I think I'd rather just keep playing it on the Wii Virtual Console.

Perhaps I'll get it another time :heh:

Well, OK, but that's probably the PAL version and doesn't have the cigar!

You know, I was feeling a bit tired and intimidated at the thought of playing again so soon, and thought to myself "Who do I know who goes through games at light speed and could check this easily...?" ;)

To be fair, it was coming up midnight so I just jumped straight to the last level and had a check. :D

I had a blast playing through Sonic for the 200th time. This port is fantastic ( as is SoR2 ) and I can see all the praise you guys were giving M2 is certainly justified.

Oh my god buy outrun. Space harrier isn't very good at all and outrun is simply incredible!

Played through the whole game again, this time as Max. It feels great to have Max's extra power, especially against the bigger, stronger bosses (even though it's hard to use his wrestling moves in these situations). There's something primal about it.

I can't really explain how much enjoyment I'm getting out of Streets of Rage 2 this time around. It takes me back to when games were simple, accessible and exciting. Even though I do play longer types of game than this (like RPGs), SoR2 is making me recall when I'd have friends round and we'd load up several games in a session, rather than spend the whole time playing one game in particular.

Streets of Rage 2 is so good that they might as well take the original off the eShop (half joking)! I love my "Sega 3D Classics" folder - it's full of fun, simple titles that never get outdated. Realistically, I doubt the 3DS can emulate System 32, but there are still a few System 16 and Mega Drive titles the collection won't be complete without:

Golden Axe (coin-op)

Enduro Racer

Super Monaco GP

Bare Knuckle 3

After those I think that'd be about it, although I hope one day I can have a handheld with all the 16-bit 3D Classics on, plus 32-bit ones. Sega's 3D remasters are so good, it'd be great if Capcom gave their games the same treatment!

Out Run is just soooo good. :) A timeless classic. :love:

Loving all the additions/little details and of course the S3D in this version too. icon14.gif M2 did an amazing job with this. :bowdown:

They did some great work, didn't they? What a 3D conversion. :o How great is it even to be able to tweak the music? Splash Wave on headphones with a stupidly heavy bass is cringy yet amazing at the same time. :awesome: Do you find the unlockable arcade mode easier? I think (for me) the new version has only become a definite complete every run because of the car upgrades you get. Before getting the upgrades it took me a few goes to find my groove - sometimes I was running out of time two or three stages in but this could have been due to messing with the display options. The arcade cabinet is surreal yet a little touch of genius.

They did some great work, didn't they? What a 3D conversion. :o How great is it even to be able to tweak the music? Splash Wave on headphones with a stupidly heavy bass is cringy yet amazing at the same time. :awesome: Do you find the unlockable arcade mode easier? I think (for me) the new version has only become a definite complete every run because of the car upgrades you get. Before getting the upgrades it took me a few goes to find my groove - sometimes I was running out of time two or three stages in but this could have been due to messing with the display options. The arcade cabinet is surreal yet a little touch of genius.
Hey man, long time no see. :)

Yeah, I was super impressed with the attention to detail in 3D Out Run. icon14.gif Will definitely be checking out more 3D Classics at some point.

As for finding arcade mode easier, I just found the game easier in general this time around, even without the upgrades. ::shrug:

Tell me about it :blank:

I never played Outrun back at the time so don't really have a huge amount of love for it. I thought about downloading it on 3DS a few times but never got around to it.

Yeah, I was super impressed with the attention to detail in 3D Out Run. icon14.gif Will definitely be checking out more 3D Classics at some point.

As for finding arcade mode easier, I just found the game easier in general this time around, even without the upgrades. ::shrug:

Hey hey! What about the new radio stations, Cruising Line and Camino a Mi Amor? They both fit in pretty well, imo. I always thought that if I raced well in Out Run, the good bit at the end of Splash Wave* would kick in on stage five, making it a sort of victory lap. However on this version, even flooring it with all the upgrades on, the music always peaks on stage four. ::shrug: Unless its F-Zero X, 60fps must be too much for me.

I hope you are playing it on the highest difficulty? I bet you have been cantering through on the easiest which is why you sound like you're the bees knees. :heh:

By the way, how good does stage three of the hard route look with the 3D on? :awesome:

I never played Outrun back at the time so don't really have a huge amount of love for it. I thought about downloading it on 3DS a few times but never got around to it.

1986 was very early doors for us kids so not to worry. Its great stuff if you want an upgrade from the GBA version.

*Splash Wave: second only to Summer Time by the Fresh Prince and DJ Jazzy Jeff as far as summer songs go.

So, I've been going Streets of Rage crazy lately. I had a spare evening on holiday, so blasted through the 1st and 2nd games. First of all, I finished off Streets of Rage 2 with Sammy - he's great fun to play as; his speed easily making up for any lack of strength. I find all the characters easy to use, with the possible exception of Max (as fun as he is).

I was obviously slow to realise this, but one of the best features of these 3D Classics is that you can play the real Japanese version. I'm a total snob, and from now on it's Bare Knuckle all the way for me!

After finishing Bare Knuckle II, I thought I'd have another look at the original. I have to say, it's not a game I've ever been massively fond of, but I've gained a new appreciation for it now.

It's funny to think that Bare Knuckle was released only four years after 1987's Double Dragon, and actually has a fair amount in common with that game. Unlike the generally weak enemies in the Final Fight/Bare Knuckle II-type model (as great as that is), even the lowest hoodlum is dangerous - they can easily overpower you if you don't pay attention. With slightly smaller hordes of enemies than the typical Capcom brawler, it also has something in common with Sega's other beat-'em-up, Golden Axe (further reinforced by the "assist" move - similar to the magic in that game). Overall though, Bare Knuckle is an extremely unique game that doesn't play quite like anything else at all.

The movesets are also smaller than its sequel, which I actually think is a good thing. Every boss and enemy can be defeated with very specific tactics. Unlike the varying strengths of the protagonists in Bare Knucke II, the original game's characters are defined by a pronounced weakness rather than a unique strength. Adam has the technique for every enemy, but is slow to get himself into position with some of the bosses. Axel is fast enough, but his technique is lacking in some situations. Blaze, however, is probably the clear winner in this first game - though she may lack a little bit of strength (hardly noticeable, quite honestly), she has the speed and technique to handle any enemy.

Bare Knuckle is a short, exciting game. I completed it once with each character and actually know it much better than the sequel now. It feels like one of those games that I've really learned.

Hey hey! What about the new radio stations, Cruising Line and Camino a Mi Amor? They both fit in pretty well, imo. I always thought that if I raced well in Out Run, the good bit at the end of Splash Wave* would kick in on stage five, making it a sort of victory lap. However on this version, even flooring it with all the upgrades on, the music always peaks on stage four. ::shrug: Unless its F-Zero X, 60fps must be too much for me.

Absolutely love Cruising Line, it fits the game so perfectly. Camino a Mi Amor sometimes feels right and sometimes not so much! Still glad to have both of them.

I love how when you play without crashing, Cruising Line's styles/sections change with the scenery.

The best EQ I've found for both headphones and speakers is like a < shape - high treble & bass, leave the mids in the middle. Then I am on a 3DS XL and I know the new ones have way better speakers...

I accidentally clicked on one of Grazza's pic when skimming down and did you know the pic opens in a pop-up window where you can give it a Yeah! if you want? Pretty nifty.

Absolutely love Cruising Line, it fits the game so perfectly. Camino a Mi Amor sometimes feels right and sometimes not so much! Still glad to have both of them.

I love how when you play without crashing, Cruising Line's styles/sections change with the scenery.

The best EQ I've found for both headphones and speakers is like a < shape - high treble & bass, leave the mids in the middle. Then I am on a 3DS XL and I know the new ones have way better speakers...

The only way you play without crashing is by dropping it to 0* difficulty. :wink:

I'll have a tinker with the equaliser based on what you say. It seems like you can min max it in pretty much any combination and it still sounds decent!

The first M2 interview for Gunstar Heroes 3D is out now! :D

YO: Truly. To use a rather mundane example, I would say that 3D Shinobi III and 3D Streets of Rage were Kaio-ken, this project is M2 finally going Super Saiyan.

Can't wait for this one! It's gonna look insane! :bouncy:

Edited by Dcubed

The first M2 interview for Gunstar Heroes 3D is out now! :D

I've never been the biggest fan of this game. The first time I played it was on the 360 back in 2009 and I felt completely underwhelmed by it, especially after it had been hyped up over the years. Saying that, i've never been a big fan of Treasure in general. Very overrated developer, IMO. Out of the games they've made, i've have probably only really enjoyed Guardian Heroes.

I've never been the biggest fan of this game. The first time I played it was on the 360 back in 2009 and I felt completely underwhelmed by it, especially after it had been hyped up over the years. Saying that, i've never been a big fan of Treasure in general. Very overrated developer, IMO. Out of the games they've made, i've have probably only really enjoyed Guardian Heroes.

Awww..

Did somebody not like Wario World?

Awww..

Did somebody not like Wario World?

It wasn't that I didn't like it, more that it was highly average and very forgettable.

I'm exactly the same, right down to the Guardian Heroes detail. I would like to enjoy their games, but am not often able to. Most of the time, the gameplay is so unusual that it can be really difficulty to "get".

On an unrelated note, I really, really want Bare Knuckle III.

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201509/08087662.html

Japan is getting another retail compilation with 3D Sonic the Hedgehog, 3D Altered Beast, 3D Galaxy Force II, 3D Fantasy Zone 2 DX and 3D Thunder Blade, plus more titles to be announced.

Ken Sugimori is handling the artwork again, and there's a preview of the work with someone suspiciously mosaic'd out...

l_55e84605c3550.jpg

Ken Sugimori is handling the artwork again, and there's a preview of the work with someone suspiciously mosaic'd out...

I'm viewing this on my phone but I immediately got a Starfox vibe from the blurred out section!

Fox McCloud as Tails..? Arwing in Galaxy Force..? Starwing 3D..?

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201509/08087662.html

Japan is getting another retail compilation with 3D Sonic the Hedgehog, 3D Altered Beast, 3D Galaxy Force II, 3D Fantasy Zone 2 DX and 3D Thunder Blade, plus more titles to be announced.

Do you mean more titles for this compilation, or more in general? If the latter, GoNintendo posted the following:

Someone has supposedly been poking around the data tucked away in 3D Gunstar Heroes and found something interesting. According to the data they pulled, the following titles are mentioned.

Puyo Puyo Tsu

Golden Axe

Comix Zone

Landstalker

Sonic Spinball

M.U.S.H.A.

ToeJam & Earl

Shining Force

Poseidon Wars 3D

Missile Defense 3D

Columns

Maze Hunter

Zaxxon 3D

Blade Eagle 3D

Streets of Rage 3

Line of Fire

This needs to be true. If @Grazza sees there's a possibility of Landstalker and it doesn't happen... he might never recover.