NEurope
Cube

Wii U Headsets

As most of you are probably aware, the Wii U requires a headset. The requirements are simple: It needs a 3.5mm jack.

There are some more expensive headsets you can get - some that also to the normal game audio, and there are also immensely cheap ones like these mobile pone earphones (£2.40).

Another thing: If you have an Xbox 360 headset (£2.99) (which have an easily accessible on/off switch), then a 2.5mm to 3.5mm cable (£1.95) will sort you out there.

Edited by Cube

Are they alright for the money then these 360 sets? Seems like a decent solution after usb/bluetooth.

Are they alright for the money then these 360 sets?

The best way to describe them would be "adequate".

They do the job and are pretty cheap. I've only had to replace one in the 6 years I've had a 360 and given how cheap they are I wasn't really fussed.

Does anyone know if iPhone ones work?

From the looks of the links above I would have thought they would.

Does anyone know if iPhone ones work?

From the looks of the links above I would have thought they would.

Yes, I'm fairly sure they do.

Also, the headbanger headset lives on so. You'll need a female USB to 3.5mm converter but that can be picked up on Ebay for a few €'s.

Yes, I'm fairly sure they do.

Also, the headbanger headset lives on so. You'll need a female USB to 3.5mm converter but that can be picked up on Ebay for a few €'s.

So will one of these work?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-USB-to-3-5mm-Female-Jack-Plug-iPod-Shuffle-Data-Charger-Short-Cable-Lead-/321000523116?pt=UK_Computing_Sound_Vision_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item4abd1f456c

Just an update for those thinking of buying the above

Bought and tried these on the headbanger headset on my PC, headset didn't light up so I doubt it will work on the Wii U.

Yeah I doubt it would either. Don't those things need power from the USB?

I'm happy that this seems to use some standard inputs but I do have a half decent set of Sennheiser headphones but no mic... don't want to fork out for a new pair. Although, it would stop bluey from stealing them. And by that I mean sacrifice the Sennheisers and get another pair.

Yeah I doubt it would either. Don't those things need power from the USB?.

Yeah, I had my doubts but the sound quality of that headset is fantastic so I thought it worth a try. Only £1.50 down the drain.

Nintendo should really let these things be used straight from USB. Has anyone actually read they don't?

I'm so tempted by this! Anyone else picking it up @kav82 @lostmario

I'm going to try out the 360 headset on it first.

Spending enough as it is at launch.

I'm so tempted by this! Anyone else picking it up @kav82 @lostmario

If it's the only headset available then yes... although I want to see a few reviews for different headsets first.

what games actually will use it at launch ? cod , sonic tekken ?

CoD has been confirmed of being compatible with it. Not sure about others but it's only CoD I care about at the moment.

what games actually will use it at launch ? cod , sonic tekken ?

Sonic doesn't support it. I think Assassins Creed III does.

Sonic doesn't support it. I think Assassins Creed III does.

You never know, Sumo Digital might patch it to enable voice chat.

So these headsets... are they for voice chat only or do they also allow for game sound to be played through them?

So these headsets... are they for voice chat only or do they also allow for game sound to be played through them?

The Turtle Beach ones do, the 3.5mm only ones don't.

However, note that the Turtle Beach ones will likely need plugging into both the Wii U and the GamePad (and possibly both the Wii U's sound and USB).