NEurope
Hero-of-Time

The NEW New Super Mario Bros. U Thread

Sank a coiple hours into this last night, onto Rock Candy Mines and Meringue Clouds, thinking I've got about 10 levels left between the two, and everything else completed with all 3 star coins so far. It definitely is quite a challenging game in places, especially in these later two worlds, I wonder how long this might have lasted me as a kid now! Seeing mention of challenges here I took a couple for a spin to finish up the session, but I'm not very good at them :p One or two golds, mostly silvers and bronzes, interesting addition though, some look like they were an opportunity to further flex the dev team's creativity, can see why something like Mario Maker might have come into existence from it too.

Was playing the same worlds last night as you, @Rummy. Got all the Star Coins apart from the last three worlds - it's going to be a challenge from now on!

I felt it was getting quite tough in places trying to get/find coins, went from having my fairly constant 99 lives down to about 70-something on the counter, no doubt collecting quite a few along the way! I did consider whether it'd be better to try and just do it by completing the levels all through then going back for the star coins, maybe I'll do it for my remainder of them - it's just something that gets to me after finishing!

'Where IS that star coin?'

'Will I remember the level if I do this all later?'

'Ah well I'm sure it it won't take me THAT long...'

I wasted about half hour getting to a hidden wall/ledge with Yoshi when I already KNEW there wasn't a star coin there, but it looked so difficult I just thought it had to be something good! Turns out....it was just some bloody coins.

Edited by Rummy

I also thought this version was the best out of the NEW series. I loved it!!

I totally agree, its an amazing game. I loved it and it totally reminded me of Super Mario World, which is of course a good thing.

I have only played the Wii and Wii U NSMB games, but loved them both.

I totally agree, its an amazing game. I loved it and it totally reminded me of Super Mario World, which is of course a good thing.

I have only played the Wii and Wii U NSMB games, but loved them both.

You've played the better games out of the series, IMO. While the original and 3DS versions are good, they aren't a patch on their console brothers.

You've played the better games out of the series, IMO. While the original and 3DS versions are good, they aren't a patch on their console brothers.

Agreed to an extent, though I really liked how New Super Mario Bros. 2 made me completely rethink how I handled Mario games, rather than rush from A to B, looking for secrets as I went, I went through making sure to exploit every corner or the stage for my selfish coin lust

Agreed to an extent, though I really liked how New Super Mario Bros. 2 made me completely rethink how I handled Mario games, rather than rush from A to B, looking for secrets as I went, I went through making sure to exploit every corner or the stage for my selfish coin lust

Weirdly it was the excess of coins which made me NOT want to do that. I explore and hunt around levels dar more when I just have three coins to collect for example. When you get coins everywhere it loses any importance or specialness.... (i really hated this game :) )

And... finished 100%! I thought it was an excellent game in the end - I just had to rediscover my Mario skills. Hardest level for me was 9-8 Pendulum Castle. After that I dreaded what 9-9 would be, but thankfully they went easy on us. :)

I have to admire how easily Nintendo can put out a platformer of this quality. When you think of the controls, jump mechanics etc, quite honestly, it's hard to think of any other 2D/2.5D platformer that quite matches the New Super Mario Bros series. I love how they refine and refine it each time.

You must have JavaScript enabled on your device to view Miiverse posts that have been embedded in a website. View post in Miiverse

You must have JavaScript enabled on your device to view Miiverse posts that have been embedded in a website. View post in Miiverse

Love the way Mario casually jumps down after bashing Bowser. :laughing:

And... finished 100%! I thought it was an excellent game in the end - I just had to rediscover my Mario skills. Hardest level for me was 9-8 Pendulum Castle. After that I dreaded what 9-9 would be, but thankfully they went easy on us. :)

I have to admire how easily Nintendo can put out a platformer of this quality. When you think of the controls, jump mechanics etc, quite honestly, it's hard to think of any other 2D/2.5D platformer that quite matches the New Super Mario Bros series. I love how they refine and refine it each time.

Love the way Mario casually jumps down after bashing Bowser. :laughing:

Looks like you had fun in the end, after being so cynical :) Are you going to give New Super Luigi U a shot?

If only they were brave with the visual and audio design it could have really elevated this gsme much more, maybe some level variety and lose the AWFUL koopaling boss fights, no invention at all. Rayman Legends isn't as good but the style, music, bosses and occasional different style of level make it far more memorable.

Looks like you had fun in the end, after being so cynical :) Are you going to give New Super Luigi U a shot?

Not sure - is it harder? I'm not really up for more levels like Pendulum Castle etc.

Not sure - is it harder? I'm not really up for more levels like Pendulum Castle etc.

It's challenging. Wouldn't say harder, but it punishes you more.

For example, for me often when I start a stage I jump (don't know if it's just me), but one stage has a fire bar rotating just above you so that it kills you when you do it. Caught me out so often.

Edited by Serebii

This was hard to find :D.

So, I have finished beaten Bowser and new levels have appeared in the collected coins menu. But how do I enter them? I don't have all the coins, but in 3, or 4 worlds I do and still can't find the levels?

Thx.

Edited by Kounan

This was hard to find :D.

So, I have finished beaten Browser and new levels have appeared in the collected coins menu. But how do I enter them? I don't have all the coins, but in 3, or 4 worlds I do and still can't find the levels?

Thx.

Hidden exits in various stages :)