NEurope
Hero-of-Time

The NEW New Super Mario Bros. U Thread

Both ShopTo and GAME are selling it at £40...it's like they didn't get the memo that this is a budget release

Early days but they're probably unhappy the download cost is much cheaper than the RRP. With this in mind, they know that most people will probably go for download so sales of disc may be lower and therefore lower profits. While those who are going for disc are more likely to be collectors/core Nintendo fans and is hence an oppertunity for those retailers to get a bit of extra profit from a limited release.

It's probably just a default/placeholder price, I'm sure they'll lower the price later on.

Game.co.uk have reduced their price to £29.99, I have sent a price matching email to Shopto.net on this, hopefully they follow suit anyway.

Wow, only just realised that this is now available on ShopTo, I've put in my pre-order... hopefully the price gets lowered but if not ::shrug: well it is limited...

This and Pikmin 3 on the same day? it's gonna be epic :D but with that said I may just keep it sealed and buy it as dlc too as it will be very collectable I'm sure.

I just ordered it on GAME so I'll wait to see if it gets reduced elsewhere.. or to see if the download version is considerably less expensive :eek:

The physical version is obviously gonna be more expensive - not just because of the limited run but because it's essentially a full game that you don't need NSMBU to play.

That being said, I don't think the download is gonna be cheap as chips either. Isn't it just as many levels as the main game? So it's spiritually the 'size' of a full game.

I just ordered it on GAME so I'll wait to see if it gets reduced elsewhere.. or to see if the download version is considerably less expensive :eek:

It will be. GAME and ShopTo just missed the price memo since price wasn't set in the press release for Europe again

In Japan, it's 2000 Yen download, 3000 retail

In US, it's $19.99 download, $29.99 retail

Chances are for Europe, it'll be

Download: €19.99/£16.99

Retail: €29.99/£24.99

Amazon have dropped the price to £29.99 (of Luigi U) so hopefully the others follow suit.

How the hell are the motion controlled platforms going to work with the Pro Controller!?

The L and R buttons wont work because they're not analog...

Right stick maybe? Gonna be awkward... You wouldn't be able to actually jump while moving the platform, as your access to the face buttons will be impeded as you're using the right stick to move at that time (not to mention that it's gonna be like rubbing your stomach while patting your head to use two sticks at the same time...)

Disappointing to see Nintendo give in to public pressure on this matter... At least they didn't change it during the game's development, so nothing will actually be removed from the game in order to keep luddites happy...

Edited by Dcubed

I think it's really encouraging that they're allowing us to choose instead of deciding for us, and it's not like they're completely removing the option to use Wii remotes. Perhaps there are some 'luddites' out there who, having not previously owned a Wii, bought a Wii U bundle that included the Pro controller and were a little perplexed as to why they couldn't use it for to play multiplayer with NSMBU? Seems like a valid concern to me :)

This kind of attitude could result in them stopping making games that are only possible using the Gamepad or Wii Remote/Nunchuck altogether. Games like Nintendo Land or Game & Wario (which are completely impossible to play with a traditional controller) would never get made at all if people like this keep getting their way... It's a slippery slope :(

I doubt that Gamepad-only games will be out of the picture (seeing as every Wii U comes with one), but you've definitely got a point with the remote/nunchuck fragmentation. Perhaps this is why we're seeing Nintendoland being re-released and bundled with a Wii remote (at least in Japan)?

I think they're trying to go for a Wii Play type thing, positioning it as the go-to 1st Wii U game - increasing the game's value with that freebie remote, while ensuring that people can play multiplayer with at least 2 people and increasing the penetration rate of the Wii Remote amongst Wii U owners (though I'm sure that it's close to 100% anyway).

Shopto has dropped the price of Luigi U to £29.86. Still needs to be cheaper.

Finally decided on my action using good old maths:

Trade-in NSMBU for £22 (ASDA).

Buy physical copy of NSLBU for ~£25-30.

Net cost = £3-7

Keep NSMBU, download NSLBU DLC (1 month earlier) for ~£15-20.

Net cost ~£15-20.

No brainer.

Net cost = £3-7

Net cost ~£15-20.

No brainer.

Yeah exactly! DLC one month earlier it is!!! Wahoo!!!

Just to add, with your workings out you're pretty much selling NSMB U for £12... surely it's worth keeping for that?!

Yeah exactly! DLC one month earlier it is!!! Wahoo!!!

Just to add, with your workings out you're pretty much selling NSMB U for £12... surely it's worth keeping for that?!

Eh? I've got a physics degree... and I don't understand that figure?

Net cost = £3-7

Net cost ~£15-20.

No brainer.

I hope by no brainer you mean you've chosen the second choice

Nah... I have a very expensive child! Money is very important!

Eh? I've got a physics degree... and I don't understand that figure?

I hope you're in the middle of the degree then :)

The same result there is £12 difference, one you keep NSMBU and one you don't, hence the £12. Due to the EXTRA you pay for the physical copy of luigi

I hope you're in the middle of the degree then :)

The same result there is £12 difference, one you keep NSMBU and one you don't, hence the £12. Due to the EXTRA you pay for the physical copy of luigi

Aaahh! I see. Not really selling it for £12, that'll be my net profit!

I said "pretty much" selling it for £12. That's the difference, so keeping it would cost £12, selling it would make you £12. You don't get other games out of it so its all on NSMBU - don't try and get out of it :)

Seems a waste to get rid of NSMBU for a few quid

Not when I've 5*'d it! And it's just dust gathering!

I wouldn't get rid of it for £12 but I can also understand the reasoning if you never intend to play it again. Games like Super Mario World and Super Mario Galaxy are ones where I can see myself playing through them again several more times in the future but I never get those sorts of feelings with the New Super Mario Bros games..