NEurope
Hero-of-Time

The NEW New Super Mario Bros. U Thread

I just beat the game. Loved it, the game offered me a decent challenge, altough I still had over 80 extra-lives when I beat the game. I think it's just about the level of Super Mario World in difficulty; if I was still 10, as I was when I first played Super Mario World, this game would have destroyed me.

Anyway, now I got my first star and still have to look for hidden stages. I have missed three: secret stages in Acorn Plains and Layer-Cake Desert, and also Stage 4 from Peach's Castle. Now, I have no idea from which stage should I look for the secret entrances. Are there any hints?

I agree with everything you've said but don't you know you're not allowed criticise NEW Super Mario Bros. U? The Defenders Of The Dirt will do their duty as only they know how.

The difference is that he did it intelligently and with examples as to why.

Oh and the fact he HAS FUCKING PLAYED THE GAME!!!!!

The difference is that he did it intelligently and with examples as to why.

Oh and the fact he HAS FUCKING PLAYED THE GAME!!!!!

You're talking pony. I've given many, many, many examples of why I think this game is lazy as well you should know. I can't be bothered to rehash my points. As others have said, they got my message, so no need. Read the old thread if you want to see what I said.

NSMB2 really annoyed me for some reason, I felt that game was a bit rushed and the over reliance on coin collecting seemed abit cheap for my liking. I can't put my finger on it (maybe I just have with the coin issue), but I love this game, really think it is terrific and, to use a cliche, classic Mario. Which is odd as gameplay is the same as NSMB2, but after initially not being interested in this game because it wasn't a brand new Mario title, am really glad I picked it up on launch day, lots to do and its my bed time treat (steady), lights and tv off, this on the gamepad under the duvet before sleep. And I'm 27. Beautiful!

NSMB2 really annoyed me for some reason, I felt that game was a bit rushed and the over reliance on coin collecting seemed abit cheap for my liking. I can't put my finger on it (maybe I just have with the coin issue), but I love this game, really think it is terrific and, to use a cliche, classic Mario. Which is odd as gameplay is the same as NSMB2, but after initially not being interested in this game because it wasn't a brand new Mario title, am really glad I picked it up on launch day, lots to do and its my bed time treat (steady), lights and tv off, this on the gamepad under the duvet before sleep. And I'm 27. Beautiful!

I agree completely, hated 2 love this. I personally think the level design is incredible. However much I love Rayman, it doesn't have the control or level design close to this. But the visual and music creativity is incredible in that game from start to finish

I just don't understand the praise about level design in this game (assuming we're talking about the gameplay of each level, rather than the look). The majority are just so similar and uninspired. The Painted Swampland is a prime example. Here we have a beautifully DIFFERENT looking Mario level, and what does it actually consist of? Jumping from pipe to pipe, left to right. And that's it. Oh and the pipes will occasionally move when you jump on them. Zzzzzzzzzz. How long did the designer take to come up with that I wonder.

The rest are just as lazy, swapping baddies and obstacles in, but the same basic principle. A couple of exceptions apart, all the mid-world castles involve you going from bottom to the top, and hardly any are memorable as a result.

I just don't understand the praise about level design in this game (assuming we're talking about the gameplay of each level, rather than the look). The majority are just so similar and uninspired. The Painted Swampland is a prime example. Here we have a beautifully DIFFERENT looking Mario level, and what does it actually consist of? Jumping from pipe to pipe, left to right. And that's it. Oh and the pipes will occasionally move when you jump on them. Zzzzzzzzzz. How long did the designer take to come up with that I wonder.

The rest are just as lazy, swapping baddies and obstacles in, but the same basic principle. A couple of exceptions apart, all the mid-world castles involve you going from bottom to the top, and hardly any are memorable as a result.

I certainly agree with you when it comes to the boss battles, jumping on the head 3 times was certainly not the most challenging of things on Acorn Plains, let alone all the way til the end. However I never felt overly bothered by this lack of initiative, but maybe that says more about me than the game itself.

I actually whole heartedly agree with the ONM review where they did say it took awhile to get going, but much like @dazzybee I really liked the level design, was tight and very much what you would expect from Nintendo, whereas NSMB2 just didn't feel like that!

But isnt this EVERY SINGLE 2D PLATFORMER?! You move from left to right, lilling/avoiding enemies and jumping on things?!

Personally I loved how the designers led you on paths and how the secrets were placed; made it fun to play for me that I was being directed by the terrain, the coin and enemy placements; really thought it was exceptionally designed. Millions of tiny things dotted about that made me smile from a hidden pipe you can see the bottom of so you know the wall will disappear, you walk and you can't, oh, you have to jump over a little ledge. The ghost mansions were nicely played out, some of the end bosses were a little more imaginative than they have been; but these are still the weakest aspect of them! I really love the game and just love how much control I have over him!

Super Mario World had you going up down left and right, most of the levels were multidirectional. It had you flying underneath the flagpole to reach a secret flagpole behind it, or picking up a hidden key, swimming under the rock to a keyhole on the other side. There was that mystery of wondering how the red/green/blue switches would alter every level in every world. You'd spend an entire level on the back of moving platforms. NSMBU in comparison is very narrow and repetitive. Very safe, just as Nintendo seems to like to play it these days.

Super Mario World had you going up down left and right, most of the levels were multidirectional. It had you flying underneath the flagpole to reach a secret flagpole behind it, or picking up a hidden key, swimming under the rock to a keyhole on the other side. There was that mystery of wondering how the red/green/blue switches would alter every level in every world. You'd spend an entire level on the back of moving platforms. NSMBU in comparison is very narrow and repetitive. Very safe, just as Nintendo seems to like to play it these days.

Go back and play Mario World again. I love that game to death but the vast majority of the levels were left to right with no backtracking for keyholes or secret endings

New Super Mario Bros. U - Developer Discussion

Some interesting info on the little touches within this game that I wasn't aware of.

I love this game! I have now entered Peach's front yard. Up to now, I have found almost every star coin on all courses I have played. I know I miss about eight to ten in ghost houses, but otherwise I have found them all. But I have found few secret roads, only two, or maybe three, at least that I know of.

And after completing the Rock Mines, I found out the background on which the total star coins discovered in each area are written, turns yellow when all in that world are found. So up until Rock Mines, I had never found all star coins in one world, so I assume I still have lots to discover.

And some places on the map just looks so very inviting to house an extra secret course.

So far, I would say this game easier than NSMB Wii. On that game I miss about six star coins per world, on average. And I think I have not found any secrets on that game at all.

What are your thougths on NSMBW and NSMBU difficulty differences?

I haven't played this since the first week of getting my Wii U... I left it exactly halfway through, perhaps I will finish it off when I have less reviews to write and it'll be closer to Christmas! :santa:

I do love the game though but I've been putting most of my time into Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed. :)

Hmm so what's the deal with this.

Anyone who finished the game - can you help?

I have caught Nabbit in all worlds. Found all secret exits. Done the star world part. Got all star coins in the normal and star worlds... and only have 4 stars on my profile? WHERE'S MY 5TH STAR?! Anyone got any idea if I've missed something?

Hmm so what's the deal with this.

Anyone who finished the game - can you help?

I have caught Nabbit in all worlds. Found all secret exits. Done the star world part. Got all star coins in the normal and star worlds... and only have 4 stars on my profile? WHERE'S MY 5TH STAR?! Anyone got any idea if I've missed something?

Have you actually found all the secret exits? There was one in Rock Candy Mines which goes nowhere

Have you actually found all the secret exits? There was one in Rock Candy Mines which goes nowhere

We should have a 'report spoiler' button here as on Miiverse.

Well I have 4 stars on my profile and just needed to:

Catch Nabbit in the rest of the worlds. I did that, then got a message saying congratulations you have caught Nabbit in all worlds but no extra star. So I have a star for everything else but that?

There are 94 goals in this game, it shows the number on your profile. You have to find them all to get the fifth star. And naturally every star coin etc.

There are 94 goals in this game, it shows the number on your profile. You have to find them all to get the fifth star. And naturally every star coin etc.

Goals?

What are these 'goals' that you speak of?!

Don't forget to spoiler people!!

By goal, I mean a flagpole in a stage. Some of the have more than one. I don't consider that one a spoiler, since I think it's pretty clear to have hidden goals in a Mario game.

Just played the Sunken Ship, as boring and uninspired as the rest of the game. Yet another rehashed ghost house level, with the same music, with the main feature being ghosts flying in a circular formation, again. Sad how the equivalent version on a console four generations back was more interesting.

I finished it last night. Loved pretty much all of it, maybe except the bosses and especially the mid bosses ZZZZZZzzzzzzzz Other than that I loved it. Now to get the coins, secret exits and the post game content! And THEN the challenges, boost and such - massive game!!

Though already I'm struggling on some of the secret exits... Must. Not. Use. Guide!

Just got the notification for the Mario Youtube vids and thought "yeah yeah"... but wow, the first one is genuinely awesome! :o