NEurope
Hero-of-Time

The NEW New Super Mario Bros. U Thread

I never rushed through it. I just played it constantly. I was up at 6am yesterday and only stopped to play a bit of Black Ops 2, before jumping back on to Mario. It was a nice combo I had going. :D

Ah fair enough, hardcore! Mario U is the only Wii U game that interested me so I HAVE to make it last ;)

Finally finished with 3 stars on them all. Took some time !

To get 5 stars on my save apparently I need 94 flag poles but iv finished every level with 3 stars. Not sure what to do ? Anyone who has the 5 stars Any help ?

Edited by m_fergy

Without any spoilers, what's the game like after you finish the main storyline? Decent special levels or a bit of a letdown?

Finally finished with 3 stars on them all. Took some time !

To get 5 stars on my save apparently I need 94 flag poles but iv finished every level with 3 stars. Not sure what to do ? Anyone who has the 5 stars Any help ?

You have to find ALL the secret exits for the levels. Some may just be another pathway. You also need to catch Nabbit on every World.

Without any spoilers, what's the game like after you finish the main storyline? Decent special levels or a bit of a letdown?

Yup special levels are there too be had and they are frustratingly fun!

Well that's Bowser dealt with. Epic final battle. Now for the long arduous journey to get 5 stars on my profile.

Had a blast playing this yesterday with my sister and friend. I just sat and just the game pad whilst they played through. It adds a whole new way to go through the levels when you have someone that can just place platforms anywhere. Opens up so many possibilities. Or just evilness :grin:

Miiverse really does add to the game too.

Yup. Run For It was a nightmare.

Reminded me of the evil Nerve Wrack pack from NSMB2, just without the gold flower

Haha love that above.

Is anyone finding this game to be a little tricky?!

I know some of you have finished it already but I am only into world 4 and already I am finding there are levels where I am eiher totally clueless ::shrug: or I am losing like 10 lives a time just trying to get through the course ha.

It's definitely a challenge and does feel like a step up from the other 2d Mario's I have played before.

I just hope it doesn't start to border on frustrating / annoying as I am losing my temper with it a bit already haha. :p

Haha love that above.

Is anyone finding this game to be a little tricky?!

I know some of you have finished it already but I am only into world 4 and already I am finding there are levels where I am eiher totally clueless ::shrug: or I am losing like 10 lives a time just trying to get through the course ha.

It's definitely a challenge and does feel like a step up from the other 2d Mario's I have played before.

I just hope it doesn't start to border on frustrating / annoying as I am losing my temper with it a bit already haha. :p

My mate came to stay over the launch weekend and we did two player on this (both wii remotes), breezed through the first 3-4 worlds, then it got very very tricky, maybe because we couldn't help but prat about a bit too much, and sometimes you just can't help bouncing off each other, but we finished world 5 and physically and mentally couldn't play on, we were losing up to 10 lives each on levels and it did get frustrating...but you can't stay mad at Mario for long! However come 10.30pm Saturday we just looked at each other, and without saying a word switched the console off and watched Match of the Day.

Yeah it can get a little bit frustrating and i can only imagine it being slightly worse in multiplayer ha. still having loads of fun with it though so thats good - it just sometimes gets me a little angry... haha

It's definitely the hardest of the NSMB games I'd say, I'm only in the third world and I'm finding it tricky.

It's definitely the hardest of the NSMB games I'd say, I'm only in the third world and I'm finding it tricky.

Agreed. Are you getting all the Star Coins as you go? I have 3 separate playthroughs on the go at the mo - one solo, one with my brother and one with a mate :confused: Decided I'd go back and get all the coins before I go any further (up to I think World 6) and I've enjoyed Layer Cake Desert much more this time. One visual detail I love on that is when you get to some of the hidden areas and the orange sky/clouds look like rolling sand dunes. Beautiful.

I won't go to the next world until I've found all the star coins in the previous one, which stops me from rushing through the game I think. But I was having trouble finding a star coin in level 1-2!! A few of them are very tricky. The backgrounds and art style of Layer Cake Desert may be nice but as usual with NSMB the actual gameplay in the desert world is quite boring and samey. Not much character there, unlike in say SMB2/3 and for that matter Mario 64.

Well turns out I had missed a whole world whilst playing through this!

Not sure how, but as I was moving through the levels getting star coins I stumbled upon what looks to be an aquatic / watery world!

Always good to find! I did think actually that I hadn't done that many worlds!

Anyway, seems there is still much to be done with this game which I am looking forward to, though I have to admit the later worlds / levels did border on pure annoying :laughing:

Well turns out I had missed a whole world whilst playing through this!

Not sure how, but as I was moving through the levels getting star coins I stumbled upon what looks to be an aquatic / watery world!

Sparkling Waters is a really lovely world, loads of fun. It'll be a welcome bit of light relief after those tougher later levels! I started trying to write a piece of music inspired by it today as a matter of fact - because I'm so bored of hearing the same tropical theme! :laughing:

Edited by Lens of Truth

Sparkling Waters is a really lovely world, loads of fun. It'll be a welcome bit of light relief after those tougher later levels! I started trying to write a piece of music inspired by it today as a matter of fact - because I'm so bored of hearing the same tropical theme! :laughing:

Ha I must admit I do normally love the water worlds in the Mario series!

And I found myself enjoying the game again before when I was searching for the star coins.

I just found the later worlds really really frustrating. To the point where I thought I would just 'get it out the way with' and then trade it in.

However, I've since seen sense and decided to try and 100% it.

I love Mario, but I've always much preferred the full 3d adventure games as aposed to the side scrollers. Think it may be to do with being too young to remember the early ones on the NES / SNES and also growing up with a Mega Drive and not getting into Nintendo until N64...

On a separate note - when you say writing music, do you mean for instrument play?! :)

I got up to the start of Rock Candy Mines and something told me I should go back first and collect all the Star Coins before progressing.

I just spent a while messing around on the piano and I'm going to try to midi-fy it and see how it sounds. My playing's pretty awful! If it turns out to be not too shameful I'll post it :)

Well I've just now stumbled upon yet another world I missed first time round! I honestly have no idea how I missed 2 (maybe more yet!) worlds out whilst managing to get the the last part.

Very strange. This one is Soda Jungle.

So onward to the jungle! :D

Well I've just now stumbled upon yet another world I missed first time round! I honestly have no idea how I missed 2 (maybe more yet!) worlds out whilst managing to get the the last part.

There's no excuse when you have such a gorgeously inviting world map! :p

Anybody else finding this quite difficult? I'm only on the third world and I died for fun on certain levels so far.

I don't know whether I've just become crap at 2D Mario Platformers or whether this is just a really tough Mario game!

Anybody else finding this quite difficult? I'm only on the third world and I died for fun on certain levels so far.

I don't know whether I've just become crap at 2D Mario Platformers or whether this is just a really tough Mario game!

I find completing levels is still okay-ish. But getting the 3 Star coins is just silly on some levels...