NEurope
Jamba

What Do You Want From F-Zero UX?

So there's been a lot of talk about the possibility of a new F-Zero on Wii U and shockingly Miyamoto has gone on record to say that he was surprised that anyone was all that bothered. Shows what he knows! :p

So what would you want from it? How would you like them to use the Wii U features? Do you think that online would be a good thing?

Plus which characters should make a return? Should we have less lycra? In this day and age do we need a Ms. Captain Falcon?

Explode your brain all over this page! That's an order!

Edited the title as I thought a new one had been announced!

I was trying to have a little joke at Nintendo's expense but yeah I get ya. :hug:

T be honest if love just anew fzero with a bunch of new tracks, online multiplayer and single player missions like GX.

If they wanted to revamp it... I don't know. I just don't think I'd want something like most wanted for fzero. Just incredible track design rather than an open world. Or even a risky gta version.

I also don't buy this only sold 200,000 copies. I they did a new one, it would sell a lot more than200.00!

What do I want? To see it released. Anything else is a bonus.

Not even joking, it was so stupid that we waited an entire generation without hearing or seeing anything about this. The Wii was starved of quality racers, quite severely so. Want a way to bring the hardcore in, make use of your online facilities and kill two birds with one stone? Release F Zero, Nintendo.

Brilliant generation, for me. Countless classics that I've enjoyed. But, the one glaring omission was a serious racing game on a Nintendo console. As excellent as ExciteTruck was and is, it arrived so early on and although ExciteBots improved on it further, we didn't have it in Europe.

The Wii would've been fine handling it. GX looked gorgeous, so this would have been on a par with that looks wise.

What do I want? To see it released. Anything else is a bonus.

Not even joking, it was so stupid that we waited an entire generation without hearing or seeing anything about this. The Wii was starved of quality racers, quite severely so. Want a way to bring the hardcore in, make use of your online facilities and kill two birds with one stone? Release F Zero, Nintendo.

Brilliant generation, for me. Countless classics that I've enjoyed. But, the one glaring omission was a serious racing game on a Nintendo console. As excellent as ExciteTruck was and is, it arrived so early on and although ExciteBots improved on it further, we didn't have it in Europe.

The Wii would've been fine handling it. GX looked gorgeous, so this would have been on a par with that looks wise.

You've just made me think of something interesting. Would you want this controlled with gyros? Personally tilt would be a massive mistake with F-Zero so here's hoping to using analogue sticks!

A ModNation/Trackmania style editor would be brilliant and perfect for the gamepad! Drawing those twists and loops with the touch screen would be great fun. I'd love it if this was somehow integrated into the 'story' as well - even in the most minimal of ways, where you perhaps take the role of some sort of architect/overlord.

For the story mode itself I'd prefer them to ditch the crappy CG from GX and return to the crazier comic book style from X - this would also have the bonus of saving money.

I'd love to see them turn it into a real community, with online tournaments, track sharing, Miiverse, the works. There could be a "Design a Character" competition where, say, the 5 best chosen by Nintendo get modelled and released as DLC. :)

I honestly think the series would be a great fit for the WiiU and it would surely sell more than 200k if they pitched it right to the 'expanded audience'.

It would have to be something fundamentally different to justify a new game being made really; the series needs a huge shake up in the same vein as F-Zero X.

How about a free roaming mode, where you have to explore Mute City and other planets - driving down super fast highways in search of a bounty. Along the way, you bump into unscrupulous foes that challenge you to on-the/spot races (think Burnout Paradise) or missions like the ones you got in GX!

Also, how about some spherical planetoid tracks, where you had lots of different crossing race tracks (providing ample opportunity to beat the crap out of each other as you pass by other players :D )

They could also implement new gravity shifting mechanics, where some tracks will have your ship flying upside down, or even sideways on a vertical wall! (And any hit to another player is an almost guaranteed death :) )

Heh, this is starting to sound like F-Zero Universe :laughing: (Why the hell not and all? The biggest untapped part of the series is its game universe after all!)

Edited by Dcubed

You've just made me think of something interesting. Would you want this controlled with gyros? Personally tilt would be a massive mistake with F-Zero so here's hoping to using analogue sticks!

No excuse not to have both. Two control schemes, optimised both for Gyros and for analogue. Personally, I'd use gyros since the scheme works a trick for games like ExciteTruck. Steering is much more of an issue for me than acceleration/braking (that you get with analogue triggers). Still, this WiiUPad has both analogues and gyros, so no real reason why we can't have both.

If the gyros weren't optimised with the speed and precision of this game in mind, then it would play like shit.

As great as the controls are for racing games, it's a bit of a travesty that we haven't seen enough of this genre like we have with shooters. Due to this, we have a certain standard for Wii shooters. And it works.

I was thinking about how huge the character rosters got in the series and one thing I always find is that it's a little hard to get a connection to them when there are so many to choose from. You just settle into your favourites and don't try and explore much.

How about taking more of a career mode approach? What races you win, who you waste, what tournaments you choose all influence what kit is available for you and for how much. You get to customise your character and machine however you like. Hell I'd even go all out and add in some Mass Effect style sections to generate the story mode which could further modify that. You know... in case Nintendo are feeling ambitious.

F-Zero GX sold 650,000 copies not 200,000.

You're quite right! Don't know what put that figure into my head! 650k is respectable in my book.

Edit - ah, it was the chatter in the Nintendo Land thread.

Do you think that online would be a good thing?

Online is all they need. The perfect engine already exists, all we need now is the ability to play beyond your living room.

Well, that, and a multiplayer mode that supports more than 4 vehicles, of course.

A level editor, like what was in that 64DD expansion.

An online mode would be great. I'm not certain about having a leveling system, but considering how nearly all cars were locked in F-Zero GX, I don't see it'd be too much of a problem. I'd like the possibility of creating clans with your mates, and have some kind of collective win/loss ratio, collective unlockables etc.

The single player needs to be easier. That I need to play tournaments to unlock new campaign missions is pure BS, and the campaign missions themselves were nigh on impossible at times. In general, the single player is too short. Race through a preset number of cups, then repeat them on increasingly high difficulties.

Also, I'd love to see a whole slew of extra game modes. Arcade style checkpoint races, police evasion, team cooperation etc. And also, 30 vehicles isn't that much anymore. Up the vehicle count to let's say 100. And the track design could perhaps contain a few shortcuts.

I don't think F-Zero is a franchise that needs much change; afterall it is nearly 10 years since the last hone console iteration. New tracks, a revision of pilots (with special, worthwhile endings for each) and thats about it. An online component would be incredible - 30 might be stretching it a little (especially with Nintendo's so-far poor attitude to online gaming) - but I would be happy to pay a monthly subscription for server-based online anyway.

F-Zero GX + online + background stories to pilots (no seperate mission mode) = WinU

I'd actually like, say, Monolith Soft to flesh out the F-Zero universe and enable us to free roam through the city we saw in the cutscenes of GX.

Of course racing on wicked tracks would still be the main attraction of the game, but it would be nice to do some exploring in that futuristic city, and, you know, practise Captain Falcon's other profession a little more. He is a bounty hunter after all!

Online is really all it would need, and maybe a level/vehicle editor (you unlock things as the game plays through)

I'd actually like, say, Monolith Soft to flesh out the F-Zero universe and enable us to free roam through the city we saw in the cutscenes of GX

No, I would rather see monolith be making a good game.

Only team from Nintendo I could see making this game is Retro.

What's funny is all the talk of analogue triggers on the U - lack there of - but playing F-Zero on the U with digital triggers will make me smile... .. a lot. Pissed me off on the Cube - they really put me off.

Not sure what else they can do with the intense neon strobe graphics; I'm surprised GX didn't get banned in some countries it was so mind bending.

GX in HD, that is all.
This and

GX rereleased on Wii U with online multiplayer!
this.

Seriously I'd take GX in HD with online multiplayer. Anything else would be a bonus. The game is that good in any generation. It's hard to improve on near perfection!

GX with added online, death race, random track generator and track editor would be amazing.

The single player needs to be easier. That I need to play tournaments to unlock new campaign missions is pure BS

Really? I thought you only needed to play tournaments to unlock the higher difficulties.

And I say, let the difficulty stay. The tournaments aren't that hard once you get the hang of it, and only the Story Missions on higher difficulty require perfect precision (and really, if they're labelled "Very Hard", that's what we should expect).

If the harder races can be conquered with practice, and the difficulty is never truly cheap*, then that's just yet another testament to the quality of the game: Genuine difficulty, as opposed to making the opponents superhuman*

*(except in certain Story Missions)