NEurope
The Peeps

Xpert Eleven Season 25: A New Hope

I have a 19-5 midfielder with no specs that I've got on the transfer market if anyone wants a cheap youth. If you want to put a bid on, the player is Jonny Sharpe.

I have a 19-5 midfielder with no specs that I've got on the transfer market if anyone wants a cheap youth. If you want to put a bid on, the player is Jonny Sharpe.

Peeps I will cover 1,3 and 5 of the first round games if you want?

Tales I put a bid in for Yusri.

Selling a 16 2 midfielder with greedy, free kicks and quick. He is valued at 1.7 mil which I thought was a lot but I guess if you double jumped him would be worth it.

Anyone who wants him for a bit less let me know.

Edited by Haden

Thanks. I checked the market and I could get a little bit more so I put him there just in case.

Need some advice, gentlemen. It's regarding formations. Let's say that I was playing 4-3-3 with offensive tactics. Am I right in suggesting that the number of chances depends on the midfielders as well as the strikers? What if I had, say, a pair of 11 rated strikers and a 9, yet played with a couple of 6's and a 7 in midfield. Would I still create more chances because the strikers are good, or would I actually create less because the midfield was weak?

I'm basically just wondering how important the midfield is in the game. In reality, if you played 4-3-3 with a weak midfield, unless you played long balls, you'd create nothing.

I'd say it was the latter option you suggested. If the midfield are weaker they won't have possession to create chances.

Long balls don't work great for me so 4-3-3 is not a favourite of mine.

Home advantage and a stronger team, you'd probably be ok but it'd be low scoring and risky. Away from home, not a chance unless maybe you played defensive (maybe long balls too) and got lucky. I've only done 4-3-3 if I've not cared about the result and I've needed to play three forwards for DV.

It's hard to get right and when it does work there's no real indication of what actually did go right :p

Yeah, it seems to be an underused formation. I see 5-3-2 used more often than 4-3-3, almost.

Only seen 4-2-4 used once. Never going to try that. I know Dragooooo play offensive, but that is just batshit crazy. You will get about 15% possession with that. :p

Never try 4-2-4 lol its the worst formation possible.

To me midfield is basically where xpert is won and lost, I personally think it dicates chances more than anything.

I also think the game is rather broken in the sense that I have seen lots of teams play defensive against another team playing offensive, xpert then seems to punish the offensive team and give more chances to the defensive team (I guess on the idea of counter attacking football). I am really put off playing offensive unless I am against a really poor team.

As for formations I find 4-5-1 is basically the best formation in the game, even with a sole striker the game seems to reward this play style more than 4-3-3. Having said that if you have 3 great midfielders that could get a better mf rating than 4 of your opponents then I would say go for it.

I think 4-3-3 is a good home formation and 4-5-1 the defult away formation.

Having said all this when you play me next season I will be playing 4-2-4 just to throw you off balance :p

A defensive team wins against everything. I've come to learn that better than anyone.

I tried 4-2-4 once. I think i lost.

You're crazy, though. Surprised you didn't play your goalie up front. :p

I also think the game is rather broken in the sense that I have seen lots of teams play defensive against another team playing offensive, xpert then seems to punish the offensive team and give more chances to the defensive team (I guess on the idea of counter attacking football). I am really put off playing offensive unless I am against a really poor team.

Oh My God, Yes. It doesn't really make sense. In theory, an offensive team should mean a team that plays the ball forward and therefore creates more. A defensive team would be a team that sits back and soaks up pressure. Yes, they would hit you on the counter, but they shouldn't really be creating a heap of chances. Certainly not more than a team playing offensive.

Can someone explain this cup thing and what I need to do for it?

The cup was introduced as our off season tourney, so while people are sorting out their sqauds for next season and wanting to play some games it gives us time to do both and have some fa cup fun.

Basically Recall will do the draw and then Peeps will post it (Just thought Peeps might be an idea to admin post it for people that don't read the thread.) then you see who you are playing.

Because we have a wierd number of teams for a tourney the first round is only played by a few teams, while everyone else gets byes so we can get the magic 16 for the 2nd round so everyone can be in a cup game from then on.

You are one of the teams who got a bye but friendlies are set up for these teams, your friendly is against Recall so go on to Recalls team page and invite them for a friendly.

In the next round if you are at home invite again and if you are away wait for the invite. Carry on doing this and checking until you are eliminated from the cup.

If you are eliminated then just find other people who are eliminated and use that time to play friendlies and prepare your squad for your first season :D

I beat a far stronger team in the master league with 4-2-4 and long balls once.

I did have a couple of amazing strikers at the time though.

All the formations must have their benefits otherwise what's the point in them?

I beat a far stronger team in the master league with 4-2-4 and long balls once.

I did have a couple of amazing strikers at the time though.

All the formations must have their benefits otherwise what's the point in them?

Oh yeah, they'll have a benefit sometimes. But, in general, if you played 4-2-4 against decent stronger teams on a regular basis, you'd get turned over a fair bit. That midfield is too weak, unless you've got 2 really, really highly skilled and high form players. I've not got the guts to do it, yet.

Never even tried 5-2-3, seems too weak in midfield again, for me. I'd be willing to give 5-3-2 a try, most likely with long balls.

Sometimes, I wish the game were dynamic enough to accept different formations when you change substitutes. For example, if you're playing 4-4-2 and are losing, you could sacrifice a midfielder for a striker and it would change to 4-3-3. Pretty sure that would mess up the preparations though, such as when your opponent prepares against your formation, maybe.

Ok, need advice again: I've been recommended a 20 6 midfielder with a training cone, leader and stamina. To me, he seems like an absolute must, but I'm wondering if I should be looking for somebody younger?

He's awesome, keep him. If not, sell him to me.

He's mine, fuck off! :D

With a training cone, I know it means he keeps high form. Is the DV rising/Skill rising linked in with age as well as high form? So, even if he's say 30 and still has really high form, he won't raise a level because he's old? How does it work with age?

He's mine, fuck off! :D

With a training cone, I know it means he keeps high form. Is the DV rising/Skill rising linked in with age as well as high form? So, even if he's say 30 and still has really high form, he won't raise a level because he's old? How does it work with age?

Yeah. A while ago someone linked to this really useful spreadsheet of dvs to skill rises for various age groups. Basically you need a much higher DV for a 24 year old to rise a skill level than you would for a 17 year old.

So if you were to buy a 17-4 year old instead you could easily get a 20-7 and possibly a 20-8 given a double jump.

And I believe it's way easier to keep a youngster in high form - plus DVs go up with less game time.

That all said, I still like 20-6's - and if you get yourself a skill raise every season it's a decent progression (24-10 is alright). So if he's got the cone I say go for it...

When do we challenge for the cup? Do we wait until Tuesday, or do it now?

Games are to be played ON tuesday so challenge as soon as possible to give both teams a chance to set tactics.

Oh yeah, they'll have a benefit sometimes. But, in general, if you played 4-2-4 against decent stronger teams on a regular basis, you'd get turned over a fair bit. That midfield is too weak, unless you've got 2 really, really highly skilled and high form players. I've not got the guts to do it, yet.

Never even tried 5-2-3, seems too weak in midfield again, for me. I'd be willing to give 5-3-2 a try, most likely with long balls.

Sometimes, I wish the game were dynamic enough to accept different formations when you change substitutes. For example, if you're playing 4-4-2 and are losing, you could sacrifice a midfielder for a striker and it would change to 4-3-3. Pretty sure that would mess up the preparations though, such as when your opponent prepares against your formation, maybe.

Ok, need advice again: I've been recommended a 20 6 midfielder with a training cone, leader and stamina. To me, he seems like an absolute must, but I'm wondering if I should be looking for somebody younger?

I have often wished I could do something like that, switch to 4-5-1 from 4-3-3 if I am in the lead by 2 goals or something.

Still xpert has advanced quite a bit to be fair, player compatability and subs are something that wasn't in the game when a lot of us started. I would like to see some players have a preference to say be a winger and others a defensive mf. Still I guess that would make it a lot like FM.

I have often wished I could do something like that, switch to 4-5-1 from 4-3-3 if I am in the lead by 2 goals or something.

Still xpert has advanced quite a bit to be fair, player compatability and subs are something that wasn't in the game when a lot of us started. I would like to see some players have a preference to say be a winger and others a defensive mf. Still I guess that would make it a lot like FM.

Same! It would make the transfer market even more exciting, knowing you needed a left back rather than a centre-back.

It would make the all-rounder special quality more important, though. Knowing you had a player that could play at left or centre-back would be excellent. Or striker and left wing, for example.

It is exciting seeing the game and interface change. It's changed a fair bit since I joined, which is the only way to improve it. I'd also like to see maybe a few more ways to earn money. Not really interested in the pools. Maybe a bonus if you manage to get a defender to score or every-time you get a clean sheet, for example.

Yeh that is exactly what I think would make it good. Xpert is one of those easy to pickup (well easyish) hard to master type of games but I sometimes wish it had a bit more depth.

I do feel you have a tactical battle with your opponent but would like one or two more things to make it even better. Like if you did wing plays you could assign players you would like to try and cross the ball in the same way you do a playmaker and intellegence, stamina and speed would be good qualities for this person.

Still things are changing all the time so who knows what is round the corner!