NEurope
Dcubed

Shantae and the Pirate's Curse

Thought this was quite interesting. Nintendolife interviews Matt Bozon:

He reveals that WayForward took a cautious approach in developing two launch titles simultaneously, though along the way one project was diverted into a different eShop altogether. "We actually hedged our bets by creating two launch games, and Plan B was Mighty Switch Force HD. Good thing for Plan B! Plan A transformed into the Shantae 3DS game we announced recently.”

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2012/12/developer_interview_wayforward_technologies_on_the_first_days_of_the_wii_u_eshop

So, a Wii U Shantae was on the cards, but the they decided on another handheld game instead. I wonder if the plan is to make everything in pixel art first, then make a hand-drawn HD version as and when deemed necessary?

Perhaps three Shantae handheld games, then a trilogy game on Wii U, where they merge the handheld ones into one game (not three separate games) with amazing graphics.

Thought this was quite interesting. Nintendolife interviews Matt Bozon:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2012/12/developer_interview_wayforward_technologies_on_the_first_days_of_the_wii_u_eshop

So, a Wii U Shantae was on the cards, but the they decided on another handheld game instead. I wonder if the plan is to make everything in pixel art first, then make a hand-drawn HD version as and when deemed necessary?

They probably didn't get very far with the Wii U version. They probably toyed with the idea of having it as a Wii U title for launch, but when that proved to be unfeasible, they shifted that to the 3DS and ported MSF instead.

That being said, I think a Wii U version of Pirate's Curse is inevitable at some point...

Somewhere down the road I hope we get some original content from Wayforward for the Wii U shop :(

EDIT *reads full interview*

If it’s anything like DSiWare, we’ll test the waters a bit and then try to roll out something a bit heftier. That’s a prediction, not a reveal of some secret project. I just see a lot of patterns in the way we work. Multiple Wii U retail titles for sure, and Wii U eShop exclusives are very likely too. From my own experience, the system is a game changer.
:) Edited by Lens of Truth

Looks good. Looks DAMN good! Hope it still comes out before the end of the year!

He reveals that WayForward took a cautious approach in developing two launch titles simultaneously, though along the way one project was diverted into a different eShop altogether. "We actually hedged our bets by creating two launch games, and Plan B was Mighty Switch Force HD. Good thing for Plan B! Plan A transformed into the Shantae 3DS game we announced recently.”

Heh. Guess it wasn't Pirate's Curse after all, but rather it was Half Genie Hero ;)

Thankfully, this does look really good! Let's be honest, it still looks very much like Risky's Revenge, which is a good thing.

Now I've listened to it with the sound on. That music... :heart:

Edited by Grazza

Tried out the demo at Eurogamer (only very briefly - didn't want to spoil too much)

It's the dog's bollocks! DAT EXPANDED FIELD OF VIEW! :D S3D looks lush too (it's more of a subtle effect than in the Mighty Switch Force games, but very nicely layered still - very pleasing to the eye :))

Didn't play it for long, but there are some well done environmental puzzles that make good use of the abilities Shantae acquires (like the pistol that activates switches out of reach). Feels great and opened up FOV makes the world feel much bigger and less cramped (much appreciated when it comes to enemies that scroll in from off screen :) )

Yeah... All of my want! (The rep also said that it's still on track for a 2013 release).

They're also working on a Shantae Game for WiiU right?

When is that one due, or is that a remake of some sort?

They're also working on a Shantae Game for WiiU right?

When is that one due, or is that a remake of some sort?

Dunno when it's due, but it's not a remake. It's a sequel that seems to be unrelated to the ongoing storyline from Shantae 1-3.

Good news! It's heading to the Wii U as well!

Shantae And The Pirate's Curse is currently one of the most eagerly-awaited 3DS titles in the Nintendo Life office, but this is an adventure so epic that it simply couldn't be contained to a single system. We're pleased to share the exclusive early news that WayForward is also bringing Shantae's latest outing to the Wii U eShop.

Wii U version for me.

Another game announcement before e3. Crazy! Have they got that much new stuff to show? Or are they just utterly mental?

Well, that's the best thing I've seen all day.

* Love the character at 1:04 ;)

* Really cool outfit at 1:20

* Genie statue at 1:28

* Massive bosses

LOVE this trailer. It shows that Shantae and the Pirate's Curse is made of the right stuff.

But wait a minute...

Join Shantae and Risky Boots for the epic conclusion to the critically acclaimed Shantae series

Conclusion? :weep::shakehead

Think they meant the trilogy/storyline since it follows the GB/DSiWare game. Otherwise I want my kicker starter money back!

Because they're working on a new Metroid? :p

Think they meant the trilogy/storyline since it follows the GB/DSiWare game. Otherwise I want my kicker starter money back!

But that's a prequel! :heh: This still could be the conclusion. :cry:

Ah, forgiven then. ;)

Oh, it's a prequel? Didn't know that. :shrug:

Noooo!