NEurope
Retro_Link

The Amazing Spider-Man 2

What do you think about the badguys all seemingly coming about through Oscorp hiring or test subjects?

I think it's fine. I'm not one to cling to comic-book canon unless there's only one set story in the first place. There are so many iterations of Spider-Man it changes all the time. For example, Venom in Ultimate Spider-Man is a suit designed to cure cancer but then weaponised, not an alien substance.

Speaking of Ultimate, Ultimate Rhino is not that far off what we have seen in this trailer:

usm28_p02-03.jpg

As for Ock and Vulture, Maybe they're not a product of Oscorp R&D, but rather this is set a few years later and that's technology that Oscorp has seized from some of Spider-Man's past rogue gallery.

Dane DeHaan is going to be fucking phenomenal in this movie.

I think it looks fucking sweet.

That's true.

It does very much look like Oscorp have designed a bunch of suits ready to step into though, that Doc-Ock suit looks living, the actual feathers on the Vulture suit, the eels. I guess a Spider suit was to be one until Peter got mixed up with that. I suspect Harry will simply choose the Goblin suit instead of there being any real meaning behind it.

And I suspect you're right in that is how Venom will come about, another Oscorp suit designed to help save Norman Osborn.

Btw, does Spidey ever really leave New York in the comics? are there any stories set abroad?

I just wonder if the Spiderman films slightly suffer from always being set in New York, things/set piece all start to get a bit samey. Would be a good reason to see him in The Avengers.

I think that looks very promising, however, I'm also a bit sceptical about there being three villains.

Oh no! I just realised, with Gwen Stacy present and now the Green Goblin in the movie, do you think that he will kill her off?? I hope not, Emma Stone is brilliant (and rather hot)!

Oh no! I just realised, with Gwen Stacy present and now the Green Goblin in the movie, do you think that he will kill her off?? I hope not, Emma Stone is brilliant (and rather hot)!

There are shots of her wearing the same clothes as comic Gwen when she died.

the-amazing-spider-man-2-gwen-stacy.jpg

Personally I dont think they will do it. If they do though, they should never have cut Mary Jane out of this movie. She needs to be seen with the both of them and built up before being thrown in as the next love interest.

So any theories of the guy in the hat that was walking past the display of the doc Oc arms? Looks the same person as after the credits in the first?

So any theories of the guy in the hat that was walking past the display of the doc Oc arms? Looks the same person as after the credits in the first?

That is what is believed, yes. See Retro_Link's video above.

Terrified about so many villains, though they may be teasing them in a certain way...I'd bet one of the them (probs Rhino) is barely in it.

Terrified about so many villains, though they may be teasing them in a certain way...I'd bet one of the them (probs Rhino) is barely in it.
I think probably the opening sequence of the film is against Rhino's mob, as that's what Peter explains to Gwen he's been doing before they meet up.

This obviously leaves Rhino pissed, his mob will probably be in it somewhat throughout, maybe busting him out of jail (maybe using the mech) or?... and then he'll come back at some point later on in the film in the mech?

I'm not sure who will end up being the Venom of this movie, if by that you mean shoehorned in?

Because it seems Spidey will come up against Rhino during the intro and then later on in his mech suit...

Goblin initially seems rushed into this movie, but if the Norman Osborn story is a constant throughout these films then Harry's Goblin could actually be the best planned villian.

... which leave Electro... certainly the focus seems to have shifted further and further away from him as development of this movie has gone on? maybe he'll end up being the third wheel.

Its virtually guaranteed that this film is setting up

The Sinister Six

In the third film.

I say bring it on. I don't think a lot of villains is the problem, I just think its an unhappy coincidence the super hero movies with a lot of villains have not tended to be very good. The good ones are the exception rather than the rule (hay X-Men and X2)

I thought that when I saw mention of a few names earlier on - I FINALLY watched the trailer the other day though and didn't see any Shocker? Just Rhino and Electro and a Goblin of sorts? It's not the most traditional six that I'm familiar with.

I think it's fine. I'm not one to cling to comic-book canon unless there's only one set story in the first place. There are so many iterations of Spider-Man it changes all the time. For example, Venom in Ultimate Spider-Man is a suit designed to cure cancer but then weaponised, not an alien substance.

Speaking of Ultimate, Ultimate Rhino is not that far off what we have seen in this trailer:

usm28_p02-03.jpg

As for Ock and Vulture, Maybe they're not a product of Oscorp R&D, but rather this is set a few years later and that's technology that Oscorp has seized from some of Spider-Man's past rogue gallery.

I concur, one thing I actually liked about the first and this(and some of the other modern marvel films) is their moving a bit on from canon - not just sticking to how it was. Moving more towards Ultimate is good imo, though I dropped off that when it stopped getting released over here.

What do you think about the badguys all seemingly coming about through Oscorp hiring or test subjects?

Again - is that all too bad? It gives, as someone said, an opportunity to waste less screen time crafting intricate back stories and also creates something Spiderman tends to have - an overarching bigger picture/villain/puppet master. That's often been Osborn as it is, so it's actually not too bad to have here. Of course, I'm drawing from a limited and outdated arsenal of comic knowledge here, so I could be mistaken.

Also re:Goblin - are we 100% sure it's Harry's?

Edited by Rummy

I don't mind the concept of there being a Sinister 6 puppet master, be it Osborn or Kingpin, but in the comics/cartoons all the villians are established anyway.

I dunno, in principle the idea is ok... I just hope the villains are more than just thugs in the films.

Do we think Electro will survive this film and be in the Sinister 6?

Question: Also... in the 90's cartoon I seem to remember Red Skull being involved in the Sinister 6 story, is that right?

And Another: What was that bad guy in the 90's cartoon that was kind of like a servant to Kingpin maybe? and had the weird shoulders?

Edited by Retro_Link

Great trailer analysis!

Oooooooooook. Interesting/tantalising stuff! Def looks like a Harry Goblin. Also thinking back to the 90s TAS Spiderman - would it be mad to consider about the plane scene they refer to with the possible Richard Parker aaaaand...maaaybe....a Chameleon? WHO KNOWS.

I don't mind the concept of there being a Sinister 6 puppet master, be it Osborn or Kingpin, but in the comics/cartoons all the villians are established anyway.

I dunno, in principle the idea is ok... I just hope the villains are more than just thugs in the films.

Do we think Electro will survive this film and be in the Sinister 6?

Also... in the 90's cartoon I seem to remember Red Skull being involved in the Sinister 6 story, is that right?

Also Also ;p what was that bad guy in the 90's cartoon that was kind of like a servant to Kingpin maybe? and had the weird shoulders?

Don't think Red Skull was involved. I'm likening things here more to the 90s tbh. Weird shoulders for Kingpin? Smythe? Ended up in a chair then some weird mutant with shooty bits on his shoulders you mean?

Hatman. He appeared in the cell...somewhat with ease? It seemed strange, almost mysterious. I wondered if it was someone who could phase/teleport/appear places buuuuuuuuut...what if it was a...master of illusion? EDIT: Actually no, I take that back. I forgot his actual role in the film and what he says/asks of Connors. Could still be a chameleon, though.

Edited by Rummy
Automerged Doublepost

Ahh yes Smyth...

Slayer%20Smythe.jpg?timestamp=1241836338660

Red Skull was definately in the 90's Spiderman cartoon for one of the story lines, because that would have been the only way I knew about the character before the recent Marvel films, but I'm not sure what the story would have been? I did think it may have been Sinister Six related, but hmmmm...

rskull.bmp

Ahh yes Smyth...

Slayer%20Smythe.jpg?timestamp=1241836338660

Red Skull was definately in the 90's Spiderman cartoon for one of the story lines, because that would have been the only way I knew about the character before the recent Marvel films, but I'm not sure what the story would have been? I did think it may have been Sinister Six related, but hmmmm...

rskull.bmp

I dropped an e on Smythe. Red Skull was in it! He was part of the Doomsay device/Captain America story bit(eventually getting locked away in time or something). The six may have been involved come to think of it, I'm sure Chameleon definitely was for some reason.

EDIT: Having a quick check I think another version of the sinister six do end up in the red skull story line, along with the 'six forgotten warriors' who were the old folks with their magic rings and ting, somehow related to the super soldier program iirc and thus red skull and captain america. Also in 90s TAS they referred to the Sinister Six as the Insidious Six instead, possibly due to being a slightly varied line up to the comics.

Edited by Rummy

Amazing Spider-Man: Venom, Sinister Six spinoff films unveiled by Sony

Sony Pictures has announced two Amazing Spider-Man spinoff films.

Venom and The Sinister Six will expand its comic book franchise by focusing on Peter Parker's foes.

Writers Alex Kurtzman, Roberto Orci, Jeff Pinkner, Ed Solomon and Drew Goddard will be overseeing the franchise with producers Avi Arad and Matt Tolmach, and director Marc Webb.

Kurtzman, Orci and Pinkner are writing the screenplay for The Amazing Spider-Man 3, which Sony hopes Webb will direct.

Venom will be penned by Kurtzman, Orci and Solomon, with Kurtzman in line to direct.

The villainous team-up movie Sinister Six will be written by Goddard, who may also direct.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a537998/amazing-spider-man-venom-sinister-six-spinoff-films-unveiled-by-sony.html

god damn it sony if your going to be asshats and keep the licence atleast sign a deal to allow spiderman in the avengers and visa verse

I don't understand the idea of a Sinister Six side story... so it will just be about the villians or?

Bit annoying how Sony and Fox are trying to emulate [and probably badly] Marvel, instead of just coming to some agreement with them, so they can at least mix and match and all make great movies.

Edited by Retro_Link

Maybe a bit of a compilation of origins/crimes, ending with a coming together and a setup to have them feature in a later spiderman film.

I've always generally held contempt for Sony across the board, and it irks me they're pushing so hard to keep the rights(I understand it's good business though). I'd really really love to see all the Marvel lines return to Marvel's control though. I fear too much of this kinda stuff'll just be cashing in without caring enough - churning out quantity at cost of quality and causing fatigue. Superhero/comicbook movies are all the rage these days.