NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Star Wars Episode 7: The Force Awakens

Everything was leaked over the last couple of weeks, hell I watched one particular scene a couple of days ago!

Generally speaking I loved it but one thing really has me angry with it...

When they return from battle at the end to the resistance base, right after Han's death, Chewbacca walks straight past Leia without even looking at her! There's not the slightest acknowledgment between the two of them, no moment of bereavement or anything! These were the two that loved Han the most, who both knew that... how could they not embrace, comfort each other, anything?!

It's as if everyone was instantly over it, like it was almost a non-event. The only significance it held was for Kylo Ren!

It's really riled me!

Might elaborate on my earlier post, but don't want to rant now.. Bu some people have already posted the issues I have wth the film.

In short: a lot of convenient things happening without or with little explanation, things were to easy, no sense of real urgency, especially for the later films, a lot of things felt just too familiar, and I'd like to have seen some more character development.

Probably a silly question, but I was wondering if anyone knew what details were leaked before release. I'm assuming a lot of you did what I did and avoided all news stories about it over the last few months, but I was curious to know if any of the major plot details got out.

Obviously the major point about Han's fate remained a secret, but what about Kylo Ren being Han and Leia's son? That was probably my favourite plot point and allowed Harrison Ford to give a more nuanced performance than we're used to from him. Were people aware that Rey was Luke's daughter? I had assumed she would be the daughter of one of them but had any concrete details about that leaked before release?

All I knew about the film going into it was that Luke was missing, everything else was a complete surprise.

Since I didn't feel any hype for a long time, I actually did what I normally never do: actively seeking out all rumours. I eventually stopped doing that because in this case it was simply overwhelming. Anyway, it's a good thing I have a very bad memory, because

I actually did read about Kylo being Han's son, and Kylo ending up killing his father. I totally forgot about it, and only remembered after the fact. But I don't know if this was an actual leak, or an educated guess. Can't remember any other stuff actually.

Edit:

one example.. This is from February, and pretty (albeit not totally) accurate:

http://makingstarwars.net/2015/02/star-wars-force-awakens-huge-spoiler-death-great/

Edited by Sméagol

Saw it and liked it very much! Its much better than any of the prequels. The characters were great.

Good job by everyone involved.

The only low points were music isnt to the same standard(for a star wars) and that it open ups plot points but doesnt close that much.

Pretty awesome film all round really.

In regards to him being a bit easy to defeat/hurt: It was established all the way through that he was reckless when angry and generally undisciplined, so it didn't surprise me too much that he wasn't a total badass in the end fight.

I did think he was going to kill himself and Han Solo with the pointy out bits of his light sabre, although I realised that would avoid a proper end fight.

I also didn't like him as much once he had taken his helmet off. He lost a lot of his intimidating personality at that point.

The second they showed the bridge, it was obvious he was going to die there. It was such a Star Wars death location.

I may be a bit in love with her. Very pretty.

Her force powers did develop a bit quick and conveniently, but it didn't bother me too much.

At the start of the end fight, it did bother me that the actress didn't seem to be fighting convincingly, but then I suppose the character had just got the lightsaber, so it didn't ruin the scene of anything.

Not a lot to say really. He did the job well and was an interesting enough character. I did find it a bit weird how much personality he had for someone that had been trained as a storm trooper since childhood, but it wasn't a huge deal.

Loved the way they gradually revealed more details about the events between Episode 6 and 7, especially how they revealed why Kylo Ren had force powers. They could have just said that he was the son of Leia, but instead they just said that he was Han Solo's son and allowed the audience to figure out the rest.

X-Wings are still amazing.

Didn't really like the force persuade bit. Just seemed a bit silly really.

How come? What was it?

I got it wrong in my previous post about it. I thought it was

Chandrila, but that's where the New Republic senate is located. The planet that was destroyed is called Hosnian Prime, which is where most of the New Republic fleet was located. It's never been mentioned before the film

When they return from battle at the end to the resistance base, right after Han's death, Chewbacca walks straight past Leia without even looking at her! There's not the slightest acknowledgment between the two of them, no moment of bereavement or anything! These were the two that loved Han the most, who both knew that... how could they not embrace, comfort each other, anything?!

Agreed. He just stood in the background awkwardly.

It's as if everyone was instantly over it, like it was almost a non-event. The only significance it held was for Kylo Ren!

It's really riled me!

At the start of the end fight, it did bother me that the actress didn't seem to be fighting convincingly, but then I suppose the character had just got the lightsaber, so it didn't ruin the scene of anything.

She was actually waving the lightsaber around the same way that you would attack with a staff, so the way she fought actually made sense.

Fun few hours. Slightly contrived in places, few tears were shed. Overall a fine continuation of the OT - the new cast was fantastic and all brought new and interesting things to the table. Roll on the next one!

It's really riled me!

I disagree completely, there was a shot shortly after their return of Chewbacca looking absolutely devastated. It's pretty clear to me that at that exact moment, after having to put his emotions aside for the sake of the mission, he just had to get away from everyone and be alone.

Edited by Guy

She was actually waving the lightsaber around the same way that you would attack with a staff, so the way she fought actually made sense.

It wasn't so much the way she was swinging it, more that it looked like she wasn't really fighting at all. It looked like her swings lacked impact.

It wasn't a huge deal and it did kind of fit the character, as she wasn't supposed to know how to fight with a lightsaber at that point.

Well that was a good movie, not amazing but good. I enjoyed it, just found it a bit too derivative of A New Hope. Aside from Finn's backstory, it felt too safe, that they were too afraid to try new stuff and so were stuck rehashing past elements.

But still, it was good and it was also good to have a Star Wars movie with believable dialogue.

For me it was almost a remake/greatest hits of the original trilogy.

All the locations were there sand/snow/forest same characters, ship, weapons and even lines.

There were some real plot holes that I feel you just have to overlook, I keep asking myself the same question... why does Kylo Ren wear the mask? Darth Vader needed a mask to keep him alive.

My son who does not have the affinity with the original films was crying and at the end was very angry. He didn't understand why the film was set so long after Jedi and thus didn't show what had happened during those years, I had to explain that as the actors are so much older that had to place it years later.

I actually felt it needed to be longer, so much was just presented without any back story or information and you just had to decide in your own mind how that came about.

There were some real plot holes that I feel you just have to overlook, I keep asking myself the same question... why does Kylo Ren wear the mask? Darth Vader needed a mask to keep him alive.

It's quite clearly a confidence thing, as well as wanting to emulate Vader.

This isn't a plot hole.

He was obsessed with his grandfather. He didn't need the mask, no, but wanted to be so much like Vader he wore it anyway.

There are a lot of "gaps" in the story but remember we have 2 more in the trilogy to come. And personally I've always found it quite fun trying to work things out for myself/chatting to others about it, rather than being given everything on a plate.

Saw it this morning and absolutely loved it.

It was everything I wanted from a new Star Wars film and much much more.

Edge of your seat stuff.

Roll on May 2017 and Episode VIII

I had a feeling Han was going to die but didn't expect it to hit me like it did, holding back the tears a little when Kylo ignited the lightsabre.

I felt so sorry for Chewie to witness his best friend die, I expected him to rip the arms off a few stormtroopers in his rage.

Rey is adorable, her character build throughout the movie was perfect, as was Finn's.

They nailed the character of Kylo, the conflict he felt, his anger and obsession with Vader.

Snoke, when he first appeared, I thought he was huge and wasn't so sure about him being that big but then you realise its a hologram of him and its hopefully not his actual size. I wonder how old he is and if he has any connections to the Sith.

Leia's introduction was perfect then with C3P0 showing up interrupting them, one of my favourite parts of the movie.

I liked the size comparison of the Death Star and the Starkiller Base.

Final battle with Kylo, Finn & Rey was great. Rey igniting the lightsabre, holding her own against Kylo then absolutely destroying him once she connected with the force. Obviously Kylo was weakened but still, she owned him. Looking forward to the rematch in Episode VIII or IX when they are both fully trained in using the force.

Struggling to think of any negatives, I honestly loved everything about the film.

Roll on May 2017 and Episode VIII

Don't you mean December 2016 and Rogue One?

The humour in this though feels completely natural because the film is so invested creating believable characters.

Well that was a spectacular failure if that was their aim.

Saw it this morning, wasn't bad. Wasn't erection-worthy like most people seem to trying to tame, but it just kept coming back to "Right, so which bit of A New Hope are they going to steal this time?". There's not a lot that is standing out as that memorable.

One thing though:

DID THE BLUE LIGHTSABER COME FROM?

But I guess it's trying to set out the way for the new films. With a sassy new woman and, of course, an over enthusiastic black guy - the staple for all modern films - ready to save the galaxy. Mystery surrounding giant hologram man is intriguing though.

Edited by EEVILMURRAY

Dammit. Was supposed to be watching this today but my daughter getting ill put paid to that. Couldn't really leave her at her grandparents like that. Oh well, maybe on Tuesday. Might even have imax tickets available.

Were people aware that Rey was Luke's daughter? I had assumed she would be the daughter of one of them but had any concrete details about that leaked before release?

Well that's not confirmed is it? I doubt it anyway, it would be too contrived.

Anyway, saw it tonight, thought it was fantastic. Very Star Warsey.

+1 on Matt Parkman turning up and being irritating though. I was sure he was going to fuck everything up in true Fatty Parkman style.

Just watched Graham Norton. I'm in love with Daisy Ridley. John Boyega is too cool. Carrie Fisher is an absolute nut job, but I love her. I love how she brings her dog Gary everywhere.

I'd be so frustrated if I was Daisy having to sit through all these interviews with John with them asking him how awesome it is to use a lightsaber. Rey is the real special one!

Distribution executives are in complete awe and just can’t believe what they’re witnessing hour by hour. After shattering the box office industry’s preview-night record with $57 million on Thursday, Disney’s Star Wars: The Force Awakens is set to knock over opening-day and weekend records left and right. You can scratch out that $110M opening day we heard about earlier. Force Awakens Friday — which includes that $57M it made in Thursday previews — is between $130M-$145M per industry estimates (not Disney). This puts Force Awakens in an opening-weekend range of $250M-$275M; a gross that sends Universal’s Jurassic World current opening-weekend record of $208.8M back to the Stone Age.

Good stuff. Well deserved, if true.

Wow Wow Wow. I'm going to sum up my thoughts below...I think it was a great blend of the old and new, some more serious material for the old fans as well as enough to keep youngsters satisfied.

When Star Wars The Phantom Menace premiered there were 3 types of film goers leaving the theatre;

1. The bemused, upset and outright angry Star Wars fan

2. The kid who would pester his parents for Ja Ja Binks toys

3. The confused casual.

With Star Wars The Force Awakens there is nothing of the sort, everyone streamed out the cinema grinning from cheek to cheek, Star Wars is back and auteur supremo JJ Abrams has delivered a thrilling film that leaves fans wanting more and sets the scene for a potentially thrilling trilogy of new movies.

Let’s make no mistake if this wasn’t great Star Wars may struggle to recover as a serious proposition, we never want to be in that position where there are more bad Star Wars movies than there are good (I’m looking at you Terminator franchise) and this ensures for now we haven’t reached that point. Sure there are a few moments that fell flat for example why does Captain Phasma give up so tamely and just lower the shields of the Starkiller base?

The world felt like lived in unlike the green screen centric nature of the prequels, don’t get me wrong I know there was CG in the movie but it was coupled with nice use of physical props and costumes and was never too overwhelming. Simply the less is more approach is taken with the storytelling, Episodes 1-3 seemingly revelled in explaining every single minut detail leaving nothing to the imagination and giving explanations fans neither wanted or needed.

Kylo Ren - angst ridden. Nuance in Adam Driver’s performance that Hayden Christensen can only dream of. Kylo Ren is the rawest Sith we have ever seen, feeling very alone in the world, unable to control his temper and seemingly has erratic powers as a result. It is also different to see someone tempted by the light side we previously Anakin go full dark side in a matter of seconds with no real angst, he did the right thing only to succumb when it actually mattered. We saw Darth Vader full blown evil and then seemingly mournful for all he had lost. We saw a brief glimpse of the virtuose Luke getting angry only to realize and calm down.

There is some debate as to whether Han’s death was earnt. Han was arguably afforded the most screen time of the original cast and whilst it was a shame not to see him resume his friendship with Luke on screen, the way he took Rey and Finn under his wing did have an air of how he had done so with Luke 30 years prior on. There was a lot going on at the time of his death with the base being attacked from the air and bombs being planted inside but Han felt the need to do something for him for once. Leia had asked him to try if he saw him and he just knew he had to

There are plenty of questions left to be answered. What other relics of the past are there still lingering? Darth Vader’s recovered helmet was presumably destroyed along with Starkiller base, Luke/Anakin’s original lightsaber not seen since the end of The Empire Strikes Back is now back with Luke.

Who is Rey? Who abandoned her? How was she just able to use the Force without any training? Is she really the chosen one? Not Anakin? After Ben Solo deflected did Leia abandon her second child to avoid the same fate occuring to her? Is she a secret child of Luke Skywalker? Who is Snoke, could he possibly Darth Plagius? Is that even possible? (Also not really sure why people are questioning if he is really that big...when we’ve previously seen large holograms of the emperor communicating to Darth Vader in the previous movies) Who are the Knights of the Ren? What happened post Return of Jedi that allowed The First Order to flourish as well as The Republic and The Resistance to both be on going “”parties”. Is Finn’s Dad Lando and was the home he spoke of being overrun by The Empire Cloud City? What made the gallant Luke Skywalker abandon all and leave the galaxy to rot? Was Mark Hamill pissed that he was just a cameo?

Many of these questions (some more serious than others) will remain unanswered until 2017’s Episode VIII in the meantime we have next year's heist centric Rogue One, Star Wars Rebels and the recently released videogame Star Wars: Battlefront to keep you occupied.

Luke/Anakin’s original lightsaber not seen since the end of The Empire Strikes Back is now back with Luke.

In which there best be a fucking explanation for, other than "We found it on Bespin.*" otherwise I'm going to be royally pissed off.

*Whatever can be considered the surface of.

Saw this yesterday and absolutely loved it! it was a little by the numbers in a way, but really captured the original trilogy' feel and aesthetic, but i felt it also captured a some of the aesthetic of the prequel's and their more polished technology look, it made it more apparent that where a world was prosperous it had less raggedy technology, which was perfectly complemented by the desolate Jackku

When Han was going after his son, i thought it wasn't going to end well, i thought he'd maybe get wounded badly or loose a limb........i kind of knew what was coming, you could see it, but i didn't want it to happen - heartbreaking to watch

I did feel they switched planets a little quick (and irritatingly didn't really let you know which one it was Maz was on, unless i missed that)

And I know i shouldn't be thinking this, but the science was odd - a planet that close t the sun being an ice world? perhaps it was further away and that solar drain was travelling the equivalent distance of Mars to the Sun?

If all that Solar energy is stored in the planets core using some giant battery system, wouldn't the warmth melt the planets ice?

How could a giant laser/solar blast track each of the planets in the Hosnian system?

I'm putting too much thought into our physics for a world with the force

Just seen... Fudging loved it! Seriously, it's my favourite Star Wars film now!

Can't wait to see it again.