NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Debug Mode

Dragon Quest VII - Remake for 3DS

SE and logic do not mix well. Add a dash of hope, and it goes further down hill. With regards to SE and Nintendo EU/US; expect nothing until the game is in your console and playing.

Well I heard that he confirmed it for 3DS there anyway.

Well Famitsu included it in their report for what it's worth: http://www.famitsu.com/news/201507/05082479.html

最後に、それぞれ感想を述べる中、堀井氏は「ひとつ発表をしたいと思います。『DQVII』、『DQVIII』のニンテンドー3DS版をフランスで出したいと思います!」と、サプライズ発表! これには観客からも大きな喜びの声が挙がる! 一方、青海氏は「いやいや、正式発表はまだですから!」と慌てていたが? 正式発表が待ち遠しい!

and no one has debunked it yet as far as I'm aware...so hope+10?

Hori says he has a surprise announcement... that DQVII and VIII are coming to France/In French(?) but the other guys says it has been announced yet?

Seems like either he wasn't meant to announce it yet or they have haven't been announced because there not getting a localisation and he wan't meant to say that.

But since Hori is the Daddy of DQ, you would think he would know. It's not like in the past were they've said they are thinking about it.

After Heroes was announced I'm sure they said they had more stuff planned so hopefully it's this.

We should at least get VIII since it's already localised, all they need to do is copy and paste and translate the new content.

At the end of the DQ stage, Yuji Horii said 'I want to announce one thing. I want to release Dragon Quest VII and VIII for 3DS in France!', to which DQ producer Ryota Aomi replied: 'Wait! There is no official announcement yet!'

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/07/the_square_enix_teases_for_dragon_quest_3ds_localisations_ramp_up

Does sound promising. Unless Square-Enix somehow puts a stop to it, I think it's pretty safe to expect them both to be released over here now.

Wasn't it The Last Story, which was also leaked in terms of localization before official news? I remember it was a spokeperson instead of producer/director but still.

I'm thankful it was clarified, that they are indeed 3DS-versions that are being translated. I'm not exactly massive supporter od iOS devices. Anyway, I'm hopeful that the official announcement is coming soon. Perhaps in the next Nintendo Direct even?

Looks to be a Summer release for the West.

As eager watchers of the November Nintendo Direct last year will recall, Nintendo confirmed that both Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of the Forgotten Past and Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King are coming to the West in 2016. At that time it was confirmed that VII would come first with VIII to follow later in the year, and now we have a window for the first of the two arrivals.

Fragments of the Forgotten Past has been given a Summer release window by Nintendo of America at a press event in San Francisco. There'll also be StreetPass functionality with hits converting into items used for special battles; we'll be learning more about that soon. As previously confirmed the remake no longer has random encounters, either, taking away one aspect of old-school design that perhaps hasn't aged so well.

Do these games need to be played in order to understand them? Or is it like Final Fantasy? Is it a story driven series or a collection of side quests?

Do these games need to be played in order to understand them? Or is it like Final Fantasy? Is it a story driven series or a collection of side quests?

Each is its own story, so you can jump in at any point in the series. The games are story driven and play like old school RPGs. Nice turn based battles, instead of the more action focused route JRPGs have taken in recent times.

Each is its own story, so you can jump in at any point in the series. The games are story driven and play like old school RPGs. Nice turn based battles, instead of the more action focused route JRPGs have taken in recent times.

Is there a renowned entry akin to FFVII for the Final Fantasy series ie a DQ game that often comes on top of everyone's favourite list?

Is there a renowned entry akin to FFVII for the Final Fantasy series ie a DQ game that often comes on top of everyone's favourite list?

Usually VIII seems to top the lists. I think V is thought very highly of as well. Calling @Ike as he's our resident DQ expert.

GameXplain have said that the game has all new writing for the localisation, no random encounters ( enemies appear on screen ), story summary feature and Streetpass features that let you gain tablets.

I guess most of this stuff was in the Japanese version, @Ike?

Usually VIII seems to top the lists. I think V is thought very highly of as well. Calling @Ike as he's our resident DQ expert.

Generally, it's usually III, V or VIII at the top of peoples list.

For what it's worth V, and VIII are probably tied for me, though I'd probably choose VIII if I had too . Really you can't go wrong with any of them, imo.

If your interested in playing them, III works better if you've played I & II beforehand as they are all part of the Erdrick trilogy.

V is part of a trilogy but you can play it on it's own.

VIII is a stand alone, I'd recommend either the PS2 or 3DS version over the mobile version, unless you can put up with the aspect ratio and touch screen controls. The 3DS version has more content, but probably won't be out until the end of the year if VII is out in Summer.

GameXplain have said that the game has all new writing for the localisation, no random encounters ( enemies appear on screen ), story summary feature and Streetpass features that let you gain tablets.

I guess most of this stuff was in the Japanese version, @Ike?

Yeah they are.

They cut some content from the beginning which is a shame because I liked that part.

The localisation is needed to be redone because the PS1 version wasn't great and they need to update it to match spell/skill names with the current translations. This is also why SE seemed to be wary to doing the localisation of VII because the game is massive.

Streetpass unlocks some new monsters to fight in the Monster Park (which I think is a new feature, but I'm not sure). Never really got to use the feature in the Japanese version.

As with Final Fantasy, VIII is the best. :)

16th September for the US, no date announced for Europe.

Apparently got localised due to demand from French fans.

Edited by Ike

Can't believe how long have been waiting for this. Finally the end is near.

You must have JavaScript enabled on your device to view Miiverse posts that have been embedded in a website. View post in Miiverse

A few people have already asked why we are getting lumbered with the midi soundtrack when the Japanese release got an orchestral one. Hopefully this will get answered.

N-Europe Review

content-2-34914-dragonquestviisidebox.jpg

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

: peace:

I've heard the game is quite large. What was your final time for it @S\.C\.G? I'm wondering whether to start it straight away or to clear some other stuff before starting it.

I've heard the game is quite large. What was your final time for it @S\.C\.G? I'm wondering whether to start it straight away or to clear some other stuff before starting it.

My final time? :blush:

Let's just say that my track record with finishing RPG's isn't that great owing to the completionist in me as I like to spend time wandering, exploring and of course grinding which I'm sure you can appreciate. :)

So it's best for me to just say that I'm still playing :heh: but I can definitely say that I played enough to have gotten a decent feel for the structure of the game, indeed in this instance I only could get so far without mentioning certain plot details which I haven't given away in the review so I could keep to the embargo (which has now lifted) and I certainly won't even dare hint at here knowing how long many people have waited for the game. :smile:

Not really many other (if any) games were really played either during the review period, save for some sessions of Monster Hunter Generations, (of course) Mario Kart 8 (once weekly) and some Metroid II. (naturally)

Then there was the week where I had a rare chance to play some GC multiplayer with my brother who was visiting, so I wasn't going to pass that up.

In any case, even if I had devoted more time to it inbetween work I am certain that I still wouldn't have reached the end because the original game, the NTSC Playstation release (which I've owned for a few years) seems to have an average completion time of a hundred hours and although the start has been streamlined in the remake (it still feels like a long time between starting and your first battle) there has been even more content added on top of what was already there so I feel like there was no chance of me seeing the end credits even with the generous review period. :blush:

It was perhaps an odd situation that even I got hyped by some of the footage in the direct because at the time I hadn't seen some of the stuff they were showing... :indeed:

At the same time though, I have really enjoyed playing and reviewing the game equally, I even went back to the manual for the original game and was simply blown away by just how much the game has been overhauled, the music as well is glorious, I spent a considerable amount of time listening to the OST from the original release, Japanese 3DS release and of course all that I have heard while I've been playing and I must say that they've really done a stellar job. :bowdown:

I was really overwhelmed by it all but of course now that the embargo is over I will continue to play to the very end, I've always said to myself that this is a title I've wanted to play to completion in addition to finding as many secrets as I can, so that's what I plan to do. It will likely be the main game you'll all see me playing on my 3DS from now on, the prospect of playing a significant portion of the adventure alongside the N-Europe community has me even more excited about the game now as well, so I'd love to hear all of your impressions. :hug:

So in partial answer to your question Hero... more than 25 hours but less than 50, plus I'm probably not far enough in the game as some would estimate being that I like to level up a lot and explore (as I know you do as well I believe?) :wink: but I definitely got past a point in the game where things start to open up though there's still plenty of reasons for me to keep on playing. : peace:

Depending on what other games you may have on the go, I would finish them up because once you start playing Dragon Quest VII... you most likely aren't going to want to play much else for potentially 50 - 100 hours plus I would say even with varying mileage. :hehe:

Depending on what other games you may have on the go, I would finish them up because once you start playing Dragon Quest VII... you most likely aren't going to want to play much else for potentially 50 - 100 hours plus I would say even with varying mileage. :hehe:

It's a really good thing I've just seen the credits in Xenoblade Chronicles X then. Good news for me.

It was clear from that review that you think this is one really special game and it makes me very excited to delve into my second Dragon Quest game.

The only game I've played in the franchise is Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors on Wii :grin: I know it wasn't particularly 'traditional' but I enjoyed it at the time! I'd be a little curious to go back.. :smile:

Sign in to follow this