NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Debug Mode

Dragon Quest VII - Remake for 3DS

I <3 the eShop:

IMG_20130206_202018.jpg

(My wallet doesn't)

The download is 11296 blocks, not idea what that is in GB. Took about 40 - 45 minutes to download but there'll be extra latency due to downloading From Japan.

And just got my copy! They scanned it as soon as I walked in the door, which was weird as fuck, considering the person I reserved it with all those weeks ago wasn't even in there. They must have thought "GAIJIN NAME ON RESERVATION, FLOG IT TO FIRST GAIJIN THROUGH THE DOOR".

The download is 11296 blocks, not idea what that is in GB. Took about 40 - 45 minutes to download but there'll be extra latency due to downloading From Japan.

That's about 1.4GB - just short of Style Boutique! Looking forward to initial impressions guys :)

That's about 1.4GB - just short of Style Boutique! Looking forward to initial impressions guys :)

Truth be told, I could pass out any minute, I have plans tonight, I have plans all day tomorrow and Saturday and seeing some friends off as they return home (Followed most likely by drinking my sorrows away) on Sunday.

This game chose one hell of an awkward week to be released for me, but I feel like it was something I had to do here. Get a Dragon Quest game successfully on launch day :D

But yeah, I'll make sure to not do a disappearing act like I did with Animal Crossing heh

Truth be told, I could pass out any minute, I have plans tonight, I have plans all day tomorrow and Saturday and seeing some friends off as they return home (Followed most likely by drinking my sorrows away) on Sunday.

This game chose one hell of an awkward week to be released for me, but I feel like it was something I had to do here. Get a Dragon Quest game successfully on launch day :D

But yeah, I'll make sure to not do a disappearing act like I did with Animal Crossing heh

Ah, frustrating. Pretty sure playing this would banish my sorrows quicker than drink!

I <3 the eShop:

IMG_20130206_202018.jpg

(My wallet doesn't)

I hate you!

And just got my copy! They scanned it as soon as I walked in the door, which was weird as fuck, considering the person I reserved it with all those weeks ago wasn't even in there. They must have thought "GAIJIN NAME ON RESERVATION, FLOG IT TO FIRST GAIJIN THROUGH THE DOOR".

You as well!

:D

Dragon Quest VII has no battles.

Seriously, I was like an hour and 40 minutes into this before I passed out, what the fuuuuck.

Well, the graphics look great on the 3DS. Full 360 camera rotation. Music sounds great, the overture is definitely orchestrated, I can't tell with everything else. :P

The camera is on the world map is a little iffy, would have preferred a top down camera I think. Maybe it's just that area. There's a little bit of popup on the world map as well, the world map is pretty big though. The bottom screen map is very useful as it shows were buildings, caves, towns etc are.

Played just over an hour last night, would have played more but I forgot to charge my 3DS in preparation. :laughing::cry: And yeah, no battles yet. I think in the original it took around 3 hours before the first battle, they've supposedly cut the time down before the first battle in the 3DS version. :P

There's a different camera angle you can choose for the overworld Ike.

Go to the menu, then さくせん, then せってい and it should be the final option which allows you to choose between the two different camera angles. I still prefer the original camera, despite being a little iffy (especially going down slopes, camera clipping into the ground, nostalgia!). It looks gorgeous, but I am noticing a few niggles in performance. Framerate is not steady and occasionally skips in large areas or with a good amount of characters around, you'll very often see objects randomly spawn in the distance as the game loads it while you move but it feels kind of unnatural. Though to be honest, I've been kind of spoiled by the render distance on other games on other systems.

Thanks, thought there might be an option to change the camera. Does that only change the overworld camera? It's fine everywhere else.

Thanks, thought there might be an option to change the camera. Does that only change the overworld camera? It's fine everywhere else.

Yup, only the over world camera will change. Yeah, in towns it's perfect but it gets iffy else where right?

Also, thank god I reserved this at 7 Eleven, it's looking like the game has sold out in some places.

Just the overworld, yeah. If you leave a certain area then the camera is at a weird angle and you can't see your character because a hill is in the way. Hope they can patch it or fix it up before the English release.

Edit: Play-Asia sold out their allocation so I figured it was selling well. Didn't you say you got a preorder bonus with 7 Eleven?

Edited by Ike

Didn't you say you got a preorder bonus with 7 Eleven?

I was supposed to get some fucking sword, but it seems that it's actually going to be a downloadable from the store which leads me to believe it was all a ruse or there's some form of lottery (which wouldn't surprise me, 7 eleven has fucking lotteries all the time I swear).

I was only aware of 3 places doing preorder DLC and the only place giving out a sword (Falcon Sword) was the Square Enix store. Unless the 7 Eleven promotion was announced at a later date.

I was only aware of 3 places doing preorder DLC and the only place giving out a sword (Falcon Sword) was the Square Enix store. Unless the 7 Eleven promotion was announced at a later date.

It's looking like it's going to be a downloadable thing through 7 Eleven's open wifi spot open for every one.. ah well, just glad I got a physical copy of the game.

The overworld camera sounds good, to my mind. Can you go into 1st-person mode at all? I love checking out the interiors of buildings.

The overworld camera sounds good, to my mind. Can you go into 1st-person mode at all? I love checking out the interiors of buildings.

No first person mode, but some times when you exit a town into the over world, it looks like it's first person. Though that's just the camera colliding with the scenery..

Towns and such have a camera angle very similar to IX if memory serves me correctly.

EDIT: Got far enough yesterday to finally see some battles and got far enough to also defeat a couple of bosses. Loving it so far and the music, yet again, is fantastic. Thank god the transition is seemless between over world and battles, I had a fear that it might not be.

Saw on the back of the box that this title does indeed have streetpass stuff, so I'll definitely be making a move on with that. Get as much streetpasses as I can get before I leave!

Edited by Debug Mode

Turns out I was only 10 minutes away from my first battle as well. They didn't know what hit them since 1 of them ran away. :laughing:

No bosses yet, only just cleared the cave but I can tell where I need to go next.

I've had the battle theme stuck in my head all morning.

Turns out I was only 10 minutes away from my first battle as well. They didn't know what hit them since 1 of them ran away. :laughing:

Very unusual for a non-metal enemy to run away during battle!

So, when you're in your starting class, do you have the option to put skill points into different weapons, or do you have to wait until you revocate? Are Spears and Swords available early on?

OK, the second camera option is a lot better. Not perfect, but a lot better.

Very unusual for a non-metal enemy to run away during battle!

So, when you're in your starting class, do you have the option to put skill points into different weapons, or do you have to wait until you revocate? Are Spears and Swords available early on?

Yeah, happens more often than you would expect. I'm still getting enemies running away even now.

I don't think there are skills points in this game, it uses a similar system to VI (gained via leveling the class).

Not been able to get spears yet, but have gotten swords, knives, whips and clubs weapons so far.

Not played this for a bit, due to the reasons stated earlier on in the thread D:

Yeah, those bloody enemies running away, I thought the first time around one of the slimes of who ran away might have been a metal one I didn't see properly!

The remake looks so slick, I keep forgetting DQ VII is really the last of the "2D" Dragon Quests, eg. no skill trees. VIII was my first, so I've never known exactly how much was new with that. Funnily enough, VI is the 2D Dragon Quest I have played the most (not counting IX), maxing-out all the vocations!

Details from the latest Iwata Asks:

80pnbjB.jpg

- DQVII was the first DQ game on CD rather than cartridge

- Game’s creators needed to brainstorm what could be used to fill up the sudden vast increase in space

- Writers would send in stacks of hundreds of pages of script and ideas a day for series creator, Yuuji Horii, to read and edit

- Horii wanted to go with something different

- Horii always enjoyed the MYST games

- At the time, he had been wondering if players had gotten tired of leveling through battles, and so he decided to make Dragon Quest VII more about puzzle-solving

- This is why it’s possible to go five hours without battling

- Dragon Quest VII was about exploration and looking into every nook and cranny just like MYST

- This was the first time there would be so much opportunity for exploration in what had originally been a very straightforward series

- There were a lot of difficult-to-find items

- This was one of the main points that the development team wanted to change about the remake

- Concept was: “A VII that is easy to understand, unambiguous, and comforting”

- Differences between the audiences of 2000 and the present, and the game will take this into account

- Concept of the original VII was “an RPG that chews you out and makes getting lost fun,” and it was in part because of this that there was such an overwhelming amount of content (close to 1000 different areas)

- The team felt that if they were going to make such an extensive game, then they may as well go all the way and get people as lost as possible in the vast world

- Because of this focus on making “getting lost” and exploration fun, extra effort was put into making every town feel unique

- With the current audience, Majima feels that most players would leave the moment they think something looks boring or tiring

- Because of this, one of the first points he thought of when faced with the remake was that a different approach would be needed

- The main challenge would be to keep the “having fun while getting lost” aspect alive while somehow guiding players a little to reduce the stress and energy needed to move through the game

- Sugimura believed that the game needed to be modified a little

- Sugimura felt that VII was extraordinarily suited for a portable system like the 3DS because the overall plot is written like a series of short stories

- Players are able to experience the title in short bursts

- New summary system explains what happened up to that point in time

- This feature took a year to write and incorporate

- Immigrant Town takes advantage of the 3DS

- This town changes based on whom you recruit to live there

- Originally, you could trade immigrants between two different memory cards, a unique feature at the time that took advantage of the fact that the game was separate from the memory card

- Now: trade inhabitants through StreetPass

- Monster Park also takes advantage of StreetPass

- Can tame monsters in different environments

- StreetPass lets you send a party of 3 monsters out to explore, and sometimes they may even return with new stone shards, which you can then trade with others

- Art and story changes also made

- Ex: while town layouts weren’t changed much, the art and the body ratio of the characters were modified

- Flow of the game was changed as well

- While the number of things and places were the same on the first island, for example, the organization and how the story is arranged was completely changed

- Job system has been reveamped

- Originally, you could carry skills learned from a previous job which, while it allowed for great customization, also ultimately led to all the characters being the same

- The uniqueness of the job was lost

- This was changed so that if you change jobs, you could only “do that one job.”

- While this is a risky change, Fujimoto states that this change had actually come about through the many comments of those who had played the original game

- Entire original release was treated as an enormous test, where the feedback good and bad were taken into account

- Iwata summarizes that the remake was created by taking into account the numerous comments and the differences in time and audience between the current and past release while still keeping the core concepts alive

Bolded a few bits that caught my eye.

Edited by Lens of Truth

- StreetPass lets you send a party of 3 monsters out to explore, and sometimes they may even return with new stone shards, which you can then trade with others

Naive or not, I'm going to carry my monster team everywhere with me in the hope of StreetPassing!

- Originally, you could carry skills learned from a previous job which, while it allowed for great customization, also ultimately led to all the characters being the same

- The uniqueness of the job was lost

- This was changed so that if you change jobs, you could only “do that one job.”

- While this is a risky change, Fujimoto states that this change had actually come about through the many comments of those who had played the original game

It sounds like it was very much like VI, where you could max-out everyone as everything. I know they've had a lot of feedback about this, even with IX, where you could keep abilities but not spells.

Sign in to follow this