NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Debug Mode

Dragon Quest VII - Remake for 3DS

DQ seems to sell well in Europe, better than in NA at any rate. I could see Nintendo publishing this if SE pass on it.

especially over in France and Germany, those countries love the series big time. Nintendo will most likely pick this game up again as well, since Nomura-Enix utside of japan have completely forgotten the series exists

Well at least it already has an English script, so that'll boost the chances. I'm confident Nintendo will bring it over but yeah, probably be a long wait. If it was on Vita, then I would be worried about getting an English release.

Great new about the music, it'll sound amazing! :) I've got the DQX Symphony Orchestra CD preordered already.

Here's the official site, just in case anyone still doesn't believe :P

No reason to believe that it won't come eventually. The mainline series is seemingly safe (DQ10 admittedly is a bit of is question mark - though I reckon that they're waiting for the Wii U version to be finished) and in a worst case scenario, this game already has a full English localisation that they can just re-use.

It's the spinoffs that have suspect chances of being brought over (Rocket Slime 3 :()

Well at least it already has an English script, so that'll boost the chances.

The english translation for DWVII is rushed and very messy sadly, and almost looks nothing like today's typical Dragon Quest game when it comes to dialog, they would have to go right through it again + all the extra dialog this game will have with the remake.

The english translation for DWVII is rushed and very messy sadly, and almost looks nothing like today's typical Dragon Quest game when it comes to dialog, they would have to go right through it again + all the extra dialog this game will have with the remake.

Oh, of course. Need to add more puns. ;) And update the enemies/spell names/etc to keep it inline with recent translations, but meant they already sorta have a reference so hopefully be quickerm, unless they decide to start from scratch.

Jesus that new pic gives me much more info on what type of game it's going to be, looks very much like a super polished DQV (PS2)

The town map screens are exactly like VIII's, and the screenshot with the green-hatted character with trees and the ocean in the background could almost have come from VIII too.

I see DQVIII being regarded as the best of the lot. Has this been re-released or remade yet?

I see DQVIII being regarded as the best of the lot. Has this been re-released or remade yet?

Nope, and it's a crying shame! Not that I ever sold my copy or my PS2, of course! There are actually quite a few "tidy-ups" it would benefit from:

1) The ability to reset your Skill Points

I'm perfectly happy with the amount DQ VIII gives you, but it could be frustrating if you got to the post-game bosses and hadn't developed your Spear/Axe skills.

2) Instant Alchemy

...As seen in IX. You had to wait a long time (or more accurately - steps) for your goods in VIII, and it wasn't fun. :heh:

3) Visible Skill Trees

...So you know if you invest in Spears you'll eventually be able to get Lightning Thrust etc. VIII did have women in churches that would tell you how many more points you needed for the next skill (which should be kept, sure, otherwise it wouldn't feel the same), but IX's system was better.

4) Visible Armour

Basically, the ability to see what you're wearing, like in IX. At least for the iconic "Metal King" equipment.

5) Screenshot/video capture

OK, I'm pushing it now, but it'd be nice!

Gabo riding a wolf wtf!?

And Hero Of Time didn't put up the most important aspect of this game.

dragon_quest_vii_008.jpg

No random encounters anymore.

Something it took me a while to notice is that this is the first remake to use IX's system of having all your party visibly following you.

The streetpass functionality sounds good - "special tablets" are exchanged giving access to new hidden areas and treasures :)

Something it took me a while to notice is that this is the first remake to use IX's system of having all your party visibly following you.

I thought V and VI did this too? Perhaps you're referring to something different. I bought IX and started playing but couldn't get into it at all! Just didn't seem to have the charm of the remakes and I hated the polygon graphics. I might give it another go before this comes out though because I know it gets a fair deal of praise :blush:

I thought V and VI did this too? Perhaps you're referring to something different.

Oh yeah, the wagon. Sorry, my brain's not fully-functioning at the moment!

I bought IX and started playing but couldn't get into it at all! Just didn't seem to have the charm of the remakes and I hated the polygon graphics. I might give it another go before this comes out though because I know it gets a fair deal of praise :blush:

That's a shame - I always feel bad if I steer someone onto something they don't like. There's no doubt about it, I was gutted to hear IX was going to be on the DS, as I thought it would be a massive step-down from VIII... and it was. IX doesn't have the graphics, the music, the immersion, the charm... the list could go on. On the other hand, it does have supremely good gameplay if you get into it and it was an absolutely epic experience.

I just hope you enjoy it at some point.

Every Dragon Quest except for inferior DQVIII had party visible in it

I thought V and VI did this too?

DQVII was the first game to have party chat, every DQ game that had characters part of your team had it, so pretty much every game has it, only one missing is II.

I've only played through V and VI on the DS, both of which I loved. And btw Grazza, you're right in assuming it was largely your advocacy that convinced me to give the series a go :) I hope we get an HD port of VIII for the WiiU.

I'll have to have a bash at IX again before this comes out!

You guys like in game store specific preorder bonuses right?

Slime Shield

big1_002.jpg

Slime Stick

big2_002.jpg

Falcon Sword

big3_000.jpg

3 different stores get a different preorder bonus. HMV gets the shield, "Tsutaya" (*shrugs*) gets the stick. You get the Falcon Sword from preordering from the Square Enix eShop.

Sign in to follow this