NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Need For Speed Most Wanted U

Great news! Will probably buy this with the console when I get it.

I'm not sure how it'll be glancing at the gamepad for your map though, considering the speed and everything you're travelling... not sure if the traditional mini map in the corner might not be better?

Edited by Retro_Link

Really can't wait for this game, really hope we don't have to wait too long and it has all the same features. Including extended miiverse support!

Why is it expected? Assassins Creed, Batman, Darksiders 2, Balck Ops 2 don't have features missing (Elite doesn't count)

Mainly this:

It's expected because it's EA (not Ubisoft, WB, THQ or Activision), and all of their other games releasing on the WiiU are gimped. Fifa13 is the 2012 engine with lacking features, Madden has the same issues (only magnified and worse), and we all know Mass Effects problems.

Also, from what I gather, this game has an extremely large online component. From what I've seen, the heart of the game is online. Given that we know next to nothing about the online capabilities or even the interface, it doesn't fill me with confidence for the WiiU version. Therefore, it wouldn't surprise me if there are massive chunks missing from the online component for the WiiU version which exist in the other ones.

If it has everything the other versions have and maybe more, then it'll be a day one for me.

Gametrailers Review 8.7 (PS3/360)

Am I old fashioned in just wanting a straight up racing game in the vein of Burnout 2?... are those days well and truely gone and behind us now?

Despite being wowed by this game in the beginning, the more I see of it and learn about it's structure the less sure I am that I want it.

An open world is nice, but by the looks of things it really hasn't led to a great deal of variety in the tracks.

I miss just being able to select from a variety of courses to race 3 laps around. Snowy mountain tracks, Coastal beach tracks, Grassy hills and freeways, City centres etc... and tracks that spanded several. Plus it just seemed a lot simpler and fun in the past to easily select a day/night track, and different weather conditons etc...

Burnout 2 had the occasional Point A to Point B, but those seem to be the norm more and more now, unless they're just short laps around the streets/an airfield or something.

And there may be bits and pieces of this in these games now, but it used to be so fun charging up your boost meter by driving on the wrong side of the road and narrowly avoiding other cars, and pushing your opponents around.

Also the bullet time crashes just aren't all that great to watch anymore, as manufacturers are seemingly more concerend about maintaining the image of their cars. In which case I'd much rather Criterion just ditch them altogether (this isn't Gran Turismo) and return to cars their own cars that we can actually have fun with!

Stop taking the fun out of games and making them more serious/'realistic'!

We don't really have any Arcade racers anymore do we?

Basically I'd buy Burnout 2 HD in an instant! :p

Edited by Retro_Link

Basically I'd buy Burnout 2 HD in an instant! :p

Yes yes and YES!

Personally loved Burnout 1/2/3. Gutted Burnout 3 didn't come to the GC. So gutted I bought a PS2 for it.

Wasn't as keen on Burnout paradise, enjoyed Hot Pursuit but this new NFS is the perfect combination of old-school Burnout and then Paradise with the added bonus of NFS liscences. (If you are bothered about that kind of thing.)

There are a LOT of A-B races in this and when the police get involved in the races it's as good as Burnout 2/3 was. The competitive social elements are really well integrated and the bigger city allows you to just go exploring when you want - whether that is to just improve your control of a car, find more vehicles, boards or gates or to just chill out.

I've got the Burnout 2/3 soundtracks running as my in-game playlist and it's as good as there is to those days again.

If you pick this up for the WiiU there is plenty to enjoy.

Personally loved Burnout 1/2/3. Gutted Burnout 3 didn't come to the GC. So gutted I bought a PS2 for it.

Wasn't as keen on Burnout paradise, enjoyed Hot Pursuit but this new NFS is the perfect combination of old-school Burnout and then Paradise with the added bonus of NFS liscences. (If you are bothered about that kind of thing.)

There are a LOT of A-B races in this and when the police get involved in the races it's as good as Burnout 2/3 was. The competitive social elements are really well integrated and the bigger city allows you to just go exploring when you want - whether that is to just improve your control of a car, find more vehicles, boards or gates or to just chill out.

I've got the Burnout 2/3 soundtracks running as my in-game playlist and it's as good as there is to those days again.

If you pick this up for the WiiU there is plenty to enjoy.

Are there many lap races?

If you want to play local multiplay can you just select a race from a list of 'tracks'? or do you both have to drive to them in the open world or something? and can you both race against AI opponents in a 4/8 cars race, or is it just 1 on 1?

If you want to play local multiplay can you just select a race from a list of 'tracks'? or do you both have to drive to them in the open world or something? and can you both race against AI opponents in a 4/8 cars race, or is it just 1 on 1?

If you want to play local multiplayer then you'll need to buy a different racing game.

If you want to play local multiplayer then you'll need to buy a different racing game.
What?! Like SSX there's no local multiplayer option? What is the matter with EA and their franchises!

I'll pass then!

I'd compare the lack of local multiplayer to every other open-world racing game more than SSX.

I'd compare the lack of local multiplayer to every other open-world racing game more than SSX.
I thought the whole point of this Need For Speed that everyone has been harping on about is the fact that Criterion were behind it and it has a lot more in common with Burnout? What does it have in common with Burnout over the last few Need For Speeds (not The Run)? If there are no arcade style races, or local multiplayer I can't see much.

SSX should have had local multiplayer too. It always did have.

Are there many lap races?

As Cube says, for more than one - this is all about the online multiplayer. (Which is sublime).

When you get into a car you get a list of races for that car - from easy to medium. You can then set times for these races and your friends go against them .There's more to it than that but that's the gist of it.

The handling is classic Burnout and therefore feels arcadey. Moreso than any NFS game scince NFS: underground.

The multiplayer keeps this afloat in regards to longevity but SSX was (IMO) short-lived without the local multiplayer elements.

I thought the whole point of this Need For Speed that everyone has been harping on about is the fact that Criterion were behind it and it has a lot more in common with Burnout?

It does - it's a spiritual sequel to Burnout Paradise: the open world nature of the map, how you acquire boost, billboards, smash gates, the online multiplayer, the off road "play areas", takedowns, driving to the events, the easydrive menu and various other stuff.

EA's calling it the 'Enhanced Edition'.

Need for Speed: Most Wanted is arriving on the Wii U on March 21 in the EU and March 19 in the US.

EA is billing the Wii U version of the game as the 'Enhanced Version', including entirely new co-op features. There's a local co-op feature called Co-Driver, which lets one player drive by using a Wiimote or the Wii U Pro Controller while another person uses the Wii U GamePad to provide navigation assistance on an interactive map.

What does that actually mean?

EA provided the following example: "Using just their fingertips, a partner can distract pursuing cops, switch from night to day or activate enhanced performance for any car and even control the amount of traffic on the road.

"This is the ultimate advantage for gamers who like to stir up trouble for the cops, their friends or just for fun."

The touchscreen can also be used in more subtle ways, like switching the mods on your vehicle or change your car entirely. You can also play the game on the GamePad's screen.

And in keeping with its 'Enhanced Version' title, the Wii U version will ship with the Ultimate Speed Pack, which contains the McLaren's F1 LM, Bugatti's Veyron Grand Sport Vitesse, the Pagani Zonda R, the Aventador J and the Venom GT Spyder.

The Ultimate Speed Pack includes...

:D

negativity doesn't get boring whatsoever.

At least we're getting this game (and with Bonuses) unlike, nope wait...

And at least it's a game full stop. Of which the Wii U currently has very few with confirmed release dates.

Edited by Retro_Link

So since the Wii U doesn't have analog shoulder buttons, I'm guessing there is no way around other than digital control. Aside from giving you the unlikely option to strap two Wii Remotes to your feet to act as pedals, it's all or nothing.

I wonder who's actually handling this?

Criterion themselves did the PSV conversion and by all accounts, it was a borderline perfect match for the consoles. The PC version I understand to not be so hot but then I'm not sure who was in charge of that.

Good game but I personally totally lost interest in it after two weeks. I like my racing games to be accessible and I just can't get away with the while open city approach where you have to find the races. Give me Burnout 1/2/3 all over again!

Couldn't agree more @tapedeck! Ideally I'd like to just choose my car, choose my circuit, (day/night/wet/dry) and race! :p

Doesn't seem like racers are really made like that anymore now though.

Good game but I personally totally lost interest in it after two weeks. I like my racing games to be accessible and I just can't get away with the while open city approach where you have to find the races. Give me Burnout 1/2/3 all over again!

I lost interest after a few weeks, but Burnout Paradise is my favourite racing game. Most Wanted just wasn't as fun, and the online was done poorly (selecting events one at a time was better, and the massive amount of co-op challenges was what made Paradise great).

Is this really happening? This is great news, i loved the previous Need for Speed and Burnout before that, now i get to play this on my tablet controller too ^_^

Really hope this doesn't turn out a mess-up. Looking forward to it, and hopefully some time next year, F1 2013.