NEurope
Yvonne

The Wire Season 1 Mafia

oh ffs, someone automerge me...

Edited by Yvonne
Automerged Doublepost

D2.jpg

Detective Lester Freamon is dead! Supergrunch is out of the game.

Supergrunch was town. He could check which character a player was, but only if that player was not targeted by anyone else. He was also a wiretap technician, and needed Probable Cause, Exhaustion and to submit an Affidavit to get authorisation to use a wiretap.

695-266-6817

clue01.jpg

-- alive (17) --

Cube

Diageo

DuD

heroicjanitor

Jimbob

Jon Dedede

Jonnas

Marcamillian

mr-paul

Nintendohnut

ReZourceman

Rummy

Sheikah

Tales

The Peeps

uəʌəsʎɐɾ

Zell

-- arrested/dead (2) --

Gant dead

Supergrunch/Freamon dead

majority is 9 votes.

Day 2 begins.

Edited by Yvonne

I take it Detective Lester Freamon is the guy in the center?

And what does the phone number mean?

Has anyone got a phone? Wonder what would happen if it was called? Was that Grunch's number maybe?

Do the pictures mean anything in particular? ie the way characters face.. what they're doing.. actually who's in the pictures???

I don't know anything of the phone number. In fact.. I don't know anything.

Grunch's first game in a year and he dies immediately...

Why is OPER on the 0 button? I don't think typing those numbers into a predictive text system would spell anything either.

Call: 695-266-6817 :p I have no phone in my description but you never know.

I was hoping 695 was an area code but it seems hat it isn't. At least according to my search.

I think OPER suggests that pressing 0 would call the 'operator' to connect you to someone. I tried to work out if the numbers could spell out a word but the number 1 near the end basically makes it impossible.

Any seasoned Wire veterans want to shed light on the phone thing?

Some idiot stopped me from reaching my target last night, way to go genius!

I really want the mafia's phone number to be:

623-427-286

MAF-IAS-SCUM

But yeah, basically I think that's a dead end. It's probably someone's power, though? Maybe they can communicate with people outside of the thread, or they're looking for a certain phone number, or something?

I've also tried decoding the numbers into letters but to no avail. The choice of a phone with letters by the numbers makes me think of old school texting, like a dying message left by grunch.

I've tried scrambling the letters I got out but I've got nothing. If anyone cases to pursue this potential time sink, the letters I got were: MWJ-AN-MT#P

# being the 1. I also tried subtracting the numbers since the dashes could be minus signs, then turning that into letters (spells DMU).

I suppose the number we have could mean:

MYJ-AMM-OT'S

Or something. "My ____'s", for sure

Possibly. I think it's more likely that someone's power is to post phone numbers, and then someone else's power is to use them in some way. Or perhaps they're both one power. It's probably not worth our time discussing, to be quite honest - at least until we know more about it.

It's making remember a past mafia where there was a code to be cracked! Which one was it? I remember I died early in that one but I could never work out the code even once it had been solved. Anyway, I'm digressing. Looks like we're not getting anything from write-ups, maybe hints which are going straight over my head as I know nothing about The Wire (maybe I will watch it) so who's got info????

I think Cube ran a mafia where someone's power was to make people post in a coded language? Might have been someone else.

Anyone want to reveal targets or any info they received? I would reveal mine but as I didn't reach them I don't see the point.

I think Cube ran a mafia where someone's power was to make people post in a coded language? Might have been someone else.

It wasn't intended as a coded language to be cracked.

Anyway, I couldn't reach my target last night. I think it was on their end, not my end.

For those who haven't seen the show I'll skip trying to define the blurred morality and just sum up the mobile numbers;

The Wire is literally about phone-tapping. Before they can get the green-light to a wire-tap on some dude's phones they need to prove that the wire is needed; they get the evidence they need from cracking coded messages sent on pagers.

Various members of the nefarious party own pagers - with pager numbers - but also would send each other messages coded as a pager number. There's one part in the show where the police, having cloned the pagers so they get a copy of all messages, get a message something like 5555-911-666 -- which essentially tells the recipant that the police are on their way.

Supergrunch's character worked on the team that cracked the code.

Anyone else have any more numbers? We can use them to decipher whether the one in the write-up is a coded message or even just grunch's number.

Daymn y'all. My target gone slammer, so I couldn't get near a brother.

Numbers? I o'know man.

Awesome, thanks jayseven - I knew my lack of Wire knowledge would be a problem at some point, I just didn't think it would be the first day.

Okay do it's probably safe to assume that there is a PM snooper out there somewhere. However, the message is probably a code as well, from what jayseven said. BUT we're not going to be able to just crack it until we get more information. Lets hope someone has the code cracking power.

I'm not entirely sure the number is a code in itself, to be honest. It'd be too difficult to keep all messages within the 10char range whilst still carrying information.

Just for the record, in the show the dealer's codes are to jump the five.

Decoding that, it turns to 410-844-4293(0 and 5 swap). If anyone's up on the wire tap, I'd advise them to note both the numbers. This game probably won't give too much away, but in the show they usually page with a 2-digit code to identify who it is paging, too.

ADDED:Just to note, I think I'm on the money with the above number; 410 is genuine Baltimore area code.

Also, I noted yesterday - no lynch (11): The Peeps, uəʌəsʎɐɾ, Jonnas, Sheikah, Supergrunch, Diageo, Rummy, Zell, Jimbob - there's two double voters in here assuming that count's right.

It wasn't intended as a coded language to be cracked.

Anyway, I couldn't reach my target last night. I think it was on their end, not my end.

Would you be willing to say who it was, see if it was a roleblock or a protect?

Stepping in to say hello. I don't have anything. I have never watched the Wire.

Neither am I, although just saying it isn't really going to prove anything!

Then again, proving it might not help anything. Narrowing down the double voters could help us find a mafioso, but it might just as easily show us two powerful townies. I don't like assuming based on roles when I don't know anything about the subject matter of a game.