NEurope
ReZourceman

Looper

I highly, highly recommend this movie. It goes on from a giant upswing from the start....an upswing that does not stop going, and loops round....the enjoyment ever increasing.

main_quad_aw__23524__looper.jpg

Good characters, non cliche, interesting and difficult subjects at times, great action, some humour and a very cool story.

Thoroughly enjoyable.

93% on Rotten Tomatos.

Been wanting to see this since 5 seconds into the first time I watched the trailer. Hopefully I'll go tomorrow or monday :grin:

Was pretty good. I liked how understated the sci-fi was, even though the temptation must have been there to make it all shiny and Blade Runner-like. And JGL's make up, though weird, was excellent and his mannerisms were spot on.

My only gripe.

Joe was a lowly Looper, had to use a blunderbuss so he didn't miss. He then spent 25 years as a junkie and petty thief until he met his wife. How did he suddenly become such a badass?

I was intrigued by this the first time I watched the trailer, and I'm a huge JGL fan, so I'm really excited it's receiving such praise!

The make-up was so bizarre that i thought they'd re-cast JGL when i saw the last trailer. Looking forward to seeing this!

Brilliant movie. The trailer played it as some kind of all-out action team-up movie, but it's much slower and more thoughtful than that.

For those who have seen it though, I just thought of this morning:

He should've just blown his own hand off.

This film was absolutely sensational. It has the usual questions you can ask, but ultimately I bought the motivations of the film and its characters

Why do they send themseleves back for them to kill? Why don't they just send them to someone else, surely they realise someone may not want to kill themselves? Or why even tell them this is happening? Most don't ever take the bag off so just let them do it without knowing. To reward them? Would these ruthless people really give a fuck? Saying all that I bought it

:)

It was clear there was NOTHING stopping Bruce Willis, hand gone and he'd try again and again. How mutilated would he have to make himself to stop him? Then whats the point in living?

I would say the make up was the only bad thing about the film, so sitracting, didn't understand why they did it. Oh, also...

The other thing which jarred like a bastard for me was the bit were Willis was in the enemy compound "MOTHER FUCKERS!!!!!!!" tonally it felt way too big and hollywood for what was a very slight and understated film

Ultimately though. Was pretty much blown away by it.

Top nonsense. :D

The first 1/3 is good with the initial concept set up but then it gets incredibly weak/silly by it's final act (bar the solid ending) Some parts were just so amusing. (like when the kid fell down the stairs, lulz) I like how it explicitly stated that they weren't going to mess about with time travel so I was okay with it not thinking about or taking in time travel "theories" and just excepting it for what it was going to do but I felt the story glossed over anything that would have actually been exciting to ponder or think about.

I think JGL and Bruce Willis were miscast and felt uncomfortable in their roles, I wasn't feeling it to be honest. I wanted there to be a bigger dynamic between the two but they were separate for most of the film, maybe that is refreshing? The moral question about whether you should kill a kid before it's has a chance to be evil was great but ultimately under explored and replaced with the out of place Bruce Willis fan service sequence where they just get him to take out all the bad guys.

(I thought it was kind of obvious how it was going to end from the beginning and even more so once the kid got involved)

it's still great entertainment at the time but I will have forgotten about it by tomorrow. :)

Wasn't the role written with JGL specifically in mind? That's why the character is even called Joe.

I watched it earlier today and really enjoyed it

I was having a hard time believing JGL turns into Bruce Willis even with the makeup.

I loved half wig Willis though, they should've just rolled with that. :p

Loved this movie. Want to go see it again. Think the ending was superb and even though yes it wasn't cliched at all I did pretty early on guess several things a long the way.

Pretty early on it became obvious that their influence on the kid was turning him into the Rainmaker paradoxically. After I realised this I viewed it pretty much inevitable that JGL was going to kill himself to erase BW.

Also loved how they handled time travel, very much show and don't tell for the large part. For example how they showed BW's acquiring of memories very eloquently handling an issue rarely addressed in time travel movies. Although this was slightly undone at points.

Really good, not as good as The Dark Knight (I loved it enough to see it three times, so I doubt anything will ever match up :D), but definitely worth seeing.

• NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I didn't want him to die :(
  • JGL :heart: His acting is so amazing!
  • Didn't like how the Rainmaker was mentioned like...once, and not in a way that made me notice, then all of a sudden it became a huge deal.
  • Loved the guy who screwed EVERYTHING up.
  • I really liked the way it was shot, especially at the beginning/Bruce Willis and his wife, before it gave way to action and explosions. A bit like Sofia Coppola + action.

Unrelated: I think Skyfall is like the only Bond movie I'm interested in watching. The new Silent Hill looks way worse than the previous one - like a generic gang-of-stereotypes-in-a-horror-movie movie. It's supposed to be SILENT! (Apart from the siren. And screams. And creaks.)

It looks so good, I'm so sad I wasn't able to make it with ye! D: we must see each other now that you're back in dublin though^^

Wasn't blown away by this(saw it last week), didn't get it maybe? What's so good about it, really? I didn't feel it did anything new, it was nice and ok and all, but maybe the tiny amount of hype it's had has ruined it for me; but still...I just don't see why it's being so well received. It started off quite well, but felt it went downhill as it went on. Ending felt abrupt, and I guess I got a bit lost towards the end as to where/how they were going with it.

Wasn't blown away by this(saw it last week), didn't get it maybe? What's so good about it, really? I didn't feel it did anything new, it was nice and ok and all, but maybe the tiny amount of hype it's had has ruined it for me; but still...I just don't see why it's being so well received. It started off quite well, but felt it went downhill as it went on. Ending felt abrupt, and I guess I got a bit lost towards the end as to where/how they were going with it.

True, on hindsight I felt a bit of that too -

it almost became a bad evil-kid themed horror movie after the first "TK freak" scene. So I get what you mean. I guess it had a good mix of everything, almost Wong Kar-Wai-like colourful (drug) scenes, gore, horror, sci-fi/time travel...maybe?

I think maybe you're thinking about it too much, it was just a good enjoyable sci-fi film.

Good acting, organic explanation of continuity, cool premise, excellent characters (and character arcs/development), violent but not excessively or OTT, morally questioning, nice direction, good blend of genres, decent dialogue, good structure/pacing/unravelling of the story, good locations and a slick movie. It wasn't necessarily groundbreaking but it was a rare breed of not-too-far-out-scifi whilst also being executed (all round) extremely well.

I'm going to see this tonight.

It does mean I'll not be watching the footie tonight...first time I've missed a match in ages. This better be worth eet!

I'm with Rummy and Coolness Bear. Although enjoyable, it wasn't great at all. JGL and BW did a great job but when telekinesis just turned up to be a central point of the film, I felt it got out of hand. Also, as with all time traveling movies, there were some paradoxes that I couldn't really look beyond.

It's just very forgetable but I was nonetheless rather entertained. Loved the humour in it - the scene with ... her... on the bed was quite funny. (I have no idea what she was called, Emily Blunt's role.)

I forgot to post my thoughts on this. I really enjoyed it, including the interpretation of the future, the colourscheme used in the film (it had a nice look to it) and the casting was just right. JGL must have spent quite a lot of time watching Bruce Willis to see how he spoke and his mannerisms because it was spot on for the majority of the time.

The film didn't dip at any point for me, but it seemed to be at a constant pace. I didn't feel it felt rushed at any point or underdeveloped or over-elaborated. "Just right" is how I'd describe it. There was a lot of balance to it.

The scene with the kid raging out with his Tele-Kenesis was awesome, I thought. It fitted in with the context of the film whilst also bringing in a minor fantasy context to it. It didn't seem out of place in my mind, and I loved how it was done.

Overall, it is probably one I'm going to get on DVD when it comes out. It also means that I haven't seen JGL in a bad film yet...maybe it's in his contract to only make good films. :p