NEurope
Daft

General TV Thread

Never heard of the novel it's based on but the trailer looks cool.

Will give it a watch.

I'm vary of it since it was from the creator of Westworld. If they just keep it at one season, it might be cool, and it does look interesting.

Watched the first episode and it's pretty intriguing. Some neat special effects, too.

Second episode is out now, as well. Might watch it later today.

Been watching Peripheral and have been enjoying it to far, only a few episodes in at the moment.

In other news, NEIGHBOURS IS SAVED!!

When it was announced that it was getting cancelled, I knew it was only a matter of time before one of the streaming services swooped in.

It was only a matter of time.

12 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

When it was announced that it was getting cancelled, I knew it was only a matter of time before one of the streaming services swooped in.

It was only a matter of time.

Yeah, i thought that it would only be a matter of time.

25 minutes ago, bob said:

Yeah, i thought that it would only be a matter of time.

Yes, I agree. Only a matter of time.

On 17/11/2022 at 10:56 AM, BowserBasher said:

Been watching Peripheral and have been enjoying it to far, only a few episodes in at the moment.

In other news, NEIGHBOURS IS SAVED!!

So fucking happy when I saw this. A shame it took this long and we have to wait until late next year, but I'm looking forward to seeing how old the episodes go back. Until then I've got the farewell tour in March to go to.

I finished watching The Devil's Hour on the Prime. Not enough Capaldi as advertised, too much wooden acting child - now I hate child actors always, because they're terrible - however this seems to be the actual personality of the character, BUT! it doesn't stop the character from being really boring. You just don't care what happens involving him and you want more cryptic Capaldi. The twist was alright. Much better than Behind Her Eyes, because you knew it was going to be something wild not long into it. I can't help thinking that things were half-done, something was missing to justify the length, as many things are stretched out.

Spoiler

Isaac was an anomaly because of the time fapping, this seems to be some sort of magic one off. So none of the people Capaldi saved *ever* had children? C'maahn.

The Simpsons has been renewed for two more seasons; bringing them to 36 seasons and 794 episodes (assuming 22 in each). 

Bob's Burgers and Family Guy have also been renewed for two seasons each

It's astonishing that there are still enough people that watch it, but i guess a lot of people must treat it like a soap now. People probably said that when Coronation Street was renewed for another season in 1972.

I really need another super low stakes TV series that you're always happy to stick on, especially while you're eating your evening meal.

Two past examples of this that I think you'll agree are basically identical, are Star Trek Next Gen or Masterchef: The Professionals.

Saw that The Legend of Vox Machina has a new series on Amazon Prime. I couldn't really remember much about the first season, other than I quite enjoyed it, so i started the new one. 

Instantly i realised that a lot of my memories were confused with The Dragon Prince on Netfliix. They are both fantasy cartoons with elves and magic and dragons, and I got many of the plots mixed up when trying to remember what happened in S1. 

The Legend of Vox Machina is very similar to many other fantasy cartoons, but their USP is that their characters are allowed to say Fuck. Anyway, season 2 starts off slowly, but just about gets into a swing around episode 6 or 7, when it suddenly ends because they've only released half a season!? Bullshit. I wish Amazon would stop doing this. Either release them all at once, or one at a time. i hate getting into a binge of a series, and then finding out it's only half there.

Coincidentally, The Dragon Prince also has a new series out on Netflix, so i watched that next. They aren't allowed to say Fuck. They also aren't allowed to use their own accents, and all have to put on excruciatingly bad fake ones. As far as I can tell, the show is recorded/made in Canada, so most of the actors are Canadian, but none of them can do a convincing accent? The main elf lady is supposed to have a Scottish accent, but it's really bad and keeps slipping into Canadian. They also have a race of elves who have French accents (I assume this is to help with world-building to make the world seem more diverse?), but they are all terrible 'hon-hon-hon' and 'zut alors!' caricatures. Series 4 (the latest one) has just introduced a new character called Terry whose accent is genuinely so bad I can't tell when it is supposed to be - i think it's Kiwi? Or Australian? Just awful. 

Anyway, this one starts off very slow - probably because the end of Season 3 kind of wrapped up most of the storyline, so they need to re-start all the plot to get it all going again. I'm 4 or 5 episodes in now though, and it's starting to get better. They've just travelled to meet a new race of Earth elves, so i can't wait to find out what accent they'll have!

On 1/31/2023 at 9:19 PM, Shorty said:

I really need another super low stakes TV series that you're always happy to stick on, especially while you're eating your evening meal.

Two past examples of this that I think you'll agree are basically identical, are Star Trek Next Gen or Masterchef: The Professionals.

NCIS [and Hawai'i] are good background shizzle

On 21/02/2023 at 11:39 AM, bob said:

The Legend of Vox Machina is very similar to many other fantasy cartoons, but their USP is that their characters are allowed to say Fuck. Anyway, season 2 starts off slowly, but just about gets into a swing around episode 6 or 7, when it suddenly ends because they've only released half a season!? Bullshit. I wish Amazon would stop doing this. Either release them all at once, or one at a time. i hate getting into a binge of a series, and then finding out it's only half there.

Actually they were releasing 3 episodes a week which is pretty reasonable I think, and they're all out now. I personally prefer a slower release of shows so I can fight the temptation to binge watch and won't go very long gaps with nothing to watch (which is what I'm experiencing now)

Also not sure if you're aware of it, but the whole thing is an adaptation of a popular podcast/video series called Critical Role - a group of famous voice actors playing Dungeons and Dragons, the campaign written and DM'd by Matt Mercer, another big name in VA. They have a lot of laughs and act occasionally and typically childish for a D&D party, hence the general tone/swearing/violence. The players reprise their characters' roles for the cartoon too.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Shorty said:

Actually they were releasing 3 episodes a week which is pretty reasonable I think, and they're all out now. I personally prefer a slower release of shows so I can fight the temptation to binge watch and won't go very long gaps with nothing to watch (which is what I'm experiencing now)

Also not sure if you're aware of it, but the whole thing is an adaptation of a popular podcast/video series called Critical Role - a group of famous voice actors playing Dungeons and Dragons, the campaign written and DM'd by Matt Mercer, another big name in VA. They have a lot of laughs and act occasionally and typically childish for a D&D party, hence the general tone/swearing/violence. The players reprise their characters' roles for the cartoon too.

I had no idea about any of this! That does explain a lot of things about it though. 

Good news about the rest of the season releasing though! I didn't check to see when the rest were coming, I just saw that there were new episodes, and assumed they'd released the first half all at once. 

Been watching some HBO shows I got in box sets for my birthday/Christmas last year. 

Band of Brothers – abso-freakin'-lutely brilliant and harrowing watch, it's been a while since I've watched something about WWII and just been left floored (the last to do it was probably when I first watched Schindler's List?). I think we're in such a weird moment in time where everyone is so focused on defining masculinity as being this or that, soft or hard, emotionless or emotional, and shows like this are a stark reminder, to me, of what I think masculinity is about...and it has naught all to do with masculinity in the first place, it comes down to your humanity, to defining what you think is right and then taking action. The men in this show paint a picture of what that means for and to them, individually, throughout, and that's what helps to make the show truly great. Episode 10 and the final words we hear from Winters crushed me. 10/10

Chernobyl – horrible tragedy, great show. It's a tricky one for me to gauge with how certain characters are painted, particular Dyatlov, because I came away with a lot of questions about his depiction, so I won't talk about how accurate a depiction it is or isn't, but instead just praise how effective the show was in taking coming up against a force of nature and more or less turning it into a horrifying monster. The way the Geiger counter is mixed into the sound design and music ratchets the tension up more than it has any right to, and I don't think a single foot was put wrong in the show's performances. I've seen Stellan Skarsgård in a few things before, but between his performance in this, Baron Harkonnen in Dune, and as Luthen in Andor, he's quickly become one of my favourite actors for the performances he's given in recent years. Was a bit funny seeing Jared Harris in this after being most exposed to him in Mad Men, and well, there are similarities. No surprise that Craig Mazin went on to work on TLOU after this, makes complete sense, as do some of the additions made to that show's story when looking at how he handled Chernobyl.

My biggest gripe with the show is probably that we have a bunch of Russians and Ukrainians portrayed mostly by Brits, which at times I found a bit distracting with their accents (I loved Jared Harris's performance but I think you'd be hard-pressed to get a more British-sounding actor of his calibre of acting), especially when you get "comrade" thrown in throughout; I'm not one to normally get hung up on details like this, but considering just how serious and localised a tragedy it was, I do think it was a huge missed opportunity. No idea if it's something they looked at, so I can only speak to how the show turned out, but those are my two cents. 9/10

The Wire – S1 I finished last week, bit of a slow burn (not at all unexpected given, I mean, it's called The Wire) but when it going, man, it reeeeeeeeally got going. I knew one or two of the actors in the show going into it, but had no idea that certain other faces (such as Lance Reddick) would be turning up. Lester and, weirdly enough, Prez, were probably my favourite of the team, and I obviously loved everything they did/are doing with Omar too. As far as first seasons go? 9/10

S2 I finished today, and well, it was somehow an even slower burn than the first season was for me, and didn't quite hit the same heights by the time it wrapped up. No idea what this show's production was like, but I'm guessing with how neatly S1 wrapped up and how S2 takes a good while to unwrap some of that to get the ball rolling again, that the show was likely renewed for S2 (and probably S3) after S1 was well under way. S2 feels like a whole lot of foundation for what's to come, even if it is still brilliantly acted, and while the main story thread at the docks was intriguing, for me I was surprised by just how much the show continued some of the first season's lingering threads, and especially to the extent that it did. 8/10

Hoping S3 isn't as slow a burn, then. Here's hoping :p

Finished watching The Marvellous Mrs Maisel on Prime.

It was ok. We watched the first 3 seasons before the pandemic, and then hadn't realised that they'd done another 2, so we binged the rest in a few weeks. I like a lot of the side characters (the dad and Suzie were great) but where it falls down imo is that Mrs Maisel herself is just so unlikeable. And she keeps torpedoing her own career by being unable to shut her own damn mouth again and again. Almost every episode in the latter few seasons, she has a 'big break', but near the end of the episode she insults the boss, or breaks the rules etc, and then gets fired. It's just so annoying. I guess it's because she wants to get to the top her own way, without a filter yada yada, but its so frustrating to watch.

Anyway, the final episode is actually really well done and satisfying in tying up all the loose ends and showing what happens in the future. I would give the whole thing a 7.5/10.

We started watching Succession recently, and have almost completed season 2. We were a bit apprehensive about it, it didn't really seem to be that good. I still think it doesn't deserve all that praise but it's good enough to keep watching it to the end, I think. 

Nearly done with Succession - halfway through season 4. I don't understand the praise. Sure, there's something about it, but it just doesn't get really good. Acting is good, but as no character is truly likeable (except Greg but he's changed a lot since season one which is the point, I guess) it's hard to find someone to root for. I also feel that all plot devices and turns just like turn into nothing after a while and that many points are just forgotten. I wouldn't be able to tell anyone what has actually happened during the show, just that the kids are spoiled brats that feel entitled and want to take over their dad's company.

It's not bad as such, it'js just weird. I wouldn't rate it higher than 7/10, though.

Teaser for the new series of Frasier:

And a few images from the show:

a92NlPj.jpg
vSe4xzU.jpg
cdpsV45.jpg

Edited by Helmsly

Is that Nicholas Lyndhurst!? How'd he end up there?

I did wonder what was going to happen to this, I think writer Joe Cristalli fucked it up happening at Netflix with the Chappelle protest reaction, I thought it was dead in the water

7 hours ago, bob said:

Is that Nicholas Lyndhurst!? How'd he end up there?

He and Kelsey Grammar did a play in London a few years back. Think they've been friends since.

Or IDK, maybe he found a portal to another time in his house again.

• Like 1