NEurope
Daft

General TV Thread

I finished watching all of Dexter: New Blood in one sitting. I literally watched all ten episodes back-to-back because I was gripped. It more than made up for that horrible ending of Dexter.

Spoiler

People had their problems with the ending but I thought it was a perfect way to end his story. At the end of the day, he broke the code that he held throughout his whole life. He became the very monsters he killed to satisfy the Dark Passenger. Although Harrison was annoying, I thought it was fitting that he was the one to finish the story. The best thing they can now do with Dexter is to leave well alone. Everything is tied up with a nice bow rather than whatever the fuck that final season of Dexter was. I absolutely loved seeing Debra again! 

On 14/01/2022 at 9:49 AM, bob said:

We're continuing on with this, even though it hasn't really picked up the pace. At least stuff has actually happened in the last couple of episodes.

One thing I find quite weird, is the Mossbacher family, and their approach to money. Supposedly, the mother is the CEO of a large tech firm, and so you would assume is quite well paid/rich. However, so much of the dialogue and situation that they are in, makes it seem like the don't have much money - for a start, why are they in a suite with only one bedroom, and all three kids have to sleep in the lounge? It really makes it seem like they were written as a much poorer family, and then at the last second, they decided to make the mother a CEO. 

Finished it last night. Would not recommend. Should have been a 2 hour film rather than a 6 hour series. Even then, it would have dragged.

Yeah it's a Superbowl car ad, but if you've watched The Sopranos, it's undeniably hard to not get chills watching this:

Spoiler

Meadow finally learned how to park! 

Teaser trailer for The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power –

Looks okay, though I have seen some LOTR fans a bit concerned by just how clean a lot of it looks when compared to the movies. Guess we'll have to wait and see how it turns out! 

Looks like generic fantasy shlock, absolutely nothing like LOTR at all.  As expected.

Shame.

On 2/9/2022 at 8:53 PM, Julius said:

Futurama is (reportedly) making a comeback! 

The amount of times it has been cancelled and brought back is ridiculous at this point!

I'm a bit cautious about this one, since the series ended on a really good note last time.  It would be a bit upsetting if they brought it back again and let it die on a sour note this time; shows aren't meant to last forever... (The less said about The Simpsons the better).

On 14/02/2022 at 10:21 AM, Dcubed said:

I'm a bit cautious about this one, since the series ended on a really good note last time.  It would be a bit upsetting if they brought it back again and let it die on a sour note this time;

Me too. Though I do feel that they know what they are doing with Futurama, it has such a huge fan base that I think they must have a story to tell. Also it has now been reported that John DiMaggio is back as Bender too now.

Not sure where else to put this but 

Really stupid of channel 5 to stop funding for the show. The show pulls in over a million views daily, more than most domestic stuff, yet they want to focus on those. Will be sorely missed.

Shocking! Seemed like Neighbours is something that would never go away. I haven’t watched it for about 15 years but still sad its going.

It does seem very weird for Channel 5 to drop it when it still pulls in those sort of numbers, maybe they paid a percentage towards the production and weren't seeing enough of a return on it? The UK must be a huge chunk of the shows market for it to be cancelled altogether after they failed to find another UK broadcast partner.

I haven't actively watched Neighbours for a long time now but it was clear that the quality had dropped off over the years, back in the day I watched it religiously and between 2003 - 2005 it was genuinely one of the best things on TV so it's a real shame to see that it's coming to an end.

I never watch soaps, but I'm familiar with Neighbours. So I googled the theme for some nostalgia.. It seems there are quite a lot of different versions at this point, and I'm only familiar with the original one. Apparently it's been a while since I've come across Neighbours on television.. 

3 hours ago, killthenet said:

maybe they paid a percentage towards the production and weren't seeing enough of a return on it? The UK must be a huge chunk of the shows market for it to be cancelled altogether after they failed to find another UK broadcast partner.

It was paid for in part by Channel 5, I do think that it gets more viewers here than it does in Australia, it can be the only reason why they have had to cancel it, if they can't get another channel here to help pay towards the production, then they probably couldn't do it themselves.

• Thanks 1

I used to watch Neighbors after school in the late 80's and all through the 90's but like a few others mentioned, I've not watched it in at least 15 years now. I am surprised it is being canceled if it brings in a million viewers though.

53 minutes ago, Helmsly said:

I am surprised it is being canceled if it brings in a million viewers though.

From what I read, channel 5 wanted to spend the money on making home grown shows. I'm actually surprised no other channel has decided to take it up, I\m guessing they wanted it to be a terrestrial channel though, so really it would have been the BBC taking it back or channel 4. 

I'm five episodes into Peacemaker now. This is probably some of the best super hero television I have seen. It has a really good blend of humour, interesting characters, and mystery. Can't recommend it enough. You need to watch The Suicide Squad first, though, as it pretty much spoils that movie in the first 5 minutes.

• Like 1

This is looking good. I’ve had the book on my kindle wish list for years but never actually got round to buying it. 

So I watched that Castlevania show on Netflix over the course of two days. At first i thought it was going to be a pretty crappy video game media tie in but the story ended up actually being pretty good. Neer the start there was a lot of fights and gore but by season 3 and 4 there was a lot less fighting and a lot more character development and backlstory.

Was surprisingly really good...

11 hours ago, martinist said:

So I watched that Castlevania show on Netflix over the course of two days. At first i thought it was going to be a pretty crappy video game media tie in but the story ended up actually being pretty good. Neer the start there was a lot of fights and gore but by season 3 and 4 there was a lot less fighting and a lot more character development and backlstory.

Was surprisingly really good...

Yeah I finished season 4 recently as well and it was a great series in all. I especially enjoyed episode 9 of season 4, that was a lot like a Castlevania game including boss battles haha. To be honest I wasn't that big a fan of the branching out of the stories in Season 3, it felt a bit as if they were searching which way to go and somehow decided to tie it all up in Season 4.

Flew through all 3 series of Detectorists on BBC iPlayer and absolutely loved it, easy 10/10!

My wife and I have been enjoying life too much the past couple of weeks so we put on Euphoria. Man.. that's hardcore. But it's great. We aren't that far, yesterday we started episode 6 of season 1 but my wife fell asleep so I stopped it. It's a good show but very hard to watch at times. 

On 28/04/2022 at 9:32 AM, MindFreak said:

My wife and I have been enjoying life too much the past couple of weeks 

Say no more, say no more. Wink wink, nudge nudge.

• Haha 1

On 10/03/2022 at 12:05 PM, MindFreak said:

I'm five episodes into Peacemaker now. This is probably some of the best super hero television I have seen. It has a really good blend of humour, interesting characters, and mystery. Can't recommend it enough. You need to watch The Suicide Squad first, though, as it pretty much spoils that movie in the first 5 minutes.

Agreed, Peacemaker was fantastic. The way James Gunn pairs music to anything he makes is really great.

I've watched the first 5 episodes of The Boys on Amazon Prime, and it's really good. Season 3 might even be better than the first two, but i'll wait and see how it ends. 

Spoiler

I really hope they do something with Homelander that has some sort of finality about it. I know they're reluctant to kill off main characters in TV shows because they usually have long contracts, and they have to worry about bringing viewers back in, but i really hope they defeat him in some way at the end of Season 3. The fact that Soldier Boy seems to have some sort of power-neutralising beam makes me hopeful, but who knows.

Tony Sirico, aka Paulie Walnuts in The Sopranos, has passed away:

Another wise guy gone :(

On 21/06/2022 at 2:20 PM, bob said:

Agreed, Peacemaker was fantastic. The way James Gunn pairs music to anything he makes is really great.

I've watched the first 5 episodes of The Boys on Amazon Prime, and it's really good. Season 3 might even be better than the first two, but i'll wait and see how it ends. 

Spoilers up until S03E05 (Hide contents)

I really hope they do something with Homelander that has some sort of finality about it. I know they're reluctant to kill off main characters in TV shows because they usually have long contracts, and they have to worry about bringing viewers back in, but i really hope they defeat him in some way at the end of Season 3. The fact that Soldier Boy seems to have some sort of power-neutralising beam makes me hopeful, but who knows.

Spoiler

Yeah, so I guess I hoped too much. They didn't kill off Homelander, they didn't kill off Soldier Boy. They didn't even kill off Maeve, even though she literally sacrificed her life to save the others, and then they randomly brought her back at the end? 

The show was really good up until the final episode. 

I started The Boys on Sunday, and finished up Season 3 last night.

Loved it. It's easily the best live-action superhero show I've watched, no question, just great writing and an excellent cast of characters, with Antony Starr as Homelander giving my favourite performance in a superhero anything since Heath Ledger's Joker in The Dark Knight. 

Spoiler

You know he's done a fantastic job when pretty much every scene he's not in, I'm on the edge of my seat worried that he'll turn up. 

He'd be my pick to be the MCU's Doctor Doom. 

I could talk about this show until I'm blue in the face, but instead, I'll just highlight a few things.

It's very openly a deconstruction of the genre and some very specific superheroes, but what makes it a great deconstruction in my opinion is that, even though it's an adaptation, it's not afraid to change things from the source material (note: I haven't read the source material myself, but needed to check something about the first season because I don't think the show did the best job with that scene, and the differences I read between the show and source material seemed like great changes to me) while winking and nodding at the source material, and in my opinion these changes are for the better. Compare this to the MCU, which has a very "will-they-won't-they" relationship with adapting its source material. I also think the deconstruction just shows a mastery and understanding of the genre which is incredibly rare, because it does such a good job at it, to the point I think the folks over at DC should be on their hands and knees begging the folks working on The Boys to handle some of their properties, as they've exhibited a thorough understanding of their properties in an unrelated show

Something else I want to highlight is just the great sense of humour, they do a great job of bringing people into the joke. It reminds me a lot of Rick and Morty to be honest, which I think does a great job of making people feel smarter than they are with smartly written jokes about very complex subjects, whereas The Boys understands it's audience and how hooked they are on films and film news that it feels like an in-joke when they joke about them indirectly. For me, it was getting a joke about the production troubles faced by a certain Star Wars film, I had to pause I was laughing so hard :D

In short: if you haven't, watch it. If anything I'm gutted I didn't watch it sooner (my friends didn't sell it nearly hard enough!), but I'm also gutted that I'm now caught up. I still have to check out Diabolical, but yeah, that's some damn good television, and live-action superhero television at that :bowdown:

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1