NEurope
Daft

General TV Thread

I've caught up to what's been released of The Handmaid's Tale season 4 now. This season is much, much better than the third season which was just 80 % filler with no real advancement to the story. This season, however, we have seen much more character development and the story is far more interesting.

I still find it hard to believe that such a dramatic change to society could happen in just 7 years (in s4 ep7 June says that's it's been 7 years now). I know, Nazi Germany happened in a shorter time span but still. I could have accepted 10 or 15 years but I know that wouldn't work with the story of June and Luke losing their newborn daughter.

Now I just want to see Gilead burn down. :D 

Next up is The Mare of Easttown which is getting very good reviews. We'll probably spice that up with some Cobra Kai to have something a bit more lighthearted on the side but we don't have much time for watching television these days so it'll probably be some time before we finish that.

Edited by MindFreak

Finished Mare of Easttown this Monday. It was a good show with a lot of character and depth. It might not be as good as everyone's saying it is but I enjoyed it very much nonetheless.

We needed something lighter and shorter again now, so started watching Cobra Kai yesterday. Two episodes in. I haven't watched the Karate Kid-movies since I was a child but I do remember some bits about it - but not much about the second and third movies. My wife has never seen any of them but she got spoiled a lot in the opening scenes of Cobra Kai. Anyway, looking forward to progressing it.

I also want to watch Shadow and Bone now. 

It's good to finally have some more time in the evenings now that the children are sleeping better again. The past couple of months have been rough.

Just finished watching the first (and only thus far) season of Wayne. 

Not heard of it before, but it was a YouTube show before it got picked up by Amazon. Am hoping they produce more of this. It’s basically about a teenage kid who goes in search of his dying dad’s Trans Am. Ridiculously over the top and violent, but I believe it was done by the writers of Deadpool so that’s to be expected I suppose.

Also, found out there’s a new season of Mr Inbetween out now, so I’ll be “acquiring” that soon enough. 

Bought an iPad about a year ago and it came with a year free subscription of Apple TV. Realised the other day my trial was coming to an end and I’d watched absolutely nothing on it so decided to cancel.

Before I did though, I made sure to blitz through the Long Way Up documentary with Ewan McGregor and Charlie Boorman. I was a big fan of Long Way Round and Long Way Down that they did in the mid 00s so this was always going to be good. Really enjoyed it, though considering what happened with the pandemic a few months after their trip concluded, I doubt we’ll see any more from them.

I didn’t realise that the little girl they met in Mongolia in the first series would end up getting adopted by McGregor. Really touching moment when he was talking about the first trip and how it was so hard, they considered skipping Mongolia and going through Russia instead. If they’d done that, he would have never met her. 

Started watching Ted Lasso, 4 episodes in, absolutely love it. So much fun 

On 09/06/2021 at 11:12 AM, MindFreak said:

Finished Mare of Easttown this Monday. It was a good show with a lot of character and depth. It might not be as good as everyone's saying it is but I enjoyed it very much nonetheless.

We needed something lighter and shorter again now, so started watching Cobra Kai yesterday. Two episodes in. I haven't watched the Karate Kid-movies since I was a child but I do remember some bits about it - but not much about the second and third movies. My wife has never seen any of them but she got spoiled a lot in the opening scenes of Cobra Kai. Anyway, looking forward to progressing it.

I also want to watch Shadow and Bone now. 

It's good to finally have some more time in the evenings now that the children are sleeping better again. The past couple of months have been rough.

Did you persist with Cobra Kai? I thought the first couple episodes were weak, but it got so much better. Wife and I blitzed it in a couple of weeks. Lots of nostalgia if you liked the movies, and it's great TV if you're willing to dismiss that thought in the back of your head about how unbelievable all the karate fighting really is.

1 hour ago, Mr_Odwin said:

Did you persist with Cobra Kai? I thought the first couple episodes were weak, but it got so much better. Wife and I blitzed it in a couple of weeks. Lots of nostalgia if you liked the movies, and it's great TV if you're willing to dismiss that thought in the back of your head about how unbelievable all the karate fighting really is.

We are it all raw, yeah. It was great. The last season was a bit weaker, though. Old sensei dude was a bit too much, though. 

South Park has been renewed for 4 seasons (bringing it to 30) and 14 movies?!?!

The Wheel of TIme is coming to Amazon Prime on November 19th - and a new trailer promotes it:

Looks like it could very well become the next big fantasy hit along with The Witcher season 2. Might have to subscribe to Amazon Prime at some point for this (but will probably wait for The Boys season 3 before I go back to AP).

The Wheel of TIme is coming to Amazon Prime on November 19th - and a new trailer promotes it:
Looks like it could very well become the next big fantasy hit along with The Witcher season 2. Might have to subscribe to Amazon Prime at some point for this (but will probably wait for The Boys season 3 before I go back to AP).
Someone made it it's own thread! Go check it out!

That long talked about Halo TV series (the one with Spielberg in the chair of producer?) is coming out next year on Paramount+:

That's a good looking, high budget helmet :p wouldn't be surprised if Xbox roll out some sort of Paramount+ deal on Game Pass when this drops.

How I met you father is premiering in January

Hillary Duff plays the main character with Kim Cattrall playing her older version. 

Yeah, I think this is going to be cancelled after the first season. 

• Like 1

K1YP.gif

Wonder if it's going to be as sexist as How I Met Your Mother. If that show had come out today, it would've been crucified. Will be interesting to see if How I Met Your Father will be met with criticism (assuming it'll be a similar show just with the roles reversed).

Edited by drahkon

About time Jim got a comeback! Been waiting for a streaming service to bring back the old episodes but alas, nothing has happened. 

Nick Offerman has been cast as Bill in HBO's The Last of Us series. 

Took me by surprise, but then I quickly came around to it. It was probably that photo :p

I didn't laugh but then I can recall a clip from the first episode of Mother being released that I didn't find funny but watched the show because of Alyson Hannigan and it grew on me. Sitcoms tend to take a little while to find their feet* so I'll see what people think after the first season is done. Although it's not like I've got huge hopes.

*Rewatched Mindy Project starting at season 3 recently and having finished I've gone back to season 1 and it's a very different beast in comparison. Similarly when I rewatched 30 Rock a while back I noticed it took them a while to find what became their voice/style.

Has anyone else watch The White Lotus? It supposed to be one of the highest rated shows of last year.

My wife wanted to watch it, so we gave the first few episodes a try (I think we're halfway through). Neither of us is particularly impressed tbh. It's reeeeeeeeeeally slow. You keep thinking something is about to happen - it seems to be building up, but then....nothing. The whole show has this sort of weird tension, but nothing actually happens.

On 11/01/2022 at 1:54 PM, bob said:

Has anyone else watch The White Lotus? It supposed to be one of the highest rated shows of last year.

My wife wanted to watch it, so we gave the first few episodes a try (I think we're halfway through). Neither of us is particularly impressed tbh. It's reeeeeeeeeeally slow. You keep thinking something is about to happen - it seems to be building up, but then....nothing. The whole show has this sort of weird tension, but nothing actually happens.

We're continuing on with this, even though it hasn't really picked up the pace. At least stuff has actually happened in the last couple of episodes.

One thing I find quite weird, is the Mossbacher family, and their approach to money. Supposedly, the mother is the CEO of a large tech firm, and so you would assume is quite well paid/rich. However, so much of the dialogue and situation that they are in, makes it seem like the don't have much money - for a start, why are they in a suite with only one bedroom, and all three kids have to sleep in the lounge? It really makes it seem like they were written as a much poorer family, and then at the last second, they decided to make the mother a CEO.