NEurope
Daft

General TV Thread

In fairness the new season isn't coming back until at least September so it could be 2022 that's the worst...

I'm not surprised, it was clearly near the end of it's life. Although as I saw someone else point out, it's a shame it didn't end of season 9 episode 9

Anybody seen Ted Lasso?
It's soooo good :D

So happy to see that two more season are planned :peace:

2 hours ago, drahkon said:

March 20th on AdultSwim

:bouncy:

Oh hell yes! Forgot there was a new season coming. Can't wait. Hopefully the UK release won't be so far behind the US release this time around. Think I might go back and rematch the first two seasons to get ready.

• Like 1

Watched the latest season of The Expanse, and was surprised in the final episode how they...

Spoiler

...dealt with the actor who played Alex Kamal being written out. It was brutal! Just a throwaway shot of him bleeding from his nose, and a quick mention of him dying in the next scene. I don't know exactly what the allegations against him were, but the speed and finality which the show dropped him makes me think they must be pretty irrefutable...

Anyway, the rest of the season itself was standard, top quality Expanse. Such a good show!

On 17/02/2021 at 4:53 PM, bob said:

Watched the latest season of The Expanse, and was surprised in the final episode how they...

Expanse S5 spoilers (Reveal hidden contents)

...dealt with the actor who played Alex Kamal being written out. It was brutal! Just a throwaway shot of him bleeding from his nose, and a quick mention of him dying in the next scene. I don't know exactly what the allegations against him were, but the speed and finality which the show dropped him makes me think they must be pretty irrefutable...

Anyway, the rest of the season itself was standard, top quality Expanse. Such a good show!

You’ve just reminded me I haven’t watched the new season yet. Made a start yesterday, realised I’ve forgotten most of what happened in s4 :indeed:

3 hours ago, Happenstance said:

Looks awesome. Only read maybe the first 30 issues of this but I’m looking forward to seeing how this turns out. 

Looks awesome. Only read maybe the first 30 issues of this but I’m looking forward to seeing how this turns out. 
To be honest, there aren't many events in season 4 that are referenced, so you should be okay.

I started watching The Expanse finally the other day. I’m mostly enjoying it so far but for the first season it was one of those shows where I didn’t really remember most characters names which is never a good sign.

2 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I started watching The Expanse finally the other day. I’m mostly enjoying it so far but for the first season it was one of those shows where I didn’t really remember most characters names which is never a good sign.

If you are watching it on Amazon Prime, I find it useful to tap the screen/hit pause if you are watching on a TV and check out the X Ray feature which shows IMDb info about each cast member helping you remember who is who. 

3 minutes ago, Dog-amoto said:

If you are watching it on Amazon Prime, I find it useful to tap the screen/hit pause if you are watching on a TV and check out the X Ray feature which shows IMDb info about each cast member helping you remember who is who. 

Yeah that’s one way but I think if a show isn’t good enough at having you get to know the characters naturally then it’s not doing a good job. It got better as it went on so I never felt the urge to drop it or anything, just something I noticed. 

I've watched all episodes of Brooklyn Nine-Nine, some multiple times, and I still can't tell you which is Scully and which is Hitchcock 🤷‍♂️

Similarly the non-core characters from Superstore. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I find it difficult on The Expanse as well because all of the spaceships and space stations have different names too, and I keep forgetting which one is which.

It doesn't really matter though, you can just enjoy the cool space battles - pew pew pew!

Just now, bob said:

I find it difficult on The Expanse as well because all of the spaceships and space stations have different names too, and I keep forgetting which one is which.

It doesn't really matter though, you can just enjoy the cool space battles - pew pew pew!

See even those I wasn’t all that impressed with. I think it suffers from the same problem a lot of modern sci-fi shows do, it wants to make it realistic so you end up not being able to see a lot (stealth ships being so prominent in the first season not helping of course) and to be honest I don’t like the majority of the ship designs.

Talking with you guys is making me realise maybe I don’t like the show after all 😆 

Today, I make a rare trip to this thread to tell you all of a TV habit I've been following for the past 2 weeks thanks to lockdown.

Normally, my TV schedule consists of leaving it on in the background whenever I play my Switch in handheld mode, but a while back, I was absentmindedly looking through my options when I saw that CBBC were showing Danger Mouse.

Yeah, that really old cartoon that I discovered when I was a teenager. It's way older than I am though.

Couldn't imagine that this was a regular thing, so I took the opportunity to watch it. It... wasn't what I was expecting...

You see, I kinda forgot that they recently rebooted Danger Mouse. But you know what? I really enjoyed it! Genuinely had some laugh out loud moments ("Danger Mouse doesn't know the meaning of fear!" "Fee-arr? Is that French?")

Pretty great voice acting choices as well, Alexander Armstrong, Stephen Fry and it's narrated by that guy who narrates 'Come Dine With Me'.

So yeah, been routinely tuning in to CBBC to watch episodes of Danger Mouse. I'm 31 years old.

My only issue is that CBBC never shows their programmes at the time they schedule because they keep chatting to random kids for too long!

Times like this, I wish I had a decent connection so I could use iPlayer. If you lot do, you should give it a watch.

Jane Leeves has already said she won't leave The Resident (and it's fairly likely to be renewed) so at best that's a cameo. As fun as Niles and Frasier were they need to have other characters around them (and no idea if DHP would be up for it anyway). 

I was always more of the mindset it should be a reunion special than a new season. But I guess Kelsey Grammar has some divorces to pay.

There hasn't been an official announcement yet but there are concerns that David Hyde Pierce won't be reprising his role either, Frasier without Niles, Daphne or his Dad is a pretty hard sell.

On 2/20/2021 at 4:52 PM, Glen-i said:

Today, I make a rare trip to this thread to tell you all of a TV habit I've been following for the past 2 weeks thanks to lockdown.

Normally, my TV schedule consists of leaving it on in the background whenever I play my Switch in handheld mode, but a while back, I was absentmindedly looking through my options when I saw that CBBC were showing Danger Mouse.

Yeah, that really old cartoon that I discovered when I was a teenager. It's way older than I am though.

Couldn't imagine that this was a regular thing, so I took the opportunity to watch it. It... wasn't what I was expecting...

You see, I kinda forgot that they recently rebooted Danger Mouse. But you know what? I really enjoyed it! Genuinely had some laugh out loud moments ("Danger Mouse doesn't know the meaning of fear!" "Fee-arr? Is that French?")

Pretty great voice acting choices as well, Alexander Armstrong, Stephen Fry and it's narrated by that guy who narrates 'Come Dine With Me'.

So yeah, been routinely tuning in to CBBC to watch episodes of Danger Mouse. I'm 31 years old.

My only issue is that CBBC never shows their programmes at the time they schedule because they keep chatting to random kids for too long!

Times like this, I wish I had a decent connection so I could use iPlayer. If you lot do, you should give it a watch.

Age is but a number. 

I was hyped two weeks ago because of My Mum Tracy Beaker. I grew up reading the books and watching the show so it was a proper nostalgia hit. The show had some decent parts in it but the timing and the pace was so fast.

I also just finished watching every episode of Sons of Anarchy and to me, about 95% of their problems could've been avoided if it wasn't for Gemma. Seasons 1-4 were great but after Season 5, it steadily declined to the point that Seasons 6 and 7 was such a chore to watch. It felt really slow and it was a shame because the first four seasons, I watched them in more or less one day but the last 3 took me over two weeks. Great acting though and some of the songs were really good too! 

I thought I'd try and watch something I'd never usually watch as well. One of my friends ALWAYS bangs on about RuPaul's Drag Race UK so we both watched it together over WhatsApp. The one I watched was where they ripped off Blankety Blank and dressed as celebrities. The Katie Price one was really funny but other than that, I didn't find the others funny at all, personally. I didn't get the one-liner puns when they were on the runway either. I mean, I got it but I didn't find it as hilarious as they did. I also don't understand the lip-syncing either- is it to do with who remembers the most words from the song or who looks convincing singing it? Maybe I should've watched it from the first episode but I might be missing something? The two Scottish guys and the vegan were the only guys I liked. I thought the rest were really bitchy. Also, Gemma Collins...no thanks, lmao.

Right now, I'm binging on Karate Kid/Cobra Kai. I'm going to watch the films and then the show. I've seen them before but I just got the Karate Kid Collection on bluray and I am hyped for it! Although the first Karate Kid is rated 15 and I really don't understand why. 

17 hours ago, Beast said:

I was hyped two weeks ago because of My Mum Tracy Beaker. I grew up reading the books and watching the show so it was a proper nostalgia hit. The show had some decent parts in it but the timing and the pace was so fast.

Yeah, I noticed that in the listings as well. My first thought was "Wow, they're still making that show?"

And then I saw an advert for it and immediately thought "Wow, she's still doing that role!?" That's some proper commitment! I was totally expecting a "Home Alone 3" and Tracy Beaker to be recast.

A lot of kids shows made these days are chock full of quick cuts and lightning pace. The optimist in me would say that this is due to the more affordable costs of programme making compared to the 90's. The pessimistic side of me would say that they're trying to ape the editing style of your average YouTube personality who won't stop cutting between every sentence!

It's probably both.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Yeah, I noticed that in the listings as well. My first thought was "Wow, they're still making that show?"

And then I saw an advert for it and immediately thought "Wow, she's still doing that role!?" That's some proper commitment! I was totally expecting a "Home Alone 3" and Tracy Beaker to be recast.

A lot of kids shows made these days are chock full of quick cuts and lightning pace. The optimist in me would say that this is due to the more affordable costs of programme making compared to the 90's. The pessimistic side of me would say that they're trying to ape the editing style of your average YouTube personality who won't stop cutting between every sentence!

It's probably both.

Yeah, it was crazy because there were about four faces that I recognised from the old series back when I was a kid that returned and I was like "okay, so effort went in to doing this", which I appreciated because it did pay off. Most of the people my age watched it as well. 

I'm thinking the pessimistic side of you is correct, honestly. It was just the absolute weirdest thing. There was no indication of how much time went past but it was literally like Tracy went on a date, snout ten minutes later she moves in with this dude and then ten minutes later, she gets engaged. The pace continued to be that throughout. 

Whether it was cut short due to the pandemic or something, I don't know, but I felt the series could've been longer and a bit more fleshed out. 

I watched every episode of WandaVision back-to-back yesterday. The first episode had me feeling unsure, although I did enjoy it. However, with every episode, I found myself more and more drawn in. I'm happy to see the return of a few characters too (one in particular had me feeling hyped up!). I'm looking forward to seeing the last episode.

Also, The Flash is back in a few days so I'm excited for that!

Sitting here now, I've realised I've seen so many TV shows these past couple of years. I used to just watch movies and a handful of shows but with nothing to do during lockdown, I've caught up on loads. My next show is probably going to be Shameless (US). I love the UK version (although the last few seasons sucked balls) but I've heard nothing but great things about the American version, which is sort of rare (the only exception being The Office. I tried watching US versions of Inbetweeners and The IT Crowd...not a fan).