NEurope
Daft

General TV Thread

There were parts about the Dexter S8 finale that i actually liked.

Spoiler

I actually thought it was very fitting that Dexter had to kill his own sister. I mean it was a bit shitty the way they brought it about, but I thought it a neat (but horrific) idea that he would have to kill someone he loved, and to have to do it out of compassion (an emotion that he presumably didn't feel before this) rather than because of his Dark Passenger. I've seen people complain about the way he just dumped her into the sea, but i liked the way it was the same as his past kills, but different, i.e. he didn't chop her up and put her in black bins bags, he wrapped her in white and gave her a sea burial instead. Their whole relationship kind of reminded me of me and my sister, so when she died I found it very powerful indeed.

I also like the way that she turned out to be his last kill, as if the act of killing her for compassion broke him, and forced him to ride off into the storm to kill himself.

Which is what happened.

2 minutes ago, bob said:

Spoiler (Hide contents)

I actually thought it was very fitting that Dexter had to kill his own sister. I mean it was a bit shitty the way they brought it about, but I thought it a neat (but horrific) idea that he would have to kill someone he loved, and to have to do it out of compassion (an emotion that he presumably didn't feel before this) rather than because of his Dark Passenger. I've seen people complain about the way he just dumped her into the sea, but i liked the way it was the same as his past kills, but different, i.e. he didn't chop her up and put her in black bins bags, he wrapped her in white and gave her a sea burial instead. Their whole relationship kind of reminded me of me and my sister, so when she died I found it very powerful indeed.

I also like the way that she turned out to be his last kill, as if the act of killing her for compassion broke him, and forced him to ride off into the storm to kill himself.

Which is what happened.

I am so happy Dexter is coming back because I thought the quality of the last season was just so...bland for a Dexter season. 

Debra was my favourite character by far in that show. Jennifer Carpenter was brilliant. 

Just watched the first episode of the new series of His Dark Materials. Now getting into territory never adapted before so no film to compare it to and I must say I really enjoyed that episode. Notable how the amount of wisecracks Pan had this episode was definitely turned up a notch and he was part of all the funniest moments of the episode.

The cinematography in the episode was really well done too, especially this shot:

Looking forward to the rest of the series now. Sucks that there are only 7 episodes this season due to COVID, which may also unfortunately impact Amber Spyglass getting adapted into a third season of this series.

7 hours ago, Aperson said:

Looking forward to the rest of the series now. Sucks that there are only 7 episodes this season due to COVID, which may also unfortunately impact Amber Spyglass getting adapted into a third season of this series.

As far as I know, this was actually shot before the Corona outbreak. Season 1 and 2 were shot back to back so that Lyra wouldn't age between them. The Amber Spyglass hasn't begun filming yet, as Lyra is supposed to be about 16 in that book.

I've started watching Watchmen. Really good stuff, four episodes in.

Edited by MindFreak

4 hours ago, MindFreak said:

As far as I know, this was actually shot before the Corona outbreak. Season 1 and 2 were shot back to back so that Lyra wouldn't age between them. 

There was one episode that was due to be filmed later

Spoiler

Lord Asriel, who I don't think appeared in The Suble Knife book, was going to have a sort of "standalone" episode, which would have brought the episode count up to 8. This was being filmed later and cancelled due to Coronavirus.

1 hour ago, Cube said:

There was one episode that was due to be filmed later

Missing season 2 episode, spoilers about character not appearing in season 2 (Hide contents)

Lord Asriel, who I don't think appeared in The Suble Knife book, was going to have a sort of "standalone" episode, which would have brought the episode count up to 8. This was being filmed later and cancelled due to Coronavirus.

Cheers, didn't know about that. Hopefully that will come in Season 3 then.

Speaking of Season 3 apparently they have already started planning for Season 3 but as of yet there is no official confirmation of a third season by the BBC, who are probably waiting on viewer numbers for Season 2. I really hope there is a third season, been years since I read the Amber Spyglass but I definitely remember it being really interesting.

Finished Watchmen yesterday. That was a good show and I'm happy that a second season isn't on the way - I don't feel that I need it. The overall plot was good and enjoyable and even though I have read Watchmen, it's been 8 or so years so I don't remember that much from it. Still didn't feel lost, though I had to look up a few things. Easily recommended.

Season 2 of His Dark Materials has been great, so far. Really enjoying it. It naturally feels like there has been a step up since season 1, and I think the casting choices have been the right choices, especially for the roles of Lyra and Will. Love it, tbh. Thought Episode 2 was one of the strongest eps of the series.

On 13.11.2020 at 10:02 AM, Happenstance said:

I thought the big thing was that Watchmen wasn’t getting a second season?

Yes. I'm happy that it isn't getting one. :)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

Yes. I'm happy that it isn't getting one. :)

I think I must have mis-read your isn’t for an is.

1 hour ago, Happenstance said:

I think I must have mis-read your isn’t for an is.

No worries. :)

I get to watch the first episode of HDM season 2 tonight (we're a little behind you guys, it seems). Looking forward to it!

12 hours ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

Season 2 of His Dark Materials has been great, so far. Really enjoying it. It naturally feels like there has been a step up since season 1, and I think the casting choices have been the right choices, especially for the roles of Lyra and Will. Love it, tbh. Thought Episode 2 was one of the strongest eps of the series.

Would definitely agree there. The complexity of the books does increase from the second book onwards so naturally things are getting more expansive in the show too. Although, people who have already read the books are freaking out over the bench scene... no spoilers obviously!

Spoiler

Though, the cinematography in said bench scene is really good. Really feels like TV has been leaning more into the artistic aspect of things which is what this show really needed.

Also, next time you try and make a scientific breakthrough I guess the answer is to just wait for a child from another world to come along and fix your problems...

Sucks the HBO are getting it an entire week after the BBC but I suppose it can't be helped. I'll try and avoid talking too much about the series so that I don't spoil it for @MindFreak

I will also say that I can't help but compare this and Xenoblade Chronicles to each other. Both feature a protagnist that gets some mystical item that allows them to perceive things not normal for humans and...

Spoiler

Both end in killing God

1 hour ago, Aperson said:

Sucks the HBO are getting it an entire week after the BBC but I suppose it can't be helped. I'll try and avoid talking too much about the series so that I don't spoil it for @MindFreak

Cheers. Just spoiler-box stuff for each episode and I'll be happy. :) 

1 hour ago, MindFreak said:

Cheers. Just spoiler-box stuff for each episode and I'll be happy. :) 

Will try and remember that.

Not sure if it's been mentioned in this thread before, but the composer Lorne Balfe apparently was also involved in the Assassin's Creed series, doing music for Assassin's Creed III. He has a Youtube channel where he uploads a lot of his work.

https://www.youtube.com/c/LorneBalfe/videos

EDIT: Couldn't find the specific videos through that link, but here's one of music tracks that was used in Season 1 that got remixed for Season 2:

Edited by Aperson

On 16/10/2020 at 8:02 AM, bob said:

Spoiler (Reveal hidden contents)

Which is what happened.

I finished watching it around the same time. They could've finished it at season 7. This was on par with Game of Thrones for dull endings. Especially the pawning off of Harrison, and his killer girlfriend just not dyeing her fucking hair.

Started rewatching Shitts Creek (starting from season 3) the other day and just finishing off season 5 now. It's exactly the sweet and funny kind of thing I need right now, plus I realised one of its good points is they swear so it feels more real. Will probably end up going back and watching the first two seasons again. 

Spoiler

Petition to make Pan watching movies into an internet meme, this image is adorable

Also Paddington is an in-canon movie now I guess? Lol.

That whole cinema scene was great though.

"What is this?" "It's popcorn" "It's disgusting" "Then stop eating it" "I can't!"

Looking forward to next week when it looks like they're finally going to get the knife.

Started a free trial of Amazon Prime yesterday and watched the first two episodes of The Boys. Great start, I feel this is something special. As much as I enjoy super hero stuff, I actually prefer learning about society in worlds with superheroes - which is also part of the reason that I enjoyed reading Civil War so much and really liked The Incredibles.

It also seems that HBO put up the first two episodes of His Dark Materials last week so I'm not behind you guys after all. (Except that we haven't seen those two episodes yet, of course).

Edited by MindFreak
  • Like 1

Oh man, Episode 4 of His Dark Materials was SO good. Even Phillip Pullman took to Twitter to praise the people adapting it on how they were doing!

Spoiler

So yeah, this is the episode where Will gets the Subtle Knife. The whole thing was built up quite well even if having this big backstory intro four episodes into a series seemed an interesting way to start. Then the whole sequence leading up to things including a cameo from Terence Stamp as the previous bearer of the knife. It definitely felt like a big moment.

I appreciate that they showed Will's fingers being cut as after last season and how Iofur died off screen I was wondering if they would show Will losing fingers or whether that would change for show purposes but credit where credit is due, they went ahead with it. Will's right hand looks pretty grusome now though.

The end reveal that Dust is Angels  and that matter and spirit are one just tips that scale up even further. All of a sudden things have come a long way than a "simple trip to the north"!

I've been watching all of The Flash for the first time and I absolutely love it. I'm on the Crisis of Infinite Earths at the moment. It's really enjoyable and has kept me sane through lockdown. 

Halfway through Season 2 of The Boys (and my free 7 day trail of Amazon Prime just ended, need to extend to a month now) and it's good. It's really good. I hope they wrap it up in season 3, though, as I don't think the plot and end-goal can stand being stretched too far.

• Like 1