NEurope
Daft

General TV Thread

7 hours ago, Dog-amoto said:

Currently watching The Knick starring Clive Owen as a turn of the 20th century surgeon in a New York hospital exploring the advent of modern medicine. Wonderful stuff, just a shame it was cancelled after 2 seasons. 

Yeah, I enjoyed that as well back when it aired. It's a shame but luckiky it didn't end on a cliffhanger or some such, it was actually a decent ending.

I finished Devs last night. It was alright, worth a watch, but the main character is just not really that good or interesting. The rest of the cast, though, is quite good. The story was fine, but they revealed some of the mystery parts too soon,, and the ending was a bit to the weird side.

• Like 1

Currently re-watching Babylon 5, which I do every five-ish years. It's my favourite TV show and my favourite story ever. Currently on season 1, and enjoying it as much as always. :D

Caught the new Harley Quinn TV show. Frankly I'm surprised it's allowed to be aired on TV there was that much swearing and gore.

Just now, Ike said:

Caught the new Harley Quinn TV show. Frankly I'm surprised it's allowed to be aired on TV there was that much swearing and gore.

Heard a lot of good things about that show.

5 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Heard a lot of good things about that show.

Well the first episode was good. Heard it was a more adult take but didn't think they had taken it quite that far.

I don't know that's so 'adult' about...

Spoiler

King Shark fucking Constantine

Yes that's canon. 

I saw this yesterday, and thought it was pretty good!

However, I have no idea where you can watch the first episode and where I can watch the rest.

Watched Kidding with Jim Carrey over the past week, both season 1 and 2. The first season was good, Carrey portrayed an interesting character and the story was good. Sometimes I got a Joker-vibe from him, which was impressive. However, I think they missed what made season 1 work well in season 2. Somehow it was less realistic, less interesting points, and it just fell short except the last two episodes. 

I'm most likely not going to watch season 3 should it be announced. 

Just watched the first episode of Chernobyl.

Gripping, horrifying, brilliant.

On 30/05/2020 at 11:47 AM, Sméagol said:

I saw this yesterday, and thought it was pretty good!

However, I have no idea where you can watch the first episode and where I can watch the rest.

End of the year, on Apple TV+. I have no other need for Apple TV, so I guess it's a good use of a trial subscription.

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/losing-alice-apple-streaming-1234691152/

After much cajoling from friends, finally started Peaky Blinders the other day. Just about managed to drag myself to start s2. My god, this is awful. It looks amazing and is pretty well acted, but the writing is utter dog shit and I don’t care about a single character. 

Don’t think I’ll be watching any more. 

1 hour ago, Dog-amoto said:

After much cajoling from friends, finally started Peaky Blinders the other day. Just about managed to drag myself to start s2. My god, this is awful. It looks amazing and is pretty well acted, but the writing is utter dog shit and I don’t care about a single character. 

Funny, this is pretty much how I’ve found season 1 the couple of times I’ve tried to watch it. I really want to like it as I love the setting and the care that’s gone into recreating everything but it’s just not grabbing me. I have promised myself to give it one more chance but just never find the motivation to put it back on.

You guys are making me feel good about not watching it. I've seen people on FB singing its praise, so it's good to know at least some people think I'm not missing out.

I've just started watching "The man in the high castle" on Prime. It's a 50s/60s drama set in the USA when Germany/Japan won WWII. Just that drama side alone would be interesting, but there's also this plot thing about weird videos that someone is making. I'm liking it, but I'm a bit confused at how the video plot fits into it all.

I watched the first couple of episodes of The Man in the High Castle back when it first came out and really enjoyed it. Definitely on the list of things to catch up on at some point.

Along a similar line we just finished watching For All Mankind on Apple TV. It’s alt history where Russia gets to the moon first and the space race just goes into over drive. Super interesting if you’re a fan of that sort of thing and explores a lot of interesting social issues too. One of the best things I’ve watched in a long time.

9 minutes ago, Mr_Odwin said:

You guys are making me feel good about not watching it. I've seen people on FB singing its praise, so it's good to know at least some people think I'm not missing out.

I've just started watching "The man in the high castle" on Prime. It's a 50s/60s drama set in the USA when Germany/Japan won WWII. Just that drama side alone would be interesting, but there's also this plot thing about weird videos that someone is making. I'm liking it, but I'm a bit confused at how the video plot fits into it all.

It does all make sense in the end. Without spoiling anything, it does get rather sci-fi towards the end. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dog-amoto said:

Don’t think I’ll be watching any more. 

We definitely watched the first two seasons, maybe even the third. Can't fully remember. It's alright/good and I enjoyed it. It's a typical BBC drama though in that you can enjoy it, but it's forgettable. I feel the same about Killing Eve, although I think that's slightly better.

3 minutes ago, Dog-amoto said:

It does all make sense in the end. Without spoiling anything, it does get rather sci-fi towards the end. 

At first I thought you were talking about Peaky Blinders, was considering an all night marathon to get through the whole thing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

We definitely watched the first two seasons, maybe even the third. Can't fully remember. It's alright/good and I enjoyed it. It's a typical BBC drama though in that you can enjoy it, but it's forgettable. I feel the same about Killing Eve, although I think that's slightly better.

Did you just diss Killing Eve? I loved series 1 and 2, and while 3 was a little weaker, it was still great to kinda root for a murderous sociopath.

1 minute ago, Mr_Odwin said:

Did you just diss Killing Eve? I loved series 1 and 2, and while 3 was a little weaker, it was still great to kinda root for a murderous sociopath.

Come at me, bro.

I like Killing Eve, but I don't think we even finished season 2. It's good, but there's sooooo much great tv out there, plus tons of stuff on the backlog to watch through Netflix/Prime, etc. 

Jodie Comer, though. :love:

• Like 1

We watched a show called Unorthodox on Netflix this week. Binged the whole thing in one day (it's only four episodes). It's about a woman who escapes an orthodox Jewish enclave and runs away to Germany.

Orthodox Jews are weird, man. We kept having to pause it to Google some of the weird shit they do. Couldn't believe it.

I tend to have one easy going comedy on the go when I want to chill out and now that it's on Prime it's Cougar Town. Yes the name is terrible and it starts off rough but once they drop the initial premise and just turn it into friends hanging out drinking wine it is very much how I want my 40s to be. 

Although I'm still say they didn't change the name to Friends with Beverages like they considered. 

We do the same thing, something we can just put on as background noise really. The latest one is Friday Night Dinner and we’ve ended up actually binge watching through almost the whole thing. For me it’s the best type of British comedy, a fairly normal setting that through the slight quirks of the characters ends up creating totally crazy and unexpected situations. Have enjoyed it a lot.

• Like 1

Recently, we got a trailer for Season 2 of His Dark Materials, airing this autumn:

Very glad they shot season 1 and 2 back to back. Otherwise, we'd probably have to wait a bit more for it.

Recently, we got a trailer for Season 2 of His Dark Materials, airing this autumn:

Very glad they shot season 1 and 2 back to back. Otherwise, we'd probably have to wait a bit more for it.