NEurope
Daft

General TV Thread

5 hours ago, MindFreak said:

There is no battle with Asriel in the first book. He is at a cabin in the north at the end of it.

Still haven't started this! It's absurd, I really want to but every time I ask my wife if we should see an episode she's "too tired". But she's still up for another 1.5 hours or so. But I'm glad that people are enjoying it and I look forward to watching it.

Watch it without her. Or, if you start watching it, it might make her join in and she'll watch it.

2 hours ago, drahkon said:

Mr. Robot's getting better and better...

I need more.

Sad that last week's 2 hour finale is the end of the show but going off of the quality of this season, I have faith that Esmail will stick the landing with the final back to back episodes.

It's been a real rollercoaster with the events of the last couple of weeks on the show but it's further cemented it as one of my all time favourite shows. Malik has been incredible this season (that Golden Globe nomination easily warranted and I could see him walking way with it for episode 7 of this season alone), as have BD Wong, Chaikin, Cristofer and Slater, and the cinematography has been some of the best I've seen in a show. I've loved all the little nods to films with certain shots and the music that Mac Quayle has provided has been so good. It's going to be sad to see it end but it's getting to end with a bang that's for sure.

I've been rewatching earlier episodes in between the newer ones and it's amazing the little details and things you notice along the way in light of the events of this season. How certain things are foreshadowed and things are almost there in plain sight has been handled so well. I've watched through the first season 4 times now and it's still every bit as good as the first time.

• Like 1

All this talk about Mr Robot is making me think that I was wrong to be a bit underwhelmed by season 1. I just couldn't see the show needing another season and don't really feel like watching it. It being only four seasons is compelling, though. 

Watchmen ended well, if anyone is interested. Make sure you read the book though, or you'll have no bloody idea what's going on.

OK, final epsiode of His Dark Materials was done perfectly. They managed to capture what made the book's ending so good so well and the cinematography in the final moments of the episode was really well done.

Considering the film never actually showed the true ending they were always going to do better than the flim by actually showing it but full credit for putting the impact of the moment in the show itself, you can tell that the writers really understood how big this is supposed to be and I don't really have anything negative to say about the finale.

• Thanks 1

Enjoyed the finale of Mr. Robot. It won’t please everybody, but it was never really a story about hacking, more a story about how we perceive ourselves and the barriers we put up to deal with the world. 

• Like 2

Watched the finale yesterday as well and loved it. It unfolded pretty much as I had hoped it would, didn't go too far out there and really stuck the landing by sticking to the themes current throughout the final season. Those last 5 or so minutes were just perfect, the way it all happened, the use of framing and music.

A brilliant end to what has been an unbelievably good final season. To come back after a 2 year break and put out something as compelling as they have is a testament to Esmail and the cast and crew (also shows that having a vision and complete story for your show all the way through can do wonders for how it all comes together). Very excited to see what Esmail does next, I think there's more Homecoming and he's supposedly going to be doing new Battlestar Galactica. I just want more of that style on screen as I loved it.

I do love that after 4 seasons they finally bit the bullet and jumped on the one piece of music that we'd all been wondering of they'd use or steer clear of.

Spoiler

Playing Styx's Mr Roboto was brilliant. And the way it transitioned from playing over the images to being the song playing in the car that stops in front of Elliot, small little details like that are why the show is brilliant.

And while I'm at it, using Outro by M83 was not simple a play on it being The Masterminds outro but also worked lyrically to who he was as well. Such a great choice there.

I'll be continuing my rewatch into the new year but that final season makes Mr Robot my favourite show of the year (Chernobyl, Undone and When They See Us are definitely up there alongside though) and makes it one of my all time favourites.

At a loss for what to watch now. I've saved up The Good Place for watching over the holidays but I just don't feel any pull to get to it. I like the show but I feel like it's about to retread old ground. I've also got The Boys to get back to and Watchmen. The former I had watched 2 episodes of  it wasn't sure what to make of it and the latter I just thought the opening episode was so dense that it made for a rough watch to me at least. Think I'll reacquaint myself with the graphic novel before jumping into it again in the hopes of lessening that density.

• Like 1

Caught up on the final season of Mr Robot this week and I agree with the rest of you, another wonderful series. I didn't enjoy it quite as much as S3, the emotional moments hit me a lot more during that series than this one - I think Darlene and Dom's airport scene was the only one that really hit me. It was a very appropriate finale though, I didn't really know what to expect but I was really satisfied, it fits with what the rest of the show has been about. Concur with all the comments about the cast too, Grace Gummer and BD Wong definitely deserve recognition in the coming awards shows.

Also watched The Mandalorian and thoroughly enjoyed it, it feels super old fashioned and it reminds me a lot of the original 70's series of Battlestar Galactica just with much higher production values and focus. After TROS its refreshing to have something that recaptures some of the original feel of Star Wars. Having Werner Herzog and Carl Weathers together in the same program is pretty incredible too. 

Finally got around to watching His Dark Materials - and what a show. I think they did it really well. It's rather dark in this adaption but it suits the show a lot. The first couple of episodes were a bit slow and uninteresting but the story picked up from there and ended on a high. Introducing Will so soon in the story was a good idea in order to skip the more boring stuff of his story. I must admit that I don't remember The Subtle Knife as well as I remembered The Golden Compass, so I hope the second season will surprise me a bit more. I really look forward to The Amber Spyglass, though. That's got to be epic.

Anyone else getting a Westworld vibe from the title sequence?

• Thanks 1

I haven't kept up with series news, but happened to stumble upon this one, looks interesting.

OK, I get what they were going for in the latest episode of Doctor Who but it was just... so very uninteresting. I tuned off about halfway through and barely caught the end...

Ever with my finger on the pulse of television I started watching Mad Men a little while ago and finished it the other night.

Spoiler

That finale was a bit...In fact the last few episodes were kind of pointless.

It's not the kind of show where I expected everything to be wrapped up all neatly, but Don just going on for a trip for a while to end the show was a bit pointless. 

Considering the whole show had been built on the two different versions of himself and him trying to keep them separate, plus his fear he'd get caught, you'd think they would have done something with that other than a brief dream sequence and the cannibalistic veteran.

He's never been a great father and always been a worse husband but finding out Betty has cancer and then just staying put in California. I know he at some point seemed like he was going to try and get back but then whatshername took him to that yoga retreat and left and he just kind of sat around. When he phoned Peggy I thought he was going to ask her to get someone to come and get him; after all he knew some people in California so even if there was no car at the retreat he could have got someone to get him.

Don aside I think most of the other characters had a decent enough send off. Pete's wasn't really earned (I was sure he was going to end up dead) and I wish Peggy had joined up with Joan - although it's in character for her to be scared and play it safe it would have been good for them to come full circle from boss/employee to partners. Although having her and Stan declare their love for each other was a bit hackneyed, particularly as they kept showing her crying in the final season it felt a bit "oh she needs a man!" I think it would have been better if they admitted they annoyed each other but admired and respected their work and had a good working relationship.

The Betty/Sally stuff though really hit. Mothers with cancer story lines always do, although they played it heavily in the penultimate and then largely brushed it aside in the finale.

I have started to watch Supernatural as nearly everyone I've spoken to has had a go of it and I've got by in life never watching an episode.

So I'm halfway through Season 1 and, honestly, it's pretty good. It's not the greatest and there's three episodes so far that come to mind that had me drifting off but so far, it's decent enough for me to carry on but it's not one of those shows that has me hooked.

• Thanks 1

Needed a new animated comedy show. Went with Gravity Falls.

3 episodes in. Some jokes feel a little forced, but other than that it's quite good.

Finished watching Gravity Falls.

Such a wonderful show. A hilarious, weird, heartfelt and wonderfully written animated comedy. :) 

Finally got round to watching s4 of Gomorrah. Seeing as they killed off a main character in the s3 finale, I never expected this to be as good...and it wasn’t to be honest, but it’s still up there with some of the best TV there is at the moment. They set an episode in London as well, which was odd listening to the dialogue, as you get quite acclimatised to having subtitles. 

Also, watched the HBO miniseries that was on a few years ago, Show Me A Hero. Oscar Isaac playing a 1980s Yonkers politician who is trying to build a few hundred units of social housing in more affluent neighbourhoods in order for the city to avoid getting sued for ignoring desegregation laws. Based on a true story. Sounds dull I know, but it’s fantastic, explores crime, politics, racism...made by the same guy who did The Wire so you know what to expect here. 

Speaking of which, I still need to watch s3 of The Deuce which has been very slow to appear on Sky Atlantic. I think they’re only just putting them on now, though I’ll wait for the entire season then I’ll binge watch. 

Finished watching the second season of You yesterday. While it was a good show, it suffered from the same problems as season 1 - too slow, too long. It could easily have been cut two-three episodes and have been better off for it.

Still, it is a good show. Don't know if I'll watch the third season, though. It has to be really good to capture me again.

Just finished the final episode of The Good Place.

Perfect. Just perfect. Had me in tears both with laughter and the big sad.

Just watched the series finale of The Deuce. Great stuff, though the epilogue was a little weird, it was different than the usual montages that these shows tend to have in their finales, and as such, stood out a lot more and over time will become more memorable.

Been really in the mood for David Simon stuff recently, having just watched Show Me A Hero and Generation Kill. Not quite ready to give The Wire a fourth watch through so may give Treme a try. Watched the first episode a while back, but didn’t watch any more for some reason. 

Edited by Dog-amoto

Currently, I'm watching Devs. It has an intriguing plot but the overall mystery has subsided a bit after a couple of episodes and now it's basically your run of a mill show about one person against a giant company and some conspiracies. Will watch it through but I'm not that invested any more halfway through.

Currently watching The Knick starring Clive Owen as a turn of the 20th century surgeon in a New York hospital exploring the advent of modern medicine. Wonderful stuff, just a shame it was cancelled after 2 seasons.