NEurope
Daft

General TV Thread

Anybody watching His Dark Materials this evening?

The original trilogy of books is one of the best stories written, or at least that was my impression from when I read the books as a teenager and I've really wanted an adaptation to do it justice ever since they adapated Harry Potter into films. After the failure of The Golden Compass film which changed the ending, a proper adaptation was sorely needed.

15 hours ago, GenericAperson said:

Anybody watching His Dark Materials this evening?

The original trilogy of books is one of the best stories written, or at least that was my impression from when I read the books as a teenager and I've really wanted an adaptation to do it justice ever since they adapated Harry Potter into films. After the failure of The Golden Compass film which changed the ending, a proper adaptation was sorely needed.

Yes, and I totally agree, the books are really, really good. I'm looking into getting The Book of Dust which is a follow-up but I'm waiting for the third book to launch. Since GoT and The Kingkiller Chronicles, I have learned that I need to wait reading great books until they are done.

I hadn't even realised that a follow up series had been released as I'd long fallen off books by the time it came out.

I like the first episode so far. I've seen some minor nitpicks over the fact that not everyone's daemon is displayed beside them and the fact that the alethiometer is square and looks like a GBA SP but as someone who hadn't read the books in years I'm enjoying getting to revisit this story again and the fact they've already renewed the series means we're going to be getting the second book at least adapted which is where I feel the story goes into it's next level.

I also like the Twitter memes that are coming out of this regarding who people's daemons would be.

• Like 1

Just finished season 3 of Mr. Robot. Unbelievably good. :D 

I've just learned that the 4th season is currently airing with 5 episodes already out. Good times we live in.

Latest episode of Mr Robot was masterfully done. Tense, thrilling and with 

Spoiler

Only 2 lines of dialogue in the whole episode

• Like 1

I’ve also made a start on Halt and Catch Fire, I think I remember it being mentioned here once or twice. Struck me as being a Mad Men clone at first, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing as it’s well acted and the characters are great. But now I’m most of the way through s2, it’s sort of doing more of its own thing - the glimpse it gives of early online tech innovation is fascinating, but I still can’t shake the thought that the writers who came up with Joe had just finished a Don Draper marathon. 

Second episode of His Dark Materials was pretty good though they do seem to be changing things around a bit from the books, such as already introducing elements from The Subtle Knife in episode 2 of season 1! Also they already revealed a major plot twist about Lord Asriel...

Favourite line from the episode has to be this:

The fact that they are changing things a bit from the book but it's still quite engaging is encouraging.

Also...

EJCZiYoWsAILUIp.jpg

• Thanks 1

Has anybody watched the final season of The Man in the High Castle yet? Rufus Sewell is once again mesmerising as John Smith, and his arc is absolutely fascinating from start to finish. However a lot of the new characters introduced fall pretty flat. Coupled with the fact that they had to write out a main character in the opening scene, presumably because they could not get the actor to reprise his role means that this is not a strong a finish as it should have been.

Still comes recommended though. 

Mr. Robot, season 4, episode 7.

Unbelievably good. I'm still shaken.

Edit: Seriously...this was one of the finest hours of television. Objectively, even. 

Edited by drahkon

This 4th season of Mr Robot has been incredibly good so far. Episode 6 really went to some dark places but the latest episode was, as you say @drahkon, was just amazing.

Genuinely at a loss for words about it. I loved the structure of the episode which apparently:

Spoiler

Fits with the 5 stages of grief, and each were superbly handled.

The acting was so good all around and the tension throughout as it built up to that revelation and the ending was some of the best TV I've watched all year.

I think what makes it all the more amazing is that thinking about on things throughout the earlier seasons, you can see the threads for what was revealed all along and as hard hitting as it was, having that all coalesce together in an incredible hour of tv was brilliant.

I also love the symbolism that Esmail heaps on the show.

Spoiler

The fact that Elliot comes to know the truth with Vera there, whose very name means truth itself, is a nice touch. The use of the knife from season 1 that Vera used to betray his brother. The painting in Krista's house, with the sun and moon which have been apparent through out in other episodes.

The fallout of that episode and everything that's to come have me so excited for the last 6 episodes. It's going to be pedal to the metal all the way from here by the looks of it.

There's a lot of people sleeping on Mr Robot but with season 3 being so good and season 4 managing to hit the marks it is, more people should definitely be watching.

In other tv happenings, I've been watching Silicon Valley over the last couple of weeks and I'm almost caught up for watching season 6. I thought it started strong and really liked the dynamic that Erlich brought to the house and to what was happening, especially when Jin Yang came along, and so later seasons are missing some of that a bit. That and throw everything at the wall and hoping something sticks for the story in having so many conflicts for Pied Piper was growing a bit stale. I'm hearing that's somewhat remedied so far in season 6 so hopefully the show will end on a good note. It's been good to watch but hardly the amazing thing that some have made it out to be.

I also watched through Looking for Alaska. Had no idea who John Green was and don't know the book so when I found that out just before watching I was a bit trepidatious about starting but it actually ended up being an enjoyable watch and definitely felt like a throw back show to my teenage years and things like The O.C., especially in using a lot of acoustic covers of songs that were used in that show (like Death Cab for Cutie for example). Was pleasantly surprised with it and how well acted and shot it was.

Anybody watching the Crown? I can't get over how good the guy playing Prince Phillip is. His accent and mannerisms are perfect!

HDM progressing at a good pace at the moment. They've just got to the North and introduced Lee Scourseby who so far has to be one of the best characters in the show. Lin Manuel Miranda definitely gave a good account of this character in his debut episode.

Also like how the stakes are building and it seems they aren't leaking into book 2 too much anymore to continue the story as we get into the meat of Northern Lights.

• Thanks 1

Anyone watching the Watchmen? I'm really enjoying it. The book is one of my favorites, so I am quite precious about how they would handle an expansion to the world, but you can tell they have put a lot of thought into it. Most of the ideas come off, a few don't, but I am loving how different it is and how few of my predictions are coming true. Highly recommending for fans of the books and those looking for something nothing like your usual fare. 

I want to watch it but haven't started it yet as I was waiting for more episodes to be available. I'm a bit concerned about being able to follow the show as it's been five years since I've read the book, and I learned that this show is built upon the book. Furthermore, I'd watch it with my wife who has no knowledge of anything from the book so would have to answer questions from her, making it harder for us to begin the show.

Edited by MindFreak

1 hour ago, MindFreak said:

I want to watch it but haven't started it yet as I was waiting for more episodes to be available. I'm a bit concerned about being able to follow the show as it's been five years since I've read the book, and I learned that this show is build upon the book. Furthermore, I'd watch it with my wife who has no knowledge of anything from the book so would have to answer questions from her, making it harder for us to begin the show.

Really need to have read the book. Put it in her Christmas stocking.

Wow. I just wasn’t ready for the last few episodes of Halt and Catch Fire. 

Brilliant TV. 

• Like 1

Something I've noticed when it comes to book adaptations is that there's going to be a hardcore book purist audience for every one of them that will compain if something isn't exactly like it is in the books even if in some instances the changes were made with it being on screen in mind. Seen many people really annoyed about not having a dried fish in the latest episode of HDM for example. It was still a very sad moment but the common complaint was that the whole twist is undersold on what is supposed to be a major plot twist.

Personally I'd forgotten a lot of details about that part anyway so I still thought it was a good scene.

On 12/6/2019 at 4:50 PM, GenericAperson said:

Something I've noticed when it comes to book adaptations is that there's going to be a hardcore book purist audience for every one of them that will compain if something isn't exactly like it is in the books even if in some instances the changes were made with it being on screen in mind. Seen many people really annoyed about not having a dried fish in the latest episode of HDM for example. It was still a very sad moment but the common complaint was that the whole twist is undersold on what is supposed to be a major plot twist.

Personally I'd forgotten a lot of details about that part anyway so I still thought it was a good scene.

Going to say though, the latest episode of His Dark Materials was absolutely fantastic.

If you still have misgivings about this show, it is merely building up it's characters and world throughout the episodes and this was the most action packed engaging episode so far.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm 3 episodes in, and really enjoying it. Never read the books though, so don't know how it compares.

Just watched the infamous s2e5 of Barry. 

Utterly absurd, and yet one of the finest episodes of TV I’ve ever seen. 

Just to remind those who watch it, s4 of The Expanse is now streaming on Amazon. I’m currently halfway through it, should have it finished by tomorrow. 

Thought that His Dark Materials got delayed an hour tonight because the content of the fight between the two armoured bears might be a bit graphic. But no, it was just because of Sports Personality of the Year. I guess they are going to have to off-screen some particularly violent moments to keep the age rating down which kind of made the fight feel a bit anticlimactic.The animators must have had a lot of fun with that fight scene though.

They've also made a start on the actual storyline of Book 2, so I guess that's going to be ongoing in the finale and the awkward scene jumping can end when the two main characters' end up meeting each other.

Next week is the finale to Sereis 1. I can't remember if there was a big battle between the Magisterium and Asriel at the end of book 1 or if that's been added for the TV show but I wouldn't be surprised with the latter. The cliffhanger was also very ominous...

• Thanks 1

I'm loving His Dark Materials and I'm pleased and relieved at just how faithful to the books that the series has been, so far.

There's a lot of story there, and then a fair bit of world building + all of the religious/non-religious/anti-religious messaging there, too. A large part of me was worried how they would get that across to the audience, without dumbing it down, keeping it accessible and still maintaining that feel of the books. I think that they've got the balance spot on. The casting is very much on point, too. They've chosen a terrific actress for Lyra's character, but Ruth Wilson steals each scene as Mrs Coulter. Brilliant!

Excited to see how season 2 continues this story, after next week's finale. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, GenericAperson said:

Next week is the finale to Sereis 1. I can't remember if there was a big battle between the Magisterium and Asriel at the end of book 1 or if that's been added for the TV show but I wouldn't be surprised with the latter. The cliffhanger was also very ominous...

There is no battle with Asriel in the first book. He is at a cabin in the north at the end of it.

Still haven't started this! It's absurd, I really want to but every time I ask my wife if we should see an episode she's "too tired". But she's still up for another 1.5 hours or so. But I'm glad that people are enjoying it and I look forward to watching it.