NEurope
Daft

General TV Thread

Was looking for something different to watch last night and so stuck on the first episode of HBO's Barry to watch with dinner before the missus heading off for night shift and I loved it. Didn't really know what to expect other than there was a lot of talk around it being one of the best new shows of the year so was pleasantly surprised with how good it was. Ended up picking up the rest of the season through the PlayStation store after I finished the episode because of how much I enjoyed it as it's on a Black Friday deal so nabbed it for just over a tenner. Can't wait to see more of it and how it all unfolds.

Have also been keeping up to date with The Good Place which, despite my reservations for the third season, has continued it's strong streak. I especially liked this week's episode and just how badass a certain character is (don't really want to say more than that as it'll spoil one of the highlights of the episode). Gutted that it's not back till January now though, gonna need to find something else to watch on Fridays till then.

The lack of Mr Robot this year is meaning I'm trying out different shows in the wait for that to arrive. Tempted to give Sam Esmail's other new show, Homecoming, a go as well as Forever on Amazon Prime as well. Will have to see, I'll probably just end up catching up on Vikings as I'm a season behind on that (even if I know how the fourth season ends because of people posting spoilers on Facebook).

• Like 1

There's an episode of The Good Place on December 8th but I think that'll be the last one until the last few episodes in January. 

Apparently this is the opening scene for The Nightflyers.

Looks good. Will be cancelled within 3 seasons.

Edited by Sméagol

IMDb is terrible when it comes to reviewing TV-shows as people just rate the entire show based on the first couple of episodes. So... is there a better place to view user reviews of TV-shows? I want to know if A Discovery of Witches is worth watching in its entirety.

8 hours ago, MindFreak said:

IMDb is terrible when it comes to reviewing TV-shows as people just rate the entire show based on the first couple of episodes. So... is there a better place to view user reviews of TV-shows? I want to know if A Discovery of Witches is worth watching in its entirety.

I really enjoy The AV Club's reviews as they are quite insightful and the comments section is actually positive too.  But they choose what they review and it's not being reviewed by the looks of it.  I know it doesn't answer your question for this one, but perhaps for the future.

• Like 1

Decided to rewatch season two of The Comeback on Sunday and just finished it off.  The last two episodes have such heartbreaking moments (which for an awkward comedy is unexpected). 

It also does something near the end of the final episode that when I saw it completely blew me away and it has nothing to do with the plot or anything. Won't give it away but I can remember thinking "what is going on...?" and then being blown away by what they achieved with something that should be minor but completely changes things.

Lisa Kudrow's character is one of the most interesting ones I've ever seen on screen.  They manage to make someone that could be deeply unlikely into someone endearing even though at times you want to shake her as she makes things so much worse for herself.

• Like 1

This actually looks interesting, But not sure if I want to mess around with starting and canceling (trial) subscriptions.

Edited by Sméagol

Since apparently it's on CBS all access, maybe Netflix will bring it over here in Europe.

• Like 1

God bleedin’ damnit. This is the best show on TV right now, 100% on Rotten Tomatoes as well and it won’t be renewed for a third series. Absolute tragedy.

Let’s just hope Amazon or another streaming service pick it up like they did with The Expanse.

Still, one more episode to go of s2. Just a shame that this will become yet another great show that wasn’t finished properly.

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Dog-amoto said:

God bleedin’ damnit. This is the best show on TV right now, 100% on Rotten Tomatoes as well and it won’t be renewed for a third series. Absolute tragedy.

Let’s just hope Amazon or another streaming service pick it up like they did with The Expanse.

Still, one more episode to go of s2. Just a shame that this will become yet another great show that wasn’t finished properly.

Still waiting for the blu-ray release. Is season 2 heading towards some kind of ending? I assume it's not.. Dammit. I hope Netflix picks it up.

51 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

Still waiting for the blu-ray release. Is season 2 heading towards some kind of ending? I assume it's not.. Dammit. I hope Netflix picks it up.

There’s only one episode left, and no way it could wrap up satisfactorily enough to make it a complete story. This could’ve been so popular on Netflix. Such a shame. 

• Thanks 1

Started watching The Man in the High Castle earlier in the week and though I'm not far into the first season, I'm loving what I've seen so far. It's well written and well acted and I'm just intrigued by what's to come with the rest of the story. I was browsing Waterstones the other day and saw the book on the shelves and was tempted to pick it up but I think I'll add it to the list for once I've finished the rest of the first season.

I jumped on that after having finished both The Last Kingdom and The Kominsky Method on Netflix, both of which I can't recommend enough, and glad I did. But still looking for a comedy show to slot in amongst it as I've finished a rewatch of 30 Rock (which is still fantastic, miss that show) and can't think of anything to settle on. Have heard a lot of good things about Portlandia and Silicon Valley but not sure. Guessing I'll just try them and see what sticks, which is what I'm away to try with Baskets as the trailer looked interesting but I have a feeling it won't hold up long term. Do wish both the other ones were on streaming services but sadly not.

High Castle is great. S2 is a bit wobbly but don’t let that put you off as s3 is fantastic. 

• Like 1

I've finished the 1st season of Man in the High Castle and loved it. Really looking forward to delving in further. Probably one of the best things I've watched recently.

On another note, the second season of HBO's Barry starts in a couple of weeks and I can't wait. The trailer looks fantastic and seems to suggest a natural progression of the first season. So hopefully it'll pan out well as the first season was one of my favourite shows from last year.

Adi Shankar, the guy behind the Netflix adaptation of Castlevania and who is also working on a DMC adaptation as well, has teamed up with the creator of Hyper Light Drifter to begin work on an adaptation of that game for TV.

https://www.polygon.com/tv/2019/3/28/18285664/hyper-light-drifter-tv-series-alx-preston-adi-shankar

It's still in the early stages as they're figuring out how to bring it over but given the work that went into the Castlevania adaptation, I'm sure it'll end up being solid. It's something I can see working well given the complexity of Hyper Light Drifter when you dig into the mythology of the game (there was a great video on YouTube a few years back that went into it and how people deciphered the in game language to get at the history of the world). So yeah, I'm cautiously optimistic but I know it's a way out.

15 hours ago, Kav said:

Anyone watch Line of Duty on BBC?

Yep, just so happened to be rewatching the previous series' not so long ago as well, so was more than ready for this to come back. :D

I really don't watch much of anything on TV these days but this is worth watching just as the previous series' are, I think the third season is probably the most memorable.

I didn't realise this was the fifth season already, either way... what I've seen so far from the first two episodes has been pretty decent.

It does make you wonder about how much of it is fact versus fiction though... yeah I know, "the characters depicted... etc" but the inspiration for the writing must come from somewhere.

Anyway, looking forward to the next episode on Sunday night. :smile:

Handmaid's Tale season 3 premieres on June 3rd. I hope this is the last season.

Yeah, can’t see that they could keep it going much past the inevitable uprising in s3.

Had a blast watching s2 of Cobra Kai. And pleased that it’s been renewed for a third season. Very cheesy, but that’s how it’s intended. 

This doesn't seem to have been posted: First teaser trailer for the Watchmen series starting later this year :