NEurope
Daft

General TV Thread

On 15/10/2017 at 8:25 PM, Ashley said:

I know nobody else is watching so I shall keep this relatively brief, but the last episodes of Halt and Catch Fire were on yesterday (available on Amazon Prime tomorrow) and it was such a beautiful finale, which is not a description I've used before for a TV finale but that's the best way to describe it.

The way the show went from a me-too attempt at Mad Men to something so unique, so dense in character by the time it finished four seasons later is outstanding.  The decision to shift focus to Bishé and Davies' characters in season 2 worked really well, and I'm glad that the majority of the finale was actually focused on that. 

Someone else go watch all 40 hours of it so I can talk to someone about it.

Actually I've come back because I've had more thoughts.

I guess in many ways it is one of the most personal shows I've watched.  It is ultimately about creating.  About the difficulties you face in that, about having to balance that with other commitments and desires, about the need to collaborate and connect and how that can come at the expense of your own self and your work.  It's a show that uses technology to explore humanity in such a wonderful way.  I've not seen anything else approach the creative process in such a profound and accurate manner.

I had mixed feeelings about this show when I saw season 1. I liked the realisation of the time period, and the tech, and the crazy atmosphere, but I thought though the characters had promise, they ended up a bit two-dimensional, and the show got a bit cyclical, with Joe repeatedly letting down Gordon etc. I ended up giving up very early on in season 2. Do you think it's worth persevering with?

Oh hell yes. Season 2 they shifted to Donna and Cameron and it really changed for the better. Plus it's 10 episodes a season so it's easy 😋

The characters do keep making mistakes, but that's their flaw (similar to Arrested Development in that regard) but they do grow and learn. The Joe in season four for example is completely different to him in season one. 

Has anyone been watching the new season of Mr. Robot? I got both the first and second seasons on DVD for my birthday back in May and loved every second of them so when I saw that the third season would be available through Amazon, I picked up the season pass (I would have gone for a Prime Membership but as far as I know, you can't do a month by month sub, unless that's changed since I last checked. I am tempted by one though as Sneaky Pete looks great but would need some additional recommendations before jumping in). And I'm loving this new season, it's so good. While I can understand why people think the second season went a bit too far down the rabbit hole with what was happening with Elliot (some are even saying the same about the new episodes), I did enjoy it but watching the new episodes has brought it right back up to that quality of the first season, if not surpassed it. The writing and acting has been fantastic so far, the last time a show grabbed me this much was Hannibal. The wait for new episodes is killing me though but I guess in this age of streaming services, it's to be expected but I've liked be able to sit down every Friday evening and watch it with the missus, they're certainly nothing that comes close to matching it on normal TV that's for sure.

edit: just seen that you can indeed get Amazon Prime monthly now. Hmmm... Any recommendations on it (other than American Gods as I really didn't enjoy that).

Edited by Ganepark32

4 hours ago, Ganepark32 said:

edit: just seen that you can indeed get Amazon Prime monthly now. Hmmm... Any recommendations on it (other than American Gods as I really didn't enjoy that).

The man in the high castle.

• Like 1

Started watching Inside No. 9 earlier this week as I'd heard a lot of good things about it and was curious to see what it was like. I really enjoyed what Shearsmith and Pemberton did on Psychoville, even if I never got round to watching the second series, and really like the dark humour and writing style they present so I was cautiously optimistic about watching this.

I've ended up finishing the second series late last night on Netflix and absolutely love it. So well written and so deeply dark, jumping from humorous in one episode to heavy in the next. I especially loved the episode with the homeless guy Migg and the one in the second series (second episode I think) where it jumped through the woman's life and her relationships before that twist ending. Really heavy episodes but incredibly well done.

Itching to watch the third series and catch up what with the 4th series having just started but a fantastic tv show that I'm glad I finally watched.

21 hours ago, Ganepark32 said:

Started watching Inside No. 9 earlier this week as I'd heard a lot of good things about it and was curious to see what it was like. I really enjoyed what Shearsmith and Pemberton did on Psychoville, even if I never got round to watching the second series, and really like the dark humour and writing style they present so I was cautiously optimistic about watching this.

I've ended up finishing the second series late last night on Netflix and absolutely love it. So well written and so deeply dark, jumping from humorous in one episode to heavy in the next. I especially loved the episode with the homeless guy Migg and the one in the second series (second episode I think) where it jumped through the woman's life and her relationships before that twist ending. Really heavy episodes but incredibly well done.

Itching to watch the third series and catch up what with the 4th series having just started but a fantastic tv show that I'm glad I finally watched.

It's a great show and one I only watched through for the first time recently. Had no idea what it was about and glad I kept it that way.

Watched the first two episodes of Preacher last night. I hadn't expected it to be that far out but it seems great. Will definitely watch some more of it, i.e. watch season 1 at least.

On 11/3/2017 at 8:01 PM, Sméagol said:

This is looking pretty awesome. Netflix please.

I agree bro. This looks exciting!

Realised that I’ve got a ton of tv to watch over the next few months, with new seasons of the stuff I watch out. Currently blitzing s3 of Gomorrah which is fantastic. Also enjoyed s3 of Mr. Robot, much more grounded storytelling in the style of s1 rather than the second season. 

Last season of the Americans starts next month as well as new seasons of Westworld, Hap and Leonard, Better Call Saul, Walking Dead, Sneaky Pete, Ozark, American Gods...the list goes on...think I’m actually reaching saturation point. And with loads of other shows on my watch list. Anybody else getting to this stage?

I too have fallen hopelessly behind on most of the TV shows I watch. Maybe I'll drop some of the ones where I'm several seasons behind at this point...

And when I do watch television I just end up adding new shows instead of catching up on the old ones.

I tend not to worry too much about the amount of shows I want to watch, if something grabs me from the trailer then I'll usually add it to a list that I just work through gradually. I just watched through the latest series of Fargo because it was recently added to Netflix and I'll probably start on the second series of Top Of The Lake once McMafia finishes tonight. 

I didn't realise Better Call Saul was back so soon, really enjoyed each season so far so looking forward to it. Homeland is also back soon, I think it's the last series of that too.

I agree with you dog-amoto about Mr Robot, I really disliked the majority of the second series so only watched the third one expecting it to be an entertaining but grating way to pass the time but I ended up really enjoying it. It's still a bit messy on the whole (the disrespectful reintroduction of Trenton and Mobley as story fodder was particularly irritating)  but it's capable of producing really fantastic moments and definitely has a captivating story to tell.

Looks pretty cool. A bunch of Westerosi (and a Belter) try to find another way beyond the wall.

Or, wait until I've seen it, then I'll describe it to you, scene by scene.
I kind of wish I'd done this. The next few episodes of the Tick are up. Started watching episode 7, and it just carries on? No reminder or catch up as to what happened in the first half of the season, and I've forgotten everything that's happened.

Seriously, if you're going to have a 6 month gap between episodes, have a reminder!

Best thing I’ve seen on TV in ages is Channel 4 News’ exposé on Cambridge Analytica!

Binged through the remake of One Day at a Time recently (actually watched the first few episodes ages ago).  I really enjoyed it.  It's a bit generic harmless comedy but then at times it really goes for the heart.  I enjoyed the aspects of Cuban culture (including the remix of the theme) brought into it and the fact it went into loving a country but feeling disappointed by its history.  Plus all the leads are wonderful.

Watched the first couple of episodes of Counterpart. Seems good. Will continue...

• Like 1

Ok, now most of the way in. Fuck, this is tremendous. Definitely the best tv show I’ve watched in years. J.K. Simmons is totally captivating as both versions of Howard. Story is fantastic as well, though I wasn’t sure how...

Spoiler

...the sleeper agents that have been planted managed to avoid being searched for once their visa expired. For example, Peter’s wife. It explained how she got over to the other side under a false visa but not why no flags were raised when she didn’t come back.

Unless I’m just missing something or it’s yet to be explained. 

Otherwise, a fine bit of tv that I’d recommend to anyone. 

Tonights episode of Coronation Street was a masterclass in issue led drama. As someone who has suffered with suicidal thoughts I felt a lot of parallels with the storyline over the last couple of episodes and it culminated tonight in a sensitively written and wonderfully acted hour of television. I think tonights episode is going to go down as a landmark moment in British TV history, a stark portrayal of the raw grief that suicide can bring to a community.

Yup it's that time of year.

Cancelled and then uncancelled

Brooklyn Nine-Nine

Cancelled previously and uncancelled

Last Man Standing (urgh)

Cancelled/Ending 'Naturally'

Alex Inc
Designated Survivor
Great News
Inhumans
The Last Man on Earth
Lucifer
The Middle
New Girl
Once Upon a Time
The Originals
Quantico
Scandal
Taken

Renewed

The 100
Amazing Race (@Daft)
Arrow
Big Bang (next season may be last)
Black-ish
Black Lightning
Bob's Burgers
Crazy Ex-Girlfriend (last season)
Elementary
Empire
Family Guy
The Flash
Fresh off the Boat
The Goldbergs
The Good Place
Grey's Anatomy
Hawaii Five-O
How To Get Away With Murder
iZombie (seems likely to be last)
Jane the Virgin (heavily rumoured to be last but not confirmed)
Legends of Tomorrow
Modern Family
Mom
Rick & Morty (for 70 episodes, think seasons/dates tbc)
Riverdale
Roseanne
The Simpsons
Supergirl
Supernatural (will never end...)
This Is Us
Transparent (last season)
Will & Grace (2 more seasons)
Young Sheldon

TBC (some networks just haven't announced everything yet)
Gotham
Prison Break
SHIELD
X-Files

• Thanks 1

Brooklyn 99 only got cancelled for one day! That's amazing. I was genuinely upset when I heard FOX cancelled it.

• Like 1

On 5/12/2018 at 10:14 AM, Ashley said:

Renewed

Amazing Race (@Daft)

lol, The only show that matters.