NEurope
Daft

General TV Thread

On 7/16/2017 at 0:09 PM, Fierce_LiNk said:

Has anyone here seen The Leftovers? One of @Eenuh's family members gave us the boxset for season 1 and 2 and I just loooooove it. Season 2 in particular is incredible. Any other fans here?

Yes, I loved! It's an amazing show with a beautiful soundtrack. I've finished the show now and loved it from beginning to end. Nora rules. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, somme said:

Yes, I loved! It's an amazing show with a beautiful soundtrack. I've finished the show now and loved it from beginning to end. Nora rules. 

We've just started season 3.

Spoiler

I loved the interpretation of "limbo" in season 2. The scene were Kevin has to sing Homeward Bound was just brilliant. In fact, season 2 has been some of the best tv that I've ever seen.

• Like 1

Have any of you seen Casual? I just finished the third season and I still think this is a very good show. The humour is quite alright but more importantly, the characters are likeable to a large extend, and the pacing is nice. 

On 8/1/2017 at 11:26 AM, Fierce_LiNk said:

We've just started season 3.

Spoilers (Reveal hidden contents)

I loved the interpretation of "limbo" in season 2. The scene were Kevin has to sing Homeward Bound was just brilliant. In fact, season 2 has been some of the best tv that I've ever seen.

Let me know what you think of the very end. I thought it was a perfect end myself.

5 minutes ago, somme said:

Let me know what you think of the very end. I thought it was a perfect end myself.

We finished the show a few days ago:

Spoiler

I thought that the last two or three episodes were fantastic. Excellent ending and finally we have one huge answered about "where did they go?" There seemed to be a lot of closure in the finale.

I think Season Two was the strongest of the lot. Season Three featured a lot of red herrings, particularly with the talk about the rain dances, song, the big flood coming, Kevin Senior's whole adventure, Matt's realisation about God, etc. The show led us down the religion path and then quickly veered back to the science route right at the very end.

One theory I have about why it happened is that science is to blame here. Somehow, an experiment or some phenomenon caused the world to split into two separate universes, with the cast in one universe and the departed in their own. Through science, Nora was able to cross between worlds. So, through science, we've finally got some answers. Maybe this phenomenon also created the "limbo" that Kevin was able to access, too? Who knows.

I thought it was a perfect ending. It answered questions, but left you with room there for more if you wanted it. But, at last, closure.

6 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

We finished the show a few days ago:

Spoilers (Hide contents)

I thought that the last two or three episodes were fantastic. Excellent ending and finally we have one huge answered about "where did they go?" There seemed to be a lot of closure in the finale.

I think Season Two was the strongest of the lot. Season Three featured a lot of red herrings, particularly with the talk about the rain dances, song, the big flood coming, Kevin Senior's whole adventure, Matt's realisation about God, etc. The show led us down the religion path and then quickly veered back to the science route right at the very end.

One theory I have about why it happened is that science is to blame here. Somehow, an experiment or some phenomenon caused the world to split into two separate universes, with the cast in one universe and the departed in their own. Through science, Nora was able to cross between worlds. So, through science, we've finally got some answers. Maybe this phenomenon also created the "limbo" that Kevin was able to access, too? Who knows.

I thought it was a perfect ending. It answered questions, but left you with room there for more if you wanted it. But, at last, closure.

Spoiler

I take it from your post that you believe Nora then? 

I did at first and then, as I thought back on how she acted throughout her life (as we saw it anyway), she was probably lying. I think she knew she'd never really had closure but she had to give herself some, especially if she wanted an unburdened relationship with Kevin. 

As to what happened to those that left? We'll never know for sure, unless you believe Nora's story. But yeah I love that the show gave you the choice. And I loved the science vs. faith themes running through the show. I wanted to believe Kevin was really going somewhere else, but I knew deep down there was no magic, no other-world. It all had an explanation.

Edited by somme

2 minutes ago, somme said:
  Season 3 Ending (Hide contents)

I take it from your post that you believe Nora then? 

I did at first and then, as I thought back on how she acted throughout her life (as we saw it anyway), she was probably lying. I think she knew she'd never really had closure but she had to give herself some, especially if she wanted an unburdened relationship with Kevin. 

As to what happened to those that left? We'll never know for sure, unless you believe Nora's story. But yeah I love that the show gave you the choice. And I loved the science vs. faith themes running through the show. I wanted to believe Kevin was really going somewhere else, but I knew deep down there was no magic, no other-world. It all had an explanation.

Spoiler

Yeah, I believe Nora's story. What's the alternative? That she, Laurie and Kevin all died and that they are in the afterlife right now?

Nora was in the machine and something has to happen. Either the machine worked and she transported to the other place, or she dies. She's not escaping from there. 

The conversation at the very end shows that they were finally able to talk to each other and be honest. Either what Nora is saying is true, or they are in some kind of alternate universe/afterlife at that moment.

9 hours ago, Fierce_LiNk said:
  Spoilers (Hide contents)

Yeah, I believe Nora's story. What's the alternative? That she, Laurie and Kevin all died and that they are in the afterlife right now?

Nora was in the machine and something has to happen. Either the machine worked and she transported to the other place, or she dies. She's not escaping from there. 

The conversation at the very end shows that they were finally able to talk to each other and be honest. Either what Nora is saying is true, or they are in some kind of alternate universe/afterlife at that moment.

Spoiler

Or she got out of the machine. 

If you rewatch that scene carefully, just as the water is about to rise and cover her face she goes to scream, she goes to say, "stop." But the scene cuts just before we hear her. 

I don't think she went through. I think she chickened out. Either she wanted to stay broken or she wasn't strong enough. Either way, I want to believe her. I just don't think I can. 

Netflix just brought MillarWorld. No idea If they are making a TV show or film out. Would be amazing to see Wanted get a sequel or a reboot or adapted into a TV show  

9 hours ago, somme said:
  Season 3 (Reveal hidden contents)

Or she got out of the machine. 

If you rewatch that scene carefully, just as the water is about to rise and cover her face she goes to scream, she goes to say, "stop." But the scene cuts just before we hear her. 

I don't think she went through. I think she chickened out. Either she wanted to stay broken or she wasn't strong enough. Either way, I want to believe her. I just don't think I can. 

Spoiler

I don't buy that at all. I actually do think this is one of those rare occasions where we finally get some closure and some answers. At the point where the fluid was, there's no time for them to hear her response, react, shut the thing down and get to her without drowning. She's clearly taking a deep breath in that scene before the fluid engulfs her. 

15 hours ago, Fierce_LiNk said:
  Spoiler (Hide contents)

I don't buy that at all. I actually do think this is one of those rare occasions where we finally get some closure and some answers. At the point where the fluid was, there's no time for them to hear her response, react, shut the thing down and get to her without drowning. She's clearly taking a deep breath in that scene before the fluid engulfs her. 

Spoiler

Well, that's why I love the show. Both answers can't be right but you can choose your own end or explanation. 

Found a great quote in an online article, which seems to agree with me, but also says:

If you're the kind of person who needs concrete answers to the show's central mysteries, then it certainly seems like the finale provided them. And if you're the kind of person who prefers to "let the mystery be" (as the Season 2 theme song goes... ), then there's plenty of ambiguity left as the credits roll on the final episode. It may be impossible to please everyone in a series finale — but it certainly seems like The Leftovers might have come close.

https://www.bustle.com/p/did-nora-go-through-the-device-on-the-leftovers-she-certainly-has-incredible-story-61516

If we had seen any of her story, rather than just hear her talk about it, I would believe it. But we only have her word and Nora was never really one to tell the truth. 

Edited by somme

First two episodes of Halt and Catch Fire season four managed to be riveting even though it was mostly just conversations about search engines (hell two characters in the second episode just spent the whole time on the phone to each other).  Plus the 90s shout outs (Mario Kart, Mortal Kombat, Hole) were fun.

And the fact it started with an 8 minute tracking shot that covered several years was just 👍.  

Really excited to see where they go with this in the last season (available the day after US airings on Amazon Prime, just saying).

3 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Yes but this was about building one in a pre-Google world ;)

*pre-Bing.

Edited by Magnus

1 hour ago, Magnus said:

*pre-Bing.

Methinks Magnus is a very Pro-Bing kind of person.

Well, whatever turns you on.

Anyway...I'm going to keep praising it a bit more and ignore Magnus.

I think my favourite thing is the realness about creativity.  The passion for it, the thrill of it and the utter crushingness of it.  It shows people actually creating something and suffering from it (because it doesn't work out, or they miss the window, or it affects your personal life in a negative way).  Plus the importance of collaborating and the weaknesses that exposes in you as you rely on others.  It's unlike anything I've seen before in terms of representing creative work.

Plus the intro is rad as fuck.

OK sheeple! I want to get into a new TV series, one with solid writing and direction. I don't want any of that House of Cards bullcrap because that's gotten ridiculous. No shitty 13 Reasons Why style recommendations either as that is PISS POOR. I want some fucking lit TV, OK?! Is that too much to ask? NO, NOT HANNIBAL, YOU TWAT. OR TRUE DETECTIVE FOR THAT MATTER.

Bear in mind my favourite TV series are these (approx in order):

The Wire

Mad Men

Breaking Bad

This is England (‘86, ‘88 & '90) 

The Singing Detective

Stranger Things

Band of Brothers

Game of Thrones

Game of Thrones is not the kind of thing I'm looking for, but fuck me it's entertaining af so that's why it's on the list. Hit me you fuckers.

I have been trying to get into Twin Peaks but I'll come back to that at some point.

Edited by dwarf

Not sure what shows you have or haven't seen, so apologies in advance if my recommendations are rather obvious ones. Off the top of my head...

Narcos - for something contemporary. Third season just came out on Netflix. I really enjoyed the first two seasons, would only say that because it is somewhat rooted in reality that the drama and character elements aren't quite as strong as other dramas, but the story is gripping and it is very well produced.

The Sopranos - in case you haven't watched it. At its best, it's up there with the best (although in my opinion it starts to fall away around season 5). Deadwood is another solid HBO drama (got cancelled after only a few seasons however).

The Pacific - again, in case you haven't watched it (not as good as Band of Brothers though).

Haven't watched it, but heard decent things about Westworld.

I would highly recommend the UK version of House of Cards, if you like shows about UK politics (speaking of which, I love The Thick of It, another must-watch). Three series of four episodes, no guff or filler like the US version. The lead actor is better than Kevin Spacey in my humble opinion. 

I also thought season 1 of True Detective was fantastic. Haven't seen season 2 because it was getting duff reviews.

You've reminded me that I need to get round to watching This Is England at some point!

• Like 1

@Zell

Oh yeah, I love The Thick of It too, but didn't include any comedy series because I've got a drama itch to scratch.

I'm sure True Detective is good, I just couldn't handle another detective series after Hannibal left a sour taste in my mouth (plus Matthew McConaughey gets on my nerves).

I watched one or two episodes of Sopranos and enjoyed what I saw, but it was too heavy for me at the time. Not sure I'm quite in the mood for it atm.

The Pacific I'll definitely watch at some point.

Not sold on Narcos after watching the trailer for season 1 unfortunately.

You didn't mention it, but Boardwalk Empire was another one that I could not be arsed with. 

Edited by dwarf
  • Like 1

@drahkon Westworld trailer looks aight. Will potentially give it a go.

@Sméagol Not feeling it (based on trailer)

Edited by dwarf
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, dwarf said:

@drahkon Westworld trailer looks aight. Will potentially give it a go.

@Sméagol Not feeling it

That's alright, but it seems to appeal to Game of thrones fans as well. I don't watch many shows anymore, but this is my favourite after Game of thrones. True detective, to name an example that's mentioned, did absolutely nothing for me. Westworld is one I'm interested in, but have yet to see.

You could also try Les revenants if you don't mind something in French.

Freaks & Geeks is an old favourite of mine, but it's cancelled after 14 episodes. Lots of familiar faces though.

1 hour ago, dwarf said:

OK sheeple! I want to get into a new TV series, one with solid writing and direction. I don't want any of that House of Cards bullcrap because that's gotten ridiculous. No shitty 13 Reasons Why style recommendations either as that is PISS POOR. I want some fucking lit TV, OK?! Is that too much to ask? NO, NOT HANNIBAL, YOU TWAT. OR TRUE DETECTIVE FOR THAT MATTER.

Bear in mind my favourite TV series are these (approx in order):

The Wire

Mad Men

Breaking Bad

This is England (‘86, ‘88 & '90) 

The Singing Detective

Stranger Things

Band of Brothers

Game of Thrones

Game of Thrones is not the kind of thing I'm looking for, but fuck me it's entertaining af so that's why it's on the list. Hit me you fuckers.

I have been trying to get into Twin Peaks but I'll come back to that at some point.

I'll just point you to my post right above yours...