NEurope
Beast

Religions

Without anybody saying "My religion is better than yours" or anything like that, what religion are you and how serious are you about it? Would you go so far to actually preach about it?

The reason I ask this is because I'm an athiest and I've had a couple of people approach me, asking if I would like to let Jesus Christ into my life and things like that and I tend to think that, if somebody wanted to turn to that kind of belief, they would do it on their own, right?

I did have somebody who was a Muslim that brought up the subject and they couldn't get to grips that I wasn't Muslim. She just kept on arguing and arguing until I simply ended it with a rhetorical question: I respect that you are a Muslim, why can't you respect that I'm not religious? I'm sure she was probably trying to help me but it just didn't at all.

I don't mind talking about religion and such but I don't like it when it feels like people are forcing their religion on you. It's like me forcing them not to believe or something.

I don't know, I may be overreacting a little but still, have you had any experiences like this? Do you think the same as I do or completely different and how? What religion are you and are you serious about it?

I'm atheist and strongly in support of secularism. I have nothing against people being religious, but I can't take people using religious arguments for anything but religious discussions; the religious opposition to the legalisation of gay marriage is a great example. Millennia old dogma - or any kind of dogma, for that matter - is no basis for rational debate.

Edited by Dannyboy-the-Dane

I don't discuss this any more really, if you've been on the internet a while you've seen it all before. Doesn't feel like an intellectual debate since one side of the argument is so profoundly stupid.

I'm agnostic, and I despise organised religion. I find it idiotic that people would base their entire life and belief system around ridiculous, archaic, hypocritical literature, and support organisations that cause so much trouble, such as the catholic church covering up paedophile priests, and allowing them to continue in their position, acting above the law, not to mention the countless wars that religion has not only caused, but the church has actually sanctioned, over the past millennia.

I'm all for spirituality and faith, I'm inclined to believe in some form of higher power myself, but I do not agree with organised religions gaining so much support, and influencing (and in many cases dictating) government and law.

As a side note I find many atheists to be as, if not more, ignorant, arrogant and close minded as religious zealots.

atheists get on my nerves.. Probably more than religious preachers. I guess it's more the arsehole attitude some people have when it comes to religion, regardless of which religion it is.

And yes this is a very very tired argument....

I'm in the "couldn't give a shit about it" category.

Moogle pretty much summed up my views towards the main religions.

I wouldn't say I strongly believed in a god or greater power, however I'm still undecided in my beliefs. As a student of biology I find it hard to believe that there's a higher being playing a role in ours and everything else's life. I do like to believe in something after we die however, which to me doesn't have to involve religion at all.

I also agree on moogles comment about arrogant atheists. From my experience I've never been in contact with any religious person trying to preach/convert me, however I have had experiences with atheists. One of my close mates is an atheist and he is beyond patronising when it comes to this topic. He tries to explain the lack of god by spouting physics "facts" that he obviously doesn't understand himself, it's pathetic. It reminds me of those kids that goes around telling all the other kids that Santa isn't real just for the kicks without any open mindedness/respect for other people's believes. If anything he was pushing his non-religousness on me.

Well, I consider myself Church of England as that's my background; that's what I have an affinity with. I love C of E churches - they give me a good feeling that is not just religious, but linked to culture and heritage. Also, the values associated with Jesus and the New Testament have shaped so much of European society - it's what we are. Someone who betrays you is a "Judas". "Crucify" is the carrying-out of a terrible and cruel execution. A "Good Samaritan" is someone who helps out a stranger in need (something we could do with a heck of a lot more). Even if you don't believe any of the supernatural side, it has shaped our culture so much.

atheists get on my nerves.. Probably more than religious preachers. I guess it's more the arsehole attitude some people have when it comes to religion, regardless of which religion it is.

And yes this is a very very tired argument....

I'm in the "couldn't give a shit about it" category.

This. I used to follow to Ricky Gervais on Twitter, but he tweets more about religion than the bloody Pope!! I think it's ironic he goes on about religion so much, and then in turn abuses the public platform he's acquired through comedy, to preach about atheism.

I don't like outspoken people of faiths begin awkward and forcing it onto other people, but I don't like outspoken atheists who think they're superior and get very smug about it either.

I subscribe to no religion but I am very spiritual; I have my own faith and don't feel dogma is for me... but maybe it works for some people.

Edit, suppose I should add I've had interests and read much material on Eastern spiritual wisdom and philosophy.

Edited by madeinbeats

I know what people mean with the athiest stuff. I'm athiest and I've come across that kind of behaviour. As I said though, I respect that they follow their religion so they should respect that I don't. Me and my mate were talking and he told me about a guy approaching him in the street asking him if he saw Jesus Christ and if he would let His light into his heart and stuff. He told me it was weird and the stranger wouldn't leave him alone. I've had this before but not to the extreme that they follow you and hound you though, I don't think that's right at all.

I don't mean to start the whole "this religion's better", "that religion is more truthful" or even "any religion is stupid" and I don't exactly mean to start debates or owt but I'm just genuinely interested to see people's different religions and beliefs and just how strong they are or how serious they are.

I'm not serious about being an athiest, I like learning about different religions and cultures and stuff, it interests me (hence this thread) but I just hate having religion forced in my face and being told I must believe and stuff like that.

I'm a nihilistic atheist. I tend to ignore what religious people do, but when their beliefs get in the way of anything in my life, then I have no problem getting on their case about it, and can do so heavily. I think religion is getting in the way of development, creating barriers between people and supporting discrimination, and so I would like it if it didn't exist. I will question everything religious people say to me that is in anyway religion-related, which also applies to superstitions.

I was raised catholic and am grateful for that but I would consider myself agnostic. I tend to try avoid thinking about God / the afterlife in general as it ends up with me unable to sleep or suffering a horrible panic attack. I remember being disturbed for 3 months straight thinking about death a few years ago.

I'm also quite spiritual & believe there exists a "force" somewhere. I could ramble for hours.

I like having been catholic because it's exciting to break rules.

I never understood the "higher power" thing. People always say, "I believe in something bigger than myself. A higher power. A force." What does that mean? Because it obviously isn't literal.

I'm not sure. I can see why you're confused by it, heck - so am I! I just get this feeling that we aren't completely alone, that there's a great change of state after death (more than just ceasing to exist).

I can't explain what'll happen, I'm completely clueless but, every now and then, I get this weird feeling that there's "something" there. Arrrrggggh, why can't I express myself

I believe there is something bigger than myself too. The sun. I believe that there is a force that brings everything together. Gravity. I still don't understand what you're getting at. And especially, I don't understand why it matters. Does the existence of a "higher power" affect any of your decisions?

I suppose I'm agnostic. I don't really care enough about belief to specifically say that "I believe that there is absolutely no kind of higher power", but I don't believe in one either. I've also stopped calling myself atheist - that seems to essentially becoming a religion of its own and in many ways is no better.

Religion was great in the past - it led to the foundation of laws and much of our society. These days it just seems to hamper out progress, which is something that really annoys me about religion.

For the most part, I accept people who believe in other religions, and I hope that most of them would accept people who don't follow a religion or a different religion. However, I absolutely hate it when they use stuff in their texts to try and halt our development - especially when done in a selective way as it often is.

Well, I've done my share of atheist ranting here and there, and I'm just tired of the whole debating...my problem is that the ideologies make little sense at all, yet they're being used to justify all kinds of repression and shaming of even little children. This gets me incredibly mad and sad at the same time, hence the tendency to spout rather harsh words about these matters...Yet, the other side of the coin are the people themselves: most religious / spiritual people I know are rather nice and likeable, I have no problem with them per se. Thus the contradiction...

Religion isn't for me sorry.

My Mum's a Christian, My dad's a Muslim...So I guess that makes me a Christ-Mus. Could explain why I love Christmas so much. :p

But no...Religion really isn't for me, Yeah I love Christmas, but not due to the reason behind it, just for the jollyness of it all, the fact my family all come over on boxing day for drinks and all the food. No religious reason for me to celebrate it.

I'd love to do an experiment where for one generation, no parents were allowed to preach their religion onto their kids. And the kids were allowed to develop their own beliefs without being taught it from someone else.

I bet they'd come up with some crazy-ass shit.

I believe there is something bigger than myself too. The sun. I believe that there is a force that brings everything together. Gravity.

My current understanding is that the Bible is for the most part the encoded science of astrology, with Jesus representing the Sun.

I was raised Christian, but as I got older I soon found what I had been taught just didn't add up.

I guess now I'd be considered an athiest but I don't like the labels because I am still interested in spirituality and consciousness, and enjoy trying to figure all these religions out.

Whilst something like the Bible shouldn't be taken literally imo, I do think it is an interesting text worthy of studying and understanding.

But no...Religion really isn't for me, Yeah I love Christmas, but not due to the reason behind it

Christmas is pretty much a tradition in some countries now. Over here, it's probably more tradition than religion.

Nothing against spiritual people people but religion has been holding us back as a race for far too long.

I do think if religion wasn't there to control us something else just as bad would however.

I've never really experienced any pushy preachers. A lot of people complain about Jehova's Witnesses, but (in my limited experience) I've found them to be reasonable. Admittedly the first time they knocked on the door I answered dripping wet wearing nothing but a towel, and the second time wearing only my boxers, both which prompted responses of, "oh... I can see that you're busy". For some reason they haven't been back since.

I also agree on moogles comment about arrogant atheists. From my experience I've never been in contact with any religious person trying to preach/convert me, however I have had experiences with atheists. One of my close mates is an atheist and he is beyond patronising when it comes to this topic. He tries to explain the lack of god by spouting physics "facts" that he obviously doesn't understand himself, it's pathetic.

I hate this as well. When atheists use it as a badge of honour, and act like it makes them intelligent and an expert on science. Surely the default position of science is "we don't know", ergo agnosticism.

Yeah I love Christmas, but not due to the reason behind it,

You've got a problem with the winter solstice?