NEurope
MoogleViper

Electric Shavers: Rotary or Foil?

For the past 5 years I've generally has some sort of goatee/beard, or more recently, let it grow into a beard but shave it off every few days when it starts to get itchy. So I've always used my beard trimmer. However now I'm looking for a job I'm wanting something that will shave a bit better (and something that I can plug into the wall, so it doesn't run out of charge halfway through and leave me with a quarter of a beard left.

I hate razors, so I'm thinking of electric. I don't know whether to get rotary of foil (hence the title). I've never used rotary and the only experience I have with foil is the foil head for my beard trimmer. I found it to be ineffective, leaving me with patchy bits of bare skin, and takes ages to use. However I'm aware that it's not the best example.

So, what do you use and why? Which is better? Does one suit one person and one another? Is it just personal preference?

Help me men.

My preference is manual blades, they give me a smoother feel but yet are expensive. Rotary gives a similar feel in my opinion, and that is what i recommend in the 2 choices you gave above.

Having a beard myself, once the itchy phase has passed you can't feel it. The worst part of beard growing is the itchy phase.

I just have a beard trimmer and then use a razor. Right now, I have a goatee and I just go over it with a beard trimmer. I have to shave it every few days so it's no bother. Rotary would be better if you're going to have an electric shaver though, I'd say.

I always use a manual razor these days. I tried a rotary but it made my skin feel like crap and it's not even that clean o' shave. I used to dread using a manual razor as I'd rip half the skin off my neck with it. However recently I've invested In fancy sandlewood shave soap and brush (which makes me feel like I'm a proper Victorian gent who's loaded) and only shave after I've been in the shower/bath. Sexy smooth and no razor burn.

I can't speak for foil shavers. Might be a punt though :)

I've used an electric foil razor for years and would recommend it.

I would recommend this one:

babyliss-for-men-i---trim-stubble--nRvn.jpg

I already have a beard trimmer for my pubes, I need something for my face.

I seldom use electric shavers, but when I do it's rotary. I just find that electric ones don't do as good a job as shaving with say a Gilette Fusion

Well I don't like the feeling of really clean shaven, so as long as it looks presentable, and isn't patchy, I don't mind it not being perfectly close to the skin.

Use a machete, like a real man.

Don't own one, but will try with both my katana and Sting replica (and hunting knife).

When my foil one was broken I had to resort to a normal razor (Gillete) for a short time. Felt I got about the same results with it. My dad had a rotary (Philips) for a few years and went back to foil (Braun). Apparently the shave is smoother.

That being said I think you need to get a pretty good electric razor to rival a normal one.

Use a normal razor so that your girlfriend can borrow it to shave her legs sometimes! :D

/unhelpful

Women are gross.

Braun does my face like no other I have tried. Have had two Philips for 8-9 years total, and one Panasonic for 2-3 (model ES7xxx something), but Braun is best. My Braun is a four year old model 9595, the most expensive model at the time, but incredibly good!

(When you say 'foil', I assume you are talking about the Braun/Panasonic type of design, with knives moving back and forth.)

I tried an electric shaver once, I believe it was a rotary one. It simply wasn't a good enough shave. A manual razor really gets close and has been a better choice.

I like my rotary (Philips) razor, though take that with two pinches of salt:

- I have very pale facial hair so even when I can feel stubble it can't be seen.

- When the battery is low it effectively becomes an epilator. A facial epilator. Not fun. :nono:

I like my rotary (Philips) razor, though take that with two pinches of salt:

- I have very pale facial hair so even when I can feel stubble it can't be seen.

- When the battery is low it effectively becomes an epilator. A facial epilator. Not fun. :nono:

Thats another issue with battery-powered razors. But at least my beard trimmer is rechargable.

Thats another issue with battery-powered razors. But at least my beard trimmer is rechargable.

My razor is too, but if, say, I've forgotten to charge it and not taken the charger on a single night away from home but need a shave, pain is in store.

My razor is too, but if, say, I've forgotten to charge it and not taken the charger on a single night away from home but need a shave, pain is in store.

Indeed, should shave like a real man.

real-men-real-men-demotivational-poster-1221782347.jpg

I would recommend this one:

babyliss-for-men-i---trim-stubble--nRvn.jpg

I bought one of those years ago in a veiled attempt to kid myself on that I actually had a used for it. Turns out I do, but not on my face.

Shaving with a razor is the way forward, you get a far better shave than using rotary or foil.