NEurope
jayseven

Hall of Fame Board Announcement and Nominations

I'm sure some of you will remember this archiving N-E thread from nearly a year ago. With the hard work and unasked efforts of @Shorty and @Ashley, having to 'downsize' the forum has ceased to be an issue.

However, the idea of having a read-only board of great moments of N-E's past is still something that's going ahead.

Much like last year's thread, the idea is for you to ensure we do not overlook any great threads. The threads suggested in the previous thread will be considered nominated automatically.

Here are some guidelines;

• The HoF will be read-only, so nominating ongoing threads will not be a sensible suggestion
  • Think of anything epic, monumental, pivotal, memorable or indeed strongly significant in N-E's timeline, both as a site and as a community
  • Feel free to link to individual posts, however it is the thread as a whole that will be considered, not just the merits of one sole post
  • These are still nominations, and a thread is not guarenteed HoF just because it appears in this thread
  • Your reasons for nominating will help some borderline cases
  • Suggestions from any board and any user are welcome

Once the HoF has been initiated, there will exist ongoing Nomination threads, stickied, so that further additions may be made.

I would advise that people use the forum search, or go via your own user profile page's find all threads started by this user.

Any questions or comments are welcome! You will find a thread similar to this in various boards, but you don't have to repeat yourself as they will all be checked.

Cheers!

Edited by jayseven

I'm sure they would've been mentioned in the previous thread but the N-E Meet threads and N-E Awards (results) threads should be in the HoF.

I am currently too lazy to look for the threads at the moment (and as I said, they're probably already covered) but I'm happy to do it later on at some point.

I also think The Gentlemen's Mafia by @Jonnas should be in the hall of fame. It represents a turning point in mafia games, for me at least. It'd be nice to think that some non-mafia players might give it a read.

Those threads you mention are all definitely going in :)

ith the mafia games it'd be great to get a handful of the seminal games to go in - I agree gentleman's mafia was a landmark moment - similarly (if it can be tracked down) I'd like to suggest that Chairdriver's first game makes the cut, seeing as it is down to him that we've had members even joining the forum just to play these games.

I would suggest the first two mafias. The second mafia was so exciting, it's what launched the game into popularity.

Would particularly amusing threads like "King V's virginity" thread count?

King V's thread is a classic -definitely making the G-mark.

I'm in a spot of power where I believe some of my own threads deserve the ticket. if others feel theirs do as well then let it be known to your trusted MP/mod/admin/Danlovesllamas.

I'm not sure there needed to be three (or four?) of these threads....it's a bit confusing. Good idea though!

Edited by 130131301364

King V's thread is a classic -definitely making the G-mark.

I'm in a spot of power where I believe some of my own threads deserve the ticket. if others feel theirs do as well then let it be known to your trusted MP/mod/admin/Danlovesllamas.

Yes. This needs to be in the Hall of Fame. The dude is a legend!

What about some of the classic arguments N-E has had? Like when people are here, some people would say "Rokhed?" and nobody would get it. Also, the Dynastygirl argument is pretty much a classic too. OH! And Cycling Road! That has to be in there!

I also think The Gentlemen's Mafia by @Jonnas should be in the hall of fame. It represents a turning point in mafia games, for me at least. It'd be nice to think that some non-mafia players might give it a read.

Just clicking the link shows there are 70 pages to that thread. By that length alone I understand one way it can go into the Hall of Fame. But, are there any specific pages/moments you could hint at which shows this turning point?

It was the first game I'd played with such a rich storyline and characters, not only that but it was the first time we saw the epic-style write-ups from Jonnas.

The gameplay itself was somehow more involving and the altercations between players were really good. It's basically an example of how good a mafia can be when you have the balance, plot/theme and activity just right.

Just clicking the link shows there are 70 pages to that thread. By that length alone I understand one way it can go into the Hall of Fame. But, are there any specific pages/moments you could hint at which shows this turning point?

I'd guess highlights include:

-Memorable write-ups (with music);

-Everything big in plot and flavour, including roles and PMs (Nintendohnut theorised at one point that the Princess was evil purely because of the plot);

-Diageo's aggressive playing style;

-ReZ becoming catatonic for editing a post;

-Zell used a kitty picture as a hostage. ReZ adopted the kitty;

-Lots of suspicion behind a smiling butler, leading to people wondering if it was because of his investigation or sexual favours;

-"I gave Dohnut some pills" "He did not!" "Did too!" "Did not!" "Did too!", etc.

Basically, the flavour kickstarted conversations and the ambiguousness of results fed the discussions, leading to more write-ups, leading to more discussions. The back-and-forth was the meat of the game, really.

Exactly. It's the prime example of flavour done to perfection. I can't recall any other games where the flavour was so relevant to the game, and that reflected in people's playing. There was a great story with great characters and even mysteries to boot, and that engaged people. We weren't just playing to win, we were playing to see the story unfold - our story. And that engagement in turn helped shape the story and make it even more memorable.

The second Gentlemen's Mafia deserves just as big a mention as the first since it did everything that made the first great and built on top of it by creating a strong continuity. My role from the first, a simple neutral who managed to stay alive after the mafia had been lynched and escape at the end, became the main villain, and both old and new characters came together in a game that expanded a now well-established universe. In this way it was the perfect sequel, and just like the first it felt truly epic.

I've just realised I'd forgotten how much I fucking loved those games.

I'm not sure there needed to be three (or four?) of these threads....it's a bit confusing. Good idea though!

This was just to ensure that people from different boards were exposed to it. I'm certain that 99% of suggestions/threads will be from GCC and its subboards but we have members who never stray far from the nintendo board and it's important that they at least see the idea of HoF, even if they're not interested.

Yes. This needs to be in the Hall of Fame. The dude is a legend!

What about some of the classic arguments N-E has had? Like when people are here, some people would say "Rokhed?" and nobody would get it. Also, the Dynastygirl argument is pretty much a classic too. OH! And Cycling Road! That has to be in there!

Personally I would be happy to see the dynastygal thread purge into the abyss... Fo' sho.

For me, I'd like to see The Gentlemen's Mafia II in there as well. I have loads of great memories of that game: The awesome story, the awesome players, me and Rummy working as a team and trying to hide it whilst kind of hinting and working out who was Mafia, etc. Also, it was my first game that I won as well.

Jonnas, when are you going to make Gentlemen's a trilogy?!?!

I concur! Comedy Rainbow is ambitious, amazing, sexy fluff.

I also nominate the final Pokemafia.

And slam another vote on Gents.

I don't think it was emphasised enough, but you need to provide the link to the thread you're nominating, too!