NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
jayseven

Reddit.

I know some of y'all go there; either you've told me, you're the reason I know the site exists, or you post the shit you've stolen from there.

I also shudder because some of you go to that "twodaylater" website. Also known as 9gag.

Anyway - not going to ask you to reveal usernames or anything. Just wondering if any of you can recommend some subreddits - and also have any of you ever made a frontpage?

I posted a picture to funny (OC!) and got like 350 link karma. I took a photo and said to someone "heh this is kinda cool." Two days later someone else took a picture of an onion with green shoots growing out of it and a face drawn on it, which made the front page of /r/mildlyinteresting.

STEALTHEDIT: I have a thread currently #24 on one of the default reddits. I hereby claim FRONT PAAAAGE!

The only subreddit I have any experience with is the Men's one, and even then it's only from people mocking the idiots who post there. So much sexism!

It's kind of put me off Reddit as a whole, though. Well, that and the horrible layout.

Anything that's genuinely funny and/or interesting tends to trickle down to Facebook/N-E after a while, anyway.

9GAG is a hellhole filled with old, stolen content and broken English, so I agree with you there. :p

I was the same as you in regards to the layout - totally put me off at first. Then Shorty told me about RES -- Reddit Enhancement Suite. Two elements are super-cool about it; firstly, neverending reddit, so you don't have to click to see the next page it just loads automatically when you've scrolled far enough. Secondly, show all pictures tab at the top, giving you quick access to all the funny/pics/gifs you can handle.

I'm coming up to my cakeday and I'm very much just a lurker with the occasional post, but it's just such a hipster-enabler for so much information it's untrue.

I mainly follow ones for games and TV shows.

I also reached 500 link karma the other day.

That's pretty generous calling 9gag the "twodayslater" website, to me it seems to be more along the lines of "4yearslater".

That's pretty generous calling 9gag the "twodayslater" website, to me it seems to be more along the lines of "4yearslater".

Surely that would only matter if you read both.

If you only read 9gag, it's just 'today'.

Surely that would only matter if you read both.

If you only read 9gag, it's just 'today'.

A lot of my friends are avid 9gag goers and it's surprising just how many of the 'latest memes' I have stashed in my hectic pictures folder from 2009 and beyond.

It's amazing what internet meme culture has become. What once used to be a massive pool of original content that was published anonymously and actually relevant to the conversation it was posted in, has now become some what of a cash cow for money and internet fame. Most of the work people put into them in the old days (which still happens, just not as frequently), is now mainly dominated by internet meme generators.

This rant comes off slightly as being slightly bias and looking back in the past with rose tinted glasses, but I do think there's an element of truth in that rant. I think this video is the closest to what I'm trying to express:

I think the reason why 9gag appeals more that Reddit currently, is ease of use. I'm not about to search through 300 subreddits looking for my funnies. I just want a neverending amount of funny pictures to scroll through.

Reddit just seems like a massive mess of links, which you have to click through to view.

I'm open to a conversion though, as i'll agree most of the stuff on 9gag is pretty terrible.

If you install Reddit Enhancement Suite for your browser, then you can click a button and it'll load a never-ending stream of pictures.

As you slowly add subreddits, it'll become more and more stuff that you find interesting (there will still be other stuff that makes the front page). The comments and discussions are also better. One thing you'll find is that in most subreddits, rage comics (which are massively overused and must count for 90% of 9gag) are banned, and a lot (like ones for TV shows) ban generic memes, too, allowing for much more original content - the subreddits also usually have a link to where stuff like that is allowed if you want them.

You'll also slowly find that the links are great for interesting news and the like and can be better than just funny pictures.

Apart from the obvious ones of /r/funny and /r/reactiongifs I like a lot of the 'ask' ones.

Askagirl

Askmen

Seduction and askseddit are good too but I know a lot of you guys will sniff at that.

I like entrepreneur/startups/smallbusiness too. There's quite often some good discussion in there. I go on a lot of marketing/seo subreddits too. Lots of discussion and interesting links.

I've been Reddit pretty excessively for the past year or so, but largely only as a lurker outside of r/linguistics. And I just checked, and it turns out my first cake day was 15 days ago and I missed it. :heh:

My cake day is up in like 3 days and I have no idea what to do for it.

My post made it to #23 while I was awake. Shame it was a .self! Never had so man orangereds.

@bob Cube's post is correct. It may appear to be trawling at first but it quickly becomes a rich and varied source of information and entertainment that you can flick between depending on what you're specifically interested in at the time. You don't think you need to refine your internet procrastination method any further, but that's because you don't have the opportunity to do so yet :P Check out the RES and hit /r/funny, open all pictures see!

I'mma trying it out now!

You know that bit in Family Guy when the two foreign guys are talking to one another in strange english? That's kind of what 9gag turned into.

Edit: Oh, dear, comedy gold already. My 'funny folder' thanks you. It's finally being fed nutricious goodness.

BCs16.jpg

Edited by 130131301364

I'm not a fan of Reddit really, even with Reddit Enhancement Suite. :)

I am a full on Tumblr boi, love scrolling through different blogs with their different themes and making some great finds. I just generally prefer the aesthetics of the website.

Reddit, I feel like I've seen it all before tbh even if it's new stuff.

Don't get me started on 9Gag.

I tried Reddit with the enhancement suite, and still it lacked aesthetically. As well as that, the content wasn't absolutely fantastic and there were a lot of repeats (that were greyed out).

(I lol at the requirement for aesthetics, and shake my head at "lack of content")

My cakeday today! Hit the front page while I was sleeping with a repost gif. Lots of angry people. But lots of karma! I say lots... Total is over 1,000 anyway.

This and XBL achievements = my life is entirely about digital made-up points. It's a shame I'm not better at the Name That Game 2012...

You and Zach Braff signed up to reddit on the same day. If that gives you more virtual kudos to celebrate.

Reached 1000 karma yesterday. Thanks to a picture Robert Picardo put on his Twitter. Then I uploaded an old cat picture and got over 300 more.

And I've got 9 years of cat photos to go through.

Nice :P I got 3 threads hit front page in a week - unfortunately two were selfs so I only got 1k link karma but my inbox was relentless for 3 days. THREE DAYS. Every time I cleared my inbox there were MOAR.

I've still yet to have a question answered on IAMA though - I'm always too late.

Sign in to follow this