N-Europe

revolution going to support 480p in europe ?

basscadet

My parents recently bought a glorious 40" hd-tv. :santa: I know, "La victoria siempre" won't support hd, but will it support progressive scan in Europe? As you probably all know, the gamecube supported progressive scan in the US, but this feature was left out in Europe. The reason obviously was the fact that we are always one tv-generation behind.

Luckily now, hd-tv are getting cheaper and cheaper. High-definition displays are gradually dripping in European households and sooner or later everybody will have one.

So the 2 big questions are: Are we going to be able to play our rev-games in progressive scan, and will our pal-gamecube games be compatible as well ?

P.S.: I used to be a regular poster a while ago (especially preceding the gamecube launch), but for some reason my account vanished. oh well

I sure hope they do.

I've got a Dell 2005FPW and when I played my mate's PS2 on it, it all looked a bit weird and went alarmingly fast. I read this was because the lack of progressive scan. I sure hope they support widescreen and progressive scan.

Also, this is a new site isn't it? I think you were on cube-europe before lol.

I hope so too, but I can't say. My grandparents own a TV that supports progressive scan but it's the only one I've ever seen. Also, I don't know if 100 Hz equals progressive scan 50 Hz - because if it does, there's no way they can ignore it.

I don't think that progressive scan and the frequency have anything to do with each other. Anyway I thought that the EU GC also supported 480p, are you sure about this? Another clarification, you don't need a hdtv for 480p, edtv also support 480p, the differentce is in the resolution.

Hmm, now you mention it - the European Cube does support 480p because if you start up US games with a Freeloader you can run them in progressive scan. I'll try it out on my TV later if it works (on my 100 Hz TV that is).

Hmm, now you mention it - the European Cube does support 480p because if you start up US games with a Freeloader you can run them in progressive scan. I'll try it out on my TV later if it works (on my 100 Hz TV that is).
yeah it does... the reason it was left out is because in europe the PAL progressive scan standard was still unfinished... Xbox doesn't support it either in PAL games... now Xbox 360 supports it those same PAL games... I think revolution is not going to leave that out as it would have been implemented in the cube if the standard was finished back in 2001.

I read something about having to press and hold the B button on your controller at startup to enable progressive scan (on cubes that have it ). After everything I've read about the subject I believe the Revolution will have progressive scan.

Miyamoto once said that every Revolution game will have 480p as a standard.

I believe that includes PAL games too...

But then they would no longer be PAL games, and would only be compatible on NTSC compatible TVs.

But then, they omitted complete PAL conversion of Metroid Prime 2 and Geist.

Maybe Nintendo would leave our superior resolution for a few more flicks a second? I hope not.