NEurope
Yvonne

The Wire Season 1 Mafia: Signups

The theme doesn't really appeal to me, so I'll have a pass. But you have fun! :)

Same for me I'm afraid, but everyone else - have at it.

Me me me me me!

(In please)

Whatever happened to that 'auto-signup' list that we had going a little while back? We need a new one of them, that I am at the top of :heh:

cool! sorry I forgot to tag you, for some reason I thought you were already in the list :)

@Jon Dedede did you join just to play this? :p

Hope we can convince you to stay and play some more ;)

hehe, I strongly suspect this is our mate Jon. I think Rummy must have prodded him to join :)

Indeed that is my doing, it took little prodding beyond a conversation about me re-watching s1 for the game!

(he's brand new to mafias btw, does anyone have advice of something quick/easy/brief/introductory to the concept worth reading? I've half tried to explain it, not sure I've done the best job though)

Edited by Rummy

Well, there's always the MafiaScum wiki, but our games have acquired their own distinctive features. The thread linked to by The Peeps is a great reference guide, but if you want a "short" introduction to the basic premise of the game, I have written one below:

At the start of the game all players are sent their roles by the GM, in this case Yvonne. There are two factions: the town and the mafia. The mafia players know who each other are and can communicate outside the game thread, while the town players normally only know their own role. The mafia's goal is to gain majority by killing off townies, while the town's goal is to figure out who the mafiosos are and lynch them.

The game progresses through day and night phases. During the day phase the players talk in the game thread and try to figure out who the mafiosos are. Each player can vote for another player they're suspicious of, and if a player reaches a majority of votes, they're lynched and have their role revealed in the thread by the GM. The dead player is out of the game and no longer allowed to post in the thread, and the game then switches to night phase.

During the night phase no talking is allowed in the thread. Instead, most players have a power connected to their role that they may use by sending a PM to the GM - for instance, an investigator can check another player to see if they're town or mafia, a roleblocker can stop another player from using their power, a protector can protect another player from negative effects etc. There are lots of common roles and just as many variations, and they're always hotly debated, so just ask. Meanwhile, the mafiosos have powers of their own to help them gain majority, the most important of course being killing. They decide on their targets together in a secret forum of their own, and when the GM has collected all targets, the game switches to day phase again.

At the beginning of the day, the victim is revealed by the GM, and sometimes a write-up is posted detailing information about the night's events. The nature and style of these write-ups vary widely from game to game and from GM to GM; some contain hints and clues about the people who targetted each other in the night phase, while others are pure flavour with no actual bearing on the game. Players who targetted each other in the night receive info about their actions via PM, and the day then continues as before with discussion, voting and a potential lynch.

These are the fundamentals of the game. It ends when either all mafiosos have been found and lynched (the town wins) or the town can no longer reach majority over the mafia (the mafia wins). Sometimes there are also neutral roles with their own win conditions, and these can be anything from serial killers who have to kill a certain number of people to jesters who have to get themselves lynched to win the game! It's chaotic and exciting, people WILL get paranoid and frustrated, but in the end it's all about having fun! :)