NEurope
ReZourceman

Ghosts and The Afterlife

I've never understood why ghosts are meant to be scary. If they're just dead humans coming back, why would they haunt anyone?

Ghosts aren't scary.

Once you've performed the ritual.

If you do like ghost programmes though, I recommend Great British Ghosts on Yesterday (Fridays, 9pm, Freeview Channel 12, and repeated quite a lot). It's quite charming, doesn't usually have psychics or mediums and is generally just a good way to explore some interesting buildings and hear spooky tales (they don't do "investigations"; it's all anecdotes, and is all the better for it in my book).

These are also floating around like woos on YouTube. Speaking of woos ;) Karl Pilkington talks about ghosts a bit - his videos are knockin' about on YT too.

Edited by madeinbeats

I've never understood why anybody would believe ouija boards. It's like saying you must be a millionaire because you played Monopoly. If you don't understand what I mean, look at the top of the board.

154t34p_lkv_l.jpg

That's right, Ouija is a registered trade mark of Hasbro (originally Parker Brothers, who also owned the aforementioned Monopoly, until Hasbro bought them out).

Yes, that's right, it's a board game. Not some ancient, mystical device. A board game. And it wasn't even intended to be used to converse with the dead, they were meant to channel your inner spirit/sub-conscious mind. Using them to communicate with the dead was popularised by The Exorcist. So if you believe that you can use them to communicate with the dead, then what you're actually believing is that the dead use a trade marked board game, whose alternate use was popularised by a Hollywood film, to communicate with you. Frankly, that makes you an idiot.

As for ghosts and that, I probably don't believe them, although the excited inner child in me would like to. However I'm of a similar opinion to other people, whilst I don't believe in them, I wouldn't definitively say that they don't exist.

I Guess I do believe...

I'll open up and share my experiences, belittle them if you wish... I'll always remember how I felt when these things happened.

Okay -

My parents both used to work at a hospital called Hortham Hospital when they had me. In fact, when I was born, I actually lived in the nursing quarters of this hospital as my mum and dad were still in the process of getting their house. The first 3 months of my life i lived in my mums nursing accommodation at this hospital.

Well anyway, moving on and Hortham shut down, it wasn't torn down, it was left to stand and rot away for years. In around 2006 My friends and I were into these derelict buildings and walking around them, So my mum told me about Hortham.

She took us there in the day, gave us a tour of the buildings (the ones we could get in that weren't falling apart), she took us around the wards, the surgery's and the nursing accommodation. We visited my room.

In the corridor she then told us of the room opposite where at the time my dads then best friend had stayed. He hung himself in that room.

we went back to the hospital in the night, you know.. "way lads, scary hospital, lets get some kicks!" type of thing. We go into the ward first, it's 2 stories, we progress up the stairs to the 2nd floor, and there's a door with a circle window on it in the corridor. we go to push the door open, and it wont budge. okay.. no problem, 4 of us start pushing it, it doesn't open. The window part is smashed so I put my camera through it and take a picture of the floor on the other side to see what's blocking it..... Nothing... we push the door and it opens without any effort.

we're walking along the corridor and we swear we can hear people in the floor below. We stop, in the corridor, and sure enough the 4 of us hear steps coming up the steps we went up. We are shitting ourselves now, we don't know what to expect, whether we'll see a 'Ghost' Or a drugged up, homeless guy wanting to stab us for our money... either way it was scary. The door that was stuck earlier, now slams open.

We run as fast as we can down the corridor to try and find another set of stairs to get the fuck out of that building, we find another set right at the other end of the ward, and leg it to the nursing accommodation bit... We didn't want to go home yet, this was getting interesting.

We go into the nurse accommodation area, and of course the first thing we want to do is go to that room where my dad's friend hung himself (probably not the nicest way to word it, but we're already buzzing on adrenaline) So we don't actually make it to the room, instead we're about 4 doors down from that room and we stop.,

we're stood in a circle, One of my friends starts shifting back the way we came, encouraging people to come with him. we're walking in a line down the corridor, and my friend says "I didn't want to panic anyone back there, but while we were stood there I swear someone SShhh'd in my ear, that's why I wanted to get out!"

so we pick up the pace, start walking faster out of the building.

we decide that's it, we'll call it a night, we're walking over the remains of the carpark to get to our car, and just hear an almighty "BANG" again, like a door slamming, and then yeah we got in the car drove off.

We went back many times again, but never experienced the same stuff again, we Didn't go into the nursing accommodation ever again.

The hospital has since been knocked down and turned into a housing estate.

Many explanations for what we thought we encountered.... Wind, Genuine people in the hospital at the same time as us... Imagination perhaps?

All I know is, that night was actually incredible, the amount of adrenaline that was pumping through us, the excitement but also sheer terror that we felt...

All 4 of us have the same story, and have the same experience from that one night, but again.... people can always not believe.

I've got pictures of the place that i'll be willing to show people (at work so can't right now) although there isn't anything to prove what I've said on them.

To believe in ghosts you have to believe a soul exists. And there are many reasons to believe souls don't exist. People in the past believed that the body and mind were separate, and eventually believed that there was a single point in the brain where the soul could communicate with the body through animal spirits (Descartes said this). People believed that the soul housed your personality, and that it was the kind of person you were. However, as time went on, people discovered that you're personality and perception were controlled by different brain areas and that damage to any of those areas could completely change your personality and ultimately, who you are. Belief in the duality of mind and body began to lessen after that for many other reasons as well.

I just don't understand the fascination with souls. If souls are able to move objects, move forever without a substance to provide it with energy, fly and even go through solid objects, then why do we even need a body. Why aren't we all just souls, having a grand old time.

Then you also have to go into, do animals have souls, and how complex does an animal have to be to have a soul. When there was only life without souls, what made the next one one receive one. At what point during evolution did a soul just pop into the organism. All these questions just make me realise how much of a human creation souls are, and how they could were obviously the dreamt up by humans, once again, to explain what they could not.

I just don't understand the fascination with souls. If souls are able to move objects, move forever without a substance to provide it with energy, fly and even go through solid objects, then why do we even need a body. Why aren't we all just souls, having a grand old time.

Because, unlike our ancient ancient counterparts, we haven't yet been able to achieve ascension of to a higher plane of existence, where we can shed our physical forms and exist as pure energy.

Because, unlike our ancient ancient counterparts, we haven't yet been able to achieve ascension of to a higher plane of existence, where we can shed our physical forms and exist as pure energy.

Maybe you haven't...

Well apparently we can if we die with unfinished business. So all you have to do is get halfway through a sudoku puzzle and then jump off a building (preferably a tall one). Then you can hang out with all the other ghost friends and have a gay old time.

As an aside, does anyone find it interesting that there seem to be less reports these days?

Not really - trends come and go. Just as vampires experiences a rebirth with twilight/true blood/etc, which we last experienced with buffy/blade. Ghosts'll be back!

@Murr yes that's not the nicest way to say it - meat is hung. Men are hanged.

28quoom.jpg

Come join the party Moogle!

I've never understood why ghosts are meant to be scary. If they're just dead humans coming back, why would they haunt anyone?

If I ever became a ghost I'd totally cash in and get my own tv show.

Revenge and stuff. Ghosts are sneakier because of the stuff heroic said!

As I'm just watching i now on Bio, I was reminded of this thread and thought I'd mention Celebrity Ghost Stories is one of the best paranormal shows I have seen. Just folks recalling their accounts sometimes in extraordinary detail. There are one's which could be easily explained but there are plenty that are pretty bloody compelling.

Comes in three flavours: American celebs, UK celebs and common plebs. All on Bio or maybe YouTube and your favourite download sites.

The late Terry Nutkins told his story on the UK one which was pretty amazing. Remember this guy was a logical clear thinking scientist. Should check it out.

the dead use a trade marked board game, whose alternate use was popularised by a Hollywood film, to communicate with you.

Oh, Duuuuuuude, the dead are ALL ABOUT Mousetrap.

mouse-trap-game.jpg

Anyway. Yes, I've seen a ghost. I was about seventeen, it was this greenish-white apparition that hovered around my bed one night. It said "However, this is mine" and disappeared into my wardrobe. Creepy.