NEurope
ReZourceman

Ghosts and The Afterlife

Do you believe ghosts exist?

Have you ever had "an experience" ?

Most Haunted is a fun/funny programme.

I am a sceptic.

I'm sceptical too... but you can't say for sure! surely.

Could be kinda interesting to do one of those 'most haunted' type things one time (and sit in a freezing cold, dark castle for a night experiencing nothing :p) just to see what experience you yourself get.

"Ghosthunters has been on the air since 2004. How long would you keep watching a show called "Moosehunters", if they never saw or heard a single fucking Moose?"

~ reddit thread from a few months back

I have, but it's not something I'd go into detail about on a unrelated website. People tend to try and destroy what you know for yourself as truth for their own personal agenda. The subject is just beyond some people's comprehension, but they still like to be outspoken on the subject a lot of the time.

For the record, don't base your research around Most Haunted as the show is so disgustingly rigged and fake, Scooby Doo is more believable.

"Ghosthunters has been on the air since 2004. How long would you keep watching a show called "Moosehunters", if they never saw or heard a single fucking Moose?"

~ reddit thread from a few months back

Don't be stupid.

Everyone knows moose don't exist.

I have, but it's not something I'd go into detail about on a unrelated website. People tend to try and destroy what you know for yourself as truth for their own personal agenda. The subject is just beyond some people's comprehension, but they still like to be outspoken on the subject a lot of the time.

For the record, don't base your research around Most Haunted as the show is so disgustingly rigged and fake, Scooby Doo is more believable.

I would be interested to hear your experience, and I would hope that the users of N-Europe are more mature than to debase others personal experiences, or belittling your beliefs.

I for one at least would like to hear it, feel free to PM or post on my wall if you so desire.

I would hope that the users of N-Europe are more mature than to debase others personal experiences, or belittling your beliefs.

You think we're more mature than that? Oh my god you're so fucking stupid. You'd have to be retarded to think that. Everything you believe is a lie.

I would be interested to hear your experience, and I would hope that the users of N-Europe are more mature than to debase others personal experiences, or belittling your beliefs.

I for one at least would like to hear it, feel free to PM or post on my wall if you so desire.

Yeah, no worries. Might not be what you are execting but I'll give you all the details. I'll trust you not to pass it on to anyone else :)

Yeah, no worries. Might not be what you are execting but I'll give you all the details. I'll trust you not to pass it on to anyone else :)

Are we talking about the same ReZourceman?

If ghosts existed we'd know about it by now. How long have humans been around?

I don't believe in ghosts, I don't believe in an afterlife, I don't believe in cunts pretending to talk to dead people.

I kind of like mediums, though.

Especially when they fail.

I saw this clip on YouTube where a woman asked a medium about her dead husband, and the medium said she could sense water. Erm, water? Yes, he died in water. And the woman looked really confused and said he was a firefighter who died during 9/11. The medium refused to back down and finally the co-host had to mumble something about how firefighters are usually around water so that's probably what she meant now let's move on.

I can't stand those ghost hunting shows, though, because there's no disappointment and crushed hopes in them.

I don't believe in cunts pretending to talk to dead people.

I just don't believe in vaginas, period.

Have you ever seen one?

Yeah, I didn't think so.

I don't believe in cunts pretending to talk to dead people.

This is the absolute worst thing.

Its....so so so wrong. So wrong. Really messing with peoples emotions, feelings and beliefs, something that is so deeply and profoundly awful.

My Aunt saw one of those, and was allowed to record it. She was initially impressed but on hearing the recording. First of all, it took her at least 10 guesses to guess my grandma's name. Then she mentioned a recent argument my aunt had with her mum. She had been dead for many years. The response to that was something like "her spirit is so strong that it feels as though she's still here".

I think life is a pretty weird concept without some kind of 'outer'-life. I refuse to use the term 'afterlife' because that implies there is nothing 'before' being alive. Also, what if we only perceive time as linear and it actually isn't? A lot of people put a lot of trust in the authority of science and 'rationality' but realistically we know very little, from a very narrow perspective, too. Maybe reality is one giant optical illusion that we can only view from one angle.

As Aristotle mused, and Peter Pan (James Barrie) astutely put it; "To die will be an awfully big adventure."

Ghosts are bullshit, though.

I have a ghost 'experience' but I don't believe in ghosts. I like to pretend there's some sort of afterlife/larger picture, but only because not pretending makes my brain hurt and I don't want to face a reality where nothing means anything at all -- even though i use the absurdity of life to get away with being a dick/failure, in general. Schisms/hypocracies are runofthemill.

ANYWAY GHOSTS YESS.

I never really understood why Slimer was so friendly.

I've never understood why ghosts are meant to be scary. If they're just dead humans coming back, why would they haunt anyone?

If I ever became a ghost I'd totally cash in and get my own tv show.

I'm pretty much a total sceptic myself, but I understand how it happens/people believe in it. I've been told a few personal stories by people, @madeinbeats despite being sceptical, I'd like to hear yours too. I enjoy hearing them, and I try to be good about not debunking them; it's very difficult to argue with some people on either side(sceptic vs non-sceptic) kinda like the athiests vs christians, so I try to be open minded and not a total dick/engage in a forever argument.

I won't believe in ghosts unless I see one. I don't spend a lot of time denying the existence of spirits either, which aligns with my view of religion (agnostic) :)

By the way, The Apparition is an awful (ghost) movie, don't watch it. Unless you like Draco Malfoy, because he's in it. (The actor, obviously, not the character.)

If the supernatural is ever proven to be real, it ceases to be supernatural. Plenty of people have had strange experiences, no doubt about that, but they're far more easily explained by current scientific understanding than by spirits, ESP or aliens.

That being said, I'm massively fascinated by what quantum mechanics, M-theory etc. could reveal about the nature of reality and our perception of it.

If the supernatural is ever proven to be real, it ceases to be supernatural.

It's like when people equate UFOs with alien spaceships, which really annoys me. If you know that it's an alien spaceship, then it's not a UFO.

I've never understood why ghosts are meant to be scary. If they're just dead humans coming back, why would they haunt anyone?

Because they have several ridiculous attributes. Can't be touched yet can make noise. i.e. they can vibrate the air. They can either be touched or they can vibrate the air. One or the other. Float through walls or throw pots. You can't be doing all of this shit. Or else they are op.

There was a big argument about this last time. :heh:

Firstly, I agree most ghost programmes are a bit daft. I like to give them the benefit of the doubt, though, that they started with good intentions. Maybe the creators really did think if they spent enough time in dark houses with camcorders they'd eventually capture something. When it didn't happen, they probably thought "Let's create some stunts, so at least it's not an hour of nothing happening", and so you get "orbs", pebbles being thrown on the floor etc. I'm quite fond of them, to be honest, as they're only trying to entertain (I don't approve of Ouija boards though as I think people scare themselves too much with them).

If you do like ghost programmes though, I recommend Great British Ghosts on Yesterday (Fridays, 9pm, Freeview Channel 12, and repeated quite a lot). It's quite charming, doesn't usually have psychics or mediums and is generally just a good way to explore some interesting buildings and hear spooky tales (they don't do "investigations"; it's all anecdotes, and is all the better for it in my book).

My second point is that, yes, I think ghosts might exist, but I'm not trying to tell people they exist or we might have another argument! You don't believe anything until there's enough evidence? Good for you. I wouldn't want to be gullible either as there are a lot of liars about and those who simply do not apply enough rational scrutiny (you know the type - those who claim they see them again and again, no offence intended). Personally, enough people are sure they have seen them and, whilst I always look for rational explanations, I do not think any are good enough to totally explain the phenomenon.

As an aside, does anyone find it interesting that there seem to be less reports these days?

My third point is that just because I think there might be an unexplained phenomenon, I do not necessarily associate it with spirits or the afterlife. I believe people see images, sure, but I think the explanation is likely to be stranger than we can currently imagine. You really would think I was barking mad if I gave you some of my theories! It's like UFOs. I firmly believe in that phenomenon, but I don't necessarily think they are alien spaceships. I think that is just the strangest explanation we can come up with at the moment.