NEurope
are1981

Wii U eShop Thread

So The Cave is out next week in America. That's a lot sooner than I expected! I hope this means it makes an appearance here before long :)

It looks to be launching next week.

Monkey Island mastermind Ron Gilbert has announced a release date for The Cave, his return to the adventure game genre and collaboration with Brütal Legend developer Double Fine.

The Cave will launch on PSN in North America and globally for Wii U on 22nd January, Gilbert wrote on Twitter.

Xbox Live Arcade, European PSN and Steam (PC, Mac and Linux) versions will follow on 23rd January.

It'll cost £9.99/€12.99/$14.99 or 1200 Microsoft Points.

It looks to be launching next week.

Nice. I was wondering if new XBLA and PSN content would get Wii U releases at the same time. Gladly this is!!!

Sonic and SEGA All Stars Racing Transformed demo is up on the eShop!

Took their time!

BTW, I really like how demos can just appear at any time, instead of just always being lumped in with the main Thursday update :)

Sonic and SEGA All Stars Racing Transformed demo is up on the eShop!

Interesting timing! On the day the MK League starts again. Looks like someone at Sega also participates in the league and is trying to sabotage people's MK feel!:heh:

Yeah not much of a theory as the game is already out :P

Do we know if The Cave can be played just on the gamepad? I've done a quick Google search, but come up with nothing.

WAIT!? Wii U VC GAMES ARE STILL 50HZ!?

tumblr_lzb9uyfa4o1qj4vs2o1_500.gif

FUCK THIS BULLSHIT!!!

(Places order for US Wii U and hugs his US Wii with its massive VC library :hug:)

Is that 50 - 60Hz stuff that noticable for people to freak out over?

Especially when we're talking about (S)NES games here...

Enlighten me.

Played Balloon Fight today, after dying a few times I angrily turned it off. That damn game is worth no more than 30p!! :mad:

(I love it really, it's just way harder than I remember)

Is that 50 - 60Hz stuff that noticable for people to freak out over?

Especially when we're talking about (S)NES games here...

Enlighten me.

Absofuckinglutely it is!!!

It's a complete deal killer as far as I'm concerned.

Basically, UK versions of games move 12.5% slower than they should do and come complete with massive boarders around the screen.

The whole reason why I started importing in the first place was to get away from all that crap! At least it means that my US Wii now serves a purpose again I guess ::shrug:

I'm not even joking. I'm buying a US Wii U next month for the sole purpose of playing my US games on the Gamepad (though I'm not gonna import anything physical. Sick of playing that importing game)

Screw you NOE!

Edited by Dcubed

Absofuckinglutely it is!!!

It's a complete deal killer as far as I'm concerned.

Basically, UK versions of games move 12.5% slower than they should do and come complete with massive boarders around the screen.

The whole reason why I started importing in the first place was to get away from all that crap! At least it means that my US Wii now serves a purpose again I guess ::shrug:

I'm not even joking. I'm buying a US Wii U next month for the sole purpose of playing my US games on the Gamepad (though I'm not gonna import anything physical. Sick of playing that importing game)

Screw you NOE!

Damn right it matters. I remember my next door neighbour getting Streetfighter 2 on import on his famicom and then being shocked when I saw SF2 on the Snes. The borders just killed it.

I didnt even know the Wii VC was 50hz. My wii is Japanese so I just assumed the PAL wii VC games ran the same but no obviously they didnt.

We still dont even get an option for 60Hz?? Well the VC's a write-off for me then.

Do you think a bombardment of Miiverse complaints is in order?

I'm in too good a mood to complain about much, but no 60hz is a big deal (in context, obviously). The Virtual Console is not about nostalgia. We say (quite rightly) that Super Metroid, Super Mario World, Link to the Past etc are great games in their own right, so let's finally have the proper versions!

Or just put them on the 3DS. :)

There's a demo up for The Cave.

I had a go on it earlier, seems like a pretty cool game. Gave me a slight Zack & Wiki vibe. :)

God yes! We have non-50Hz versions on the 3DS.. this is so bonkers!

It's all to do with screens, I suppose. They know every 3DS owner has the same screen, whereas they think some Wii U owners are still using 50hz screens (which might be the case, but I don't understand why we can't have a 50/60hz switch).

It's all to do with screens, I suppose. They know every 3DS owner has the same screen, whereas they think some Wii U owners are still using 50hz screens (which might be the case, but I don't understand why we can't have a 50/60hz switch).

At least bloody make it so that if you're playing the Wii U in HD resolution, it sets the VC emulator to run in 60HZ!

It's a trivial thing to do (and hell they actually do it for NES games on the 3DS!)

Maybe I'll wait a little longer though, at least until E3. If they offer 60HZ SNES games on the 3DS, maybe I'll just get the ones I want to play portably on there instead. I'd rather not have to deal with messing around with multiple region consoles again, it's such a PITA!

TBH, I'm actually happy with my current setup. The most important thing is that I can play them on my TV, with pixel perfect image quality at their proper intended speed and screen size and that's all I ever really wanted all those years ago :) Off TV Play is just a bonus really (that could easily be covered and then some, with true portability, via a 3DS release.

Having GBA games on the Wii U but not 3DS is just plain weird though! Hopefully they extend those games to the handheld VC soon enough. At the very least, I'm happy to see those GBA classics finally get re-released anywho :D )

Edited by Dcubed

Exactly! Even the Gamecube had "Hold [whatever button] for 60Hz Mode".

once the dreamcast offered this 60Hz option that should have been standard for everyone else.

Nintendo once again go out of their way to piss people off.

I'm in too good a mood to complain about much, but no 60hz is a big deal (in context, obviously). The Virtual Console is not about nostalgia. We say (quite rightly) that Super Metroid, Super Mario World, Link to the Past etc are great games in their own right, so let's finally have the proper versions!

Or just put them on the 3DS. :)

Well considering me and my bro paid for a whole lot of content on our Japanese Wii there is no chance Nintendo Europe are gonna get a penny me if the same games I have which run in 60Hz are now in 50Hz for pal regions.

I wont buy one single game.

Having GBA games on the Wii U but not 3DS is just plain weird though! Hopefully they extend those games to the handheld VC soon enough. At the very least, I'm happy to see those GBA classics finally get re-released anywho :D )

No GBA or SNES on 3DS is just silly!!

How about Nintendo finally unify accounts across all platforms and start offering VC content on both pieces of hardware.

Edited by khilafah

Got 2 points from Balloon Fight, my first eShop purchase... :laughing:

Notice they kept the aspect ratio which I was pleased about, the Wii stretched them if you were set to widescreen so they didn't look very nice. I know people are complaining about the 50/60hz thing but it's never been something that bothered me.

Tried out the The Cave demo, was pretty funny, just not sure if I'll buy the full version as it isn't really my type of game.