NEurope
are1981

Wii U eShop Thread

Nintendo really need to embed the Wii mode in the main OS and also tie wii and wii u accounts seamlessly. They did it with 3DS DSiware, seems like a bizarre step back!

They also need to let us play all these game solely on the pad!

They have to have it seperate in order to maintain full compatibility. The DS or DSi's games never had any functions that hooked into its OS. The Wii however has the Miis that hook into the Mii Channel, games that can send messages to the Wii Message Board, games that can access data from the Weather and Mii Contest Channels and games that can install channels to the Wii Menu. If the OS wasn't there, the games would just crash and not function.

All the 3DS has to do is activate its BC mode to fully run DS/DSi games. The Wii U on the other hand has to have all of the Wii's base functions built in in order for games to function properly. There's no way around it sadly.

Likewise, activating Wii Mode literally turns the Wii U into a Wii (just like GCN mode turned the Wii into a GCN). The Wii Mode has no way of accessing any of the Wii U's hardware functionality and so, cannot stream games to the Gamepad. It's a hardware limitation and something that just comes with the territory of hardware based BC. Again, no way around it.

Take all that functionality away. What games use those functions, and do any use them well?! I highly doubt it. Seems like another bollocks limitation to me.

And also, still doesn't stop you being able to use them on the gamepad. It could just treat it like a TV.

Take all that functionality away. What games use those functions, and do any use them well?! I highly doubt it. Seems like another bollocks limitation to me.

And also, still doesn't stop you being able to use them on the gamepad. It could just treat it like a TV.

If you take those functions away, the games would crash. Anything that uses Miis (which is a large chunk of the Wii's library BTW) would simply not function.

And the Wii Mode has no way of even detecting the Gamepad at all, it's a limitation of hardware based backwards compatibility. What you are asking for can only be done through software emulation. Hardware based BC simply cannot work in the way you're describing (It's all or nothing).

Cheers dude.

Just checking mine now, even though I only have teh one downloaded game so far, I just wanted to see what the site was like.

Spotted something odd (least to me)

I've only bought Trine 2 so far.

On teh site it says I've earned 113 points for that based off a price of 11.34euro

But I paid 13.49euro for it?

Where did the difference go?

Cheers dude.

Just checking mine now, even though I only have teh one downloaded game so far, I just wanted to see what the site was like.

On teh site it says I've earned 113 points for that based off a price of 11.34euro

I paid £10.99 for Trine and only got 92 points.

Well, we should only get 8 points per £/€.

You paid EUR 13.49. Multiplied by 8 is 107.92, if my head serves me this evening. You actually got about 5 points more than promised.

Edit: My head failed on first attempt. It is 107.92, not 108.92.

And you should have only recieved 87 or 88 points. How Nintendo calculate these points, I do not know.

Edited by are1981
Automerged Doublepost

You get the money off the period BEFORE VAT is added hence on the lower prices.

You get the money off the period BEFORE VAT is added hence on the lower prices.

If that is true, Nintendo actually gives 10 points per £/€ paid less tax, ending up being a little more than 8 points effectively.

GBP 10.99 divided by 1.2 (removing the 20% tax) is GBP 9.16. Then I assume Nintendo gave 10 points per pound, and rounded up, and awarded 92 points.

Here in Norway, if Nintendo does the calculations the same way, we will not benefit as much, because we have 25% sales tax. We will get exactly 8% back on these coupons.

Edited by are1981

If that is true, Nintendo actually gives 10 points per £/€ paid less tax, ending up being a little more than 8 points effectively.

GBP 10.99 divided by 1.2 (removing the 20% tax) is GBP 9.16. Then I assume Nintendo gave 10 points per pound, and rounded up, and awarded 92 points.

Here in Norway, if Nintendo does the calculations the same way, we will not benefit as much, because we have 25% sales tax. We will get exactly 8% back on these coupons.

It IS true. 100% fact!

Did anything go up on the shop today? Can't wait for Zen Pinball 2

It IS true. 100% fact!

Did anything go up on the shop today? Can't wait for Zen Pinball 2

Nothing at all. You'd think being a new console that they'd have more than this. Even a few more demos would be nice.

Wii U is already gathering dust.

Yeah the e-shop is a bit of disappointment right now, i was totally expecting weekly updates, in fact i was hoping for multiple weekly releases akin with PSN compared to the current dribble of 3DS eshop releases.

How difficult can it be to just blast out virtual console gameboy games? if they did two or three first party games a week we'd still have enough games to last over a year! i do not want another repeat of the wii virtual console and taking years to get some of the better games out

come to think of it, not like psn, i'm still annoyed at the speed or rather lack of speed at releaseing psone classics!

still i hope they step it up now, we need weekly releases of something, and bloody get a virtual console out in the first quarter

Yeah, the sooner they put the virtual console up the better, and let us transfer all out previous VC console games PROPERLY. And Nintendo, let us use our NES virtual consoles on 3DS and Wii U. And use the gamepad.

Nintendo, it's going to be harder and harder to get people to buy dedicated game consoles, even harder to pull MORE people to Nintendo as I'm losing confidence the ability for 3 main consoles without them eating into each other. Using your heritage and being consumer friendly will greatly entice people!

Yeah, the sooner they put the virtual console up the better, and let us transfer all out previous VC console games PROPERLY. And Nintendo, let us use our NES virtual consoles on 3DS and Wii U. And use the gamepad.

Nintendo, it's going to be harder and harder to get people to buy dedicated game consoles, even harder to pull MORE people to Nintendo as I'm losing confidence the ability for 3 main consoles without them eating into each other. Using your heritage and being consumer friendly will greatly entice people!

This is really a terrifying thought. I can honestly see Nintendo charging us again for games we already own once the VC hits the Wi U. It's already happening with the 3DS with the likes of the NES classics.

This is really a terrifying thought. I can honestly see Nintendo charging us again for games we already own once the VC hits the Wi U. It's already happening with the 3DS with the likes of the NES classics.

I wouldn't paying again IF it was HEAVILY discounted like 75-90% discounted, or some sort of upgrade fee, like when apple removed DRM and you had to pay a tiny amount to convert the DRM tracks you had

but if its a case of re-buy at full cost......good god i hope not

I'm only interested in buying games on the Wii U VC that I don't have on the Wii VC, personally I'm hoping for downloadable GC games. :)

I'm only interested in buying games on the Wii U VC that I don't have on the Wii VC, personally I'm hoping for downloadable GC games. :)

I'm the same, though I kinda wonder what GC games I'd actually want that I don't already own ::shrug: There may not actually be anything.. :eek:

I'd actually love to see some Sega Saturn and Dreamcast games on the Wii U VC as I'm sure there are a few of those that I wouldn't mind getting hold of :grin:

I plan to keep all of my Wii content on my original Wii due to the transfer not taking everything across and still wanting to have the console hooked up to play GC games anyway. I don't feel in desperate need of a Virtual Console on Wii U just yet..

I'm certain of it!

Mighty Switch Force gets a sale!

Starting today, Mighty Switch Force: Hyper Drive Edition on Wii U will be 30% off! If you've been holding out, now's the time!

Mighty Switch Force gets a sale!

Where is that quote from?

Does there exist a website that list all the eShop-exclusive games on sale for each region and price history for each game?

Where is that quote from?

Does there exist a website that list all the eShop-exclusive games on sale for each region and price history for each game?

Sorry for not giving the link.

It's from WayForwards Official Twitter Profile.

Btw, I Don't think a website like that exists, or at the very least I haven't seen one like that.

Wii U retail demo

ZombiU (Ubisoft, free) — Originally thought to be on the way in December last year, the ZombiU demo has finally arrived on the European eShop. Unfortunately its 18 rating means that you'll have to wait for a four hour window late tonight to download it — at least it'll be appropriately dark and spooky when you give it a try and bash some zombie heads.

FFS Nintendo get some new content on the Eshop!!

Sorry for not giving the link.

It's from WayForwards Official Twitter Profile.

Btw, I Don't think a website like that exists, or at the very least I haven't seen one like that.

No problem. I did the research myself, and found out. Thank you.

I am very tempted to buy Mighty Switch Force: Hyper Drive Edition now! I still have so many games to play on several consoles, so that's what holding me back.

A website tracking eShop games and prices would be very useful to me. Since developers/publishers have full control on sales now, including periods and prices, I assume as time go by, it will get increasingly difficult navigate the eShop and notice which games are on sale.

So The Cave is out next week in America. That's a lot sooner than I expected! I hope this means it makes an appearance here before long :)

So The Cave is out next week in America. That's a lot sooner than I expected! I hope this means it makes an appearance here before long :)

The PlayStation version is next week in Europe, so hopefully the Wii U will be similar.