NEurope
are1981

Wii U eShop Thread

3DS version for me. I think it suits the 3DS' pick up and play nature really well. Easy to jump in do a level while you've got a few minutes spare. Also I'll take the Streetpass mode over Miiverse integration, though obviously HD visuals are the main benefit of the Wii U version.

I'm having 2nd thoughts about which version of Shovel Knight to get. Although I'd much rather play it on the 3DS, I just looked it up on the eShop and the screenshots looked low-res, with the sprites too small for the screen. Are they just compressed, or is it because it was designed as hi-res and is not a great fit for the 3DS's screen?

After about 2 hours of deciding, I went for the Wii U version, as the image on the GamePad looked better than both the 3DS and my TV.

3DS - Too compromised by the drop in resolution (in my opinion)

TV - Unfortunately, comparing these videos confirmed my television has a very poor response time. The sprites were leaving behind little blurs.

GamePad - Perfect. Looked "full" rez (even though it's more like medium, technically) and the motion blur is non-existant.

@Dcubed - any idea what the response time on the GamePad actually is? I can't see any blur at all. This whole thing has made me appreciated how good the GamePad is. OK, it's not the brightest or sharpest, but the lack of motion blur makes up for it. It's amazing.

Time to give my Wii U and GamePad a bit more attention, I think. Get more VC titles like I always intended.

Yeah I thought the images looked iffy on the 3DS eShop, but the actual game looks fine.

After about 2 hours of deciding, I went for the Wii U version, as the image on the GamePad looked better than both the 3DS and my TV.

3DS - Too compromised by the drop in resolution (in my opinion)

TV - Unfortunately, comparing these videos confirmed my television has a very poor response time. The sprites were leaving behind little blurs.

GamePad - Perfect. Looked "full" rez (even though it's more like medium, technically) and the motion blur is non-existant.

@Dcubed - any idea what the response time on the GamePad actually is? I can't see any blur at all. This whole thing has made me appreciated how good the GamePad is. OK, it's not the brightest or sharpest, but the lack of motion blur makes up for it. It's amazing.

Time to give my Wii U and GamePad a bit more attention, I think. Get more VC titles like I always intended.

Dunno what the response time is on the Gamepad, but I do know that it uses an IPS screen (think the 3DS does as well) and those types of screens give really good response time.

BTW: Do remember that the Gamepad is displaying a compressed video, so the minor artefacts and dull colours that you see don't necessarily come from the screen itself, but rather from the video that is being streamed to the Gamepad (ok, that distinction doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things, but it annoys me when people complain about the screen quality and the duller colours when it's displaying a compressed video stream at all times!)

BTW: I got both versions :awesome:

I'm gonna do my first play through on 3DS and then my second on Wii U! :D

BTW: I do have to just say that the S3D use in the 3DS version is AMAZING!! It is SO well done it is unreal!

They really put love and care into crafting the S3D effects in this game and it shows! Even the tiniest of details like having the splashes of oil drop forward in S3D when they hit the ground! Some of the best S3D implantation of any 3DS game I've played! :D

Edited by Dcubed

Dunno what the response time is on the Gamepad, but I do know that it uses an IPS screen (think the 3DS does as well) and those types of screens give really good response time.

BTW: Do remember that the Gamepad is displaying a compressed video, so the minor artefacts and dull colours that you see don't necessarily come from the screen itself, but rather from the video that is being streamed to the Gamepad (ok, that distinction doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things, but it annoys me when people complain about the screen quality and the duller colours when it's displaying a compressed video stream at all times!)

BTW: I got both versions :awesome:

I'm gonna do my first play through on 3DS and then my second on Wii U! :D

BTW: I do have to just say that the S3D use in the 3DS version is AMAZING!! It is SO well done it is unreal!

They really put love and care into crafting the S3D effects in this game and it shows! Even the tiniest of details like having the splashes of oil drop forward in S3D when they hit the ground! Some of the best S3D implantation of any 3DS game I've played! :D

I knew you'd like it! Look forward to reading your thoughts in the Shovel Knight thread :)

13th November releases on the Wii U eShop;

Wii U eShop

Tengami (Nyamyam, €7.99 / £6.99)

Paper Monsters Recut (Mobot Studios, €6.49 / £5.49)

Meine Ersten Mitsing-Lieder (Ringzero Games, €9.99) — A Germany-only karaoke title.

Wii U Virtual Console

Castlevania: Dracula X (Konami, SNES VC, €7.99 / £5.49) — This is the SNES port of the PC Engine’s Castlevania: Rondo of Blood.

Golden Sun: The Lost Age (Nintendo, GBA VC, €6.99 / £6.29)

Wii U Retail Download

LEGO Batman 3: Beyond Gotham (WB Games, €49.99 / £44.99) – Available from Friday 14th November.

Wii U DLC

Mario Kart 8 DLC Pack 1 (Nintendo, £7.00 / €7.99 or £11.00 / €11.99 for the double DLC bundle)

Wii U Demo

Flowerworks HD: Follie’s Adventure (Nocturnal, free)

Keep forgetting to check due to general busyness but what's the EU prices for Shovel Knight? 3DS and Wii U? And then the crossbuy promo?

Keep forgetting to check due to general busyness but what's the EU prices for Shovel Knight? 3DS and Wii U? And then the crossbuy promo?

UK pounds 12.99 for each on both platforms, but buy one for 12.99 ( Wii U or 3DS) and get the other with a 33% discount (making it 8.66) (or 21.65 in total).

Remember that your 3DS and Wii U have to share the same NNID. 3DS version has the free HOME menu theme.

Strangely without firing up the Wii U, I can't find any info on Euro prices.

Edit: found it, it's 14.99 Euros, each.

UK pounds 12.99 for each on both platforms, but buy one for 12.99 ( Wii U or 3DS) and get the other with a 33% discount (making it 8.66) (or 21.65 in total).

Remember that your 3DS and Wii U have to share the same NNID. 3DS version has the free HOME menu theme.

Strangely without firing up the Wii U, I can't find any info on Euro prices.

Edit: found it, it's 14.99 Euros, each.

Thanks! I've still got plenty to play atm so I think I'll shelve buying it til I get through a couple of eShop titles - Earthbound's going to be the big challenge!

Thanks! I've still got plenty to play atm so I think I'll shelve buying it til I get through a couple of eShop titles - Earthbound's going to be the big challenge!

You're welcome, and oddly enough I'm in the same situation. Too many games to even contemplate downloading this beauty. I'd love to, but I'll hold off for now.

This week's, 20th Nov., releases for the Wii U eShop;

Wii U eShop

Rock Zombie (EnjoyUp Games, €6.99 / £6.29)

Wii U Virtual Console

Wild Guns (Natsume, SNES VC, €7.99 / £5.49) – 60Hz US version.

Natsume Championship Wrestling (Natsume, SNES VC, €7.99 / £5.49) – 60Hz US version.

Wii U Retail Downloads

Watch Dogs (Ubisoft, €59.99 / £49.99)

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric (Sega, €49.99 / £39.99) – Available from Friday 21st November.

Wii U DLC

Two Watch Dogs DLC packs will be available on day one:

Conspiracy (Ubisoft, €4.99 / £3.99)

Access Granted (Ubisoft, €6.99 / £5.49)

WD getting DLC??

Wii U DLC

Two Watch Dogs DLC packs will be available on day one:

Conspiracy (Ubisoft, €4.99 / £3.99)

Access Granted (Ubisoft, €6.99 / £5.49)

WD getting DLC??

That's really crappy - DLC available at the outset should really be on the disc.

Watch Dogs isn't even out yet and they've DLC coming. At this late stage all of that should be on disc and at a budget price.

Watch Dogs isn't even out yet and they've DLC coming. At this late stage all of that should be on disc and at a budget price.

The "Access Granted" DLC would have been on the original disc as it's the pre-order bonuses.

That just makes it even worse. Stellar week for Wii U with 2 AAA releases, Watch Dogs and Sonic Boom. We are spoilt. :blank:

Going back a few weeks Iwata discussed preloading through Amazon. Not heard much since, did Iwata imply this would be available before Smash?

Going back a few weeks Iwata discussed preloading through Amazon. Not heard much since, did Iwata imply this would be available before Smash?

It only works with Smash at the moment, doesn't need to be through Amazon though. He said they started selling codes on Amazon but that's only in Japan so far.

27th November Wii U eShop releases;

Wii U eShop

Thomas Was Alone (Mike Bithell / Curve Studios, €7.99 / £6.99) — available from 25th November.

Pier Solar and the Great Architects (WaterMelon, $14.99)

Ittle Dew (Ludosity, €9.99 / £8.99)

Shiny The Firefly (Padaone Games, 6.99 / £6.29 until 31st December, regular price will be €9.99 / £8.99)

Wii U Virtual Console

Breath of Fire (Capcom, SNES VC, €7.99 / £5.49) – 60Hz US version of the game.

Wii U Retail Downloads

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U (Nintendo, €59.99 / £49.99)

Penguins of Madagascar (Little Orbit, €39.99 / £34.99)

Wii U DLC

Hyrule Warriors Twilight Princess Pack (Koei Tecmo, €6.99 / £6.29): includes the following;

-A new Adventure Mode map (Twilight-covered Hyrule) with six new 8-bit weapons and sixteen new alternatively-coloured costumes as rewards

-A new playable character (Midna in her true Twili form)

-A new weapon type for Zelda (Dominion Rod)

-Two new costumes (Ilia’s Clothes for Zelda and Postman Uniform for Link)

Wii U eShop Temporary Discounts

Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams (Black Forest Games, €8.99 / £7.79 until 4th December, regular price €14.99 / £12.99)

BIT.TRIP Presents: Runner 2 Future Legend of Rhythm Alien (Choice Provisions, €3.99 / £3.33 until 11th December, regular price €11.99 / £9.99)

Has anyone here played the original Breath Of Fire?

I've played the GBA version of BoF 2 and enjoyed it quite a bit.

So is it possible to gift games on Wii U yet? A couple of eShop games would make great Xmas presents this year me thinks :)

Has anyone here played the original Breath Of Fire?

I've played the GBA version of BoF 2 and enjoyed it quite a bit.

The translations really bad, you might want to use a guide.