NEurope
are1981

Wii U eShop Thread

After reading an IGN article published Wednesday, I finally realised the amount of games planned for Wii U's eShop! The first games I am interested in, are two upgrades of originals I have yet to play on 3DS, Mutant Mudds Deluxe and Mighty Switch Force! HD, although several on that list looks promising to me, given the right price.

IGN: These download-only options have been overshadowed in the talk about Wii U's launch so far, and that's understandable – most people, like me, are still focused on the physical and what they need to do to get their hands tangibly on the games they want to play. But Nintendo is positioning the new console's new eShop to be live and active on Day 1, right alongside all that real-world chaos. And there should be enough digital goodness immediately available that, if you wanted to, you could ignore those discs entirely and just enjoy the eShop-only choices.

I am thinking this thread could have discussions on all eShop games, and discussions on the eShop infrastructure, pricing, availability, and more.

These are the eShop games with own threads:

What eShop games are you curious about, planning to buy and recommending to other N-Europe members?

I did a search on this forum, and although I did find threads that touched on the eShop subject, I did not find any threads with a wide discussion on the eShop and its games.

Edited by Retro_Link

Nano Assult Neo looks cool as hell, especially as it has been confirmed for local 2 player co-op. Been playing Mutant Mudds and Mighty Switch Force off the 3DS eShop, even though both these games are really good in their own right, I very much doubt I'll pick them up again just because they are HD versions. They will have to do something fundamentally better/extra to entice me.

Wii U is turning out to be quite the indie haven! A good few must haves already for me! (especially Toki Tori 2 - can't wait for that game :bouncy: )

Hoping (well, more expecting really) Nintendo to do a Wii U eShop specific Nintendo Direct closer to launch to big up the downloadable titles coming as they have got some big support there from indie devs (IGN even overlooked some in that article there, like Chasing Aurora from Broken Rules).

And I'm sure there'll be more announced in the coming months as well so will be interesting to see what other devs will jump on board with titles for the eShop.

Hoping (well, more expecting really) Nintendo to do a Wii U eShop specific Nintendo Direct closer to launch to big up the downloadable titles coming as they have got some big support there from indie devs (IGN even overlooked some in that article there, like Chasing Aurora from Broken Rules).

And I'm sure there'll be more announced in the coming months as well so will be interesting to see what other devs will jump on board with titles for the eShop.

I just checked out Chasing Aurora. Watching the gorgeous video below felt like a fresh breeze gently stroking my hair!

Hmm....

I wonder if there will be any GamePad-only games on the eShop. If they reduce their conditions for getting accepted it could turn out well.

I'd imagine that there will be a default option of the image also appearing on the TV screen so others can watch. An turn-based-multiplayer Angry Birds could do a killing with something like that.

I am surprised no one has posted this here

Nintendo licenses Unity.

This is a huge deal for WiiU eShop and opens up the door to small developers to bring their portable smartphone games to WiiU.

While it's nice to see, it's not unexpected. Unity did support Wii after all...

While it's nice to see, it's not unexpected. Unity did support Wii after all...

Something must be different now with this contract, otherwise this would not be true:

Eurogamer: I spoke to Unity CEO David Helgason about this today, and he reckons this deal with a platform holder may be unprecedented. "It's definitely a Unity first," he said, "but as far as we can tell it's also an industry first."

Or am I missing something here?

Something must be different now with this contract, otherwise this would not be true:

Eurogamer: I spoke to Unity CEO David Helgason about this today, and he reckons this deal with a platform holder may be unprecedented. "It's definitely a Unity first," he said, "but as far as we can tell it's also an industry first."

I think this is granting Nintendo an unlimited use license that they can give out to 3rd party devs for free (like with the Autodesk and Havoc tools).

Is Unity usually free of charge for commercial releases? (I'm pretty sure the SDK is at least)

The major part is that all developers who are currently registered with Unity will automatically be 'grandfathered' into being licensed Wii U developers. I don't know exactly if the other engine deals worked like that, but this one is a big deal because of just how widespread Unity is - that's 1.2 million licensees essentially becoming Wii U developers as soon as the deal is activated.

Hmm....

I wonder if there will be any GamePad-only games on the eShop. If they reduce their conditions for getting accepted it could turn out well.

I'd imagine that there will be a default option of the image also appearing on the TV screen so others can watch. An turn-based-multiplayer Angry Birds could do a killing with something like that.

They showed Draughts (may have been Backgammon, or both) being played on it in their E3 2011 presentation video. I'd imagine all those types of games will be up on the eShop right away.

Does anyone know what Trine 2 is supposed to be like? Footage I've seen makes it look like a 2d version of crystal chronicles....

Does anyone know what Trine 2 is supposed to be like? Footage I've seen makes it look like a 2d version of crystal chronicles....

It's a puzzle-platformer where you have to switch between three different characters with different abilities to get through the levels. I'm not sure what about that makes you think of Crystal Chronicles. :p

I'm really interested in Trine 2, Nano Assault Neo and Toki Tori 2. Mighty Switch Force HD is one that I'd get if I was in the right mood - it's a brilliant game, but I have played it on 3DS.

Honestly, I think the eShop and Virtual Console could give a huge boost to the Wii U. Get those HD SNES, N64 and GameCube games on there and it'll be fantastic!

Get those HD SNES, N64 and GameCube games on there and it'll be fantastic!

That would be absolutely FANTASTIC! as I didn't want to purchase GCN games for the Wii, I was however, hoping that we would one day see them available through the WiiU's eShop.

From Kotaku:

We're two generations removed from the GameCube now. That qualifies it as an old console. So when chatting with Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime last week, I had to ask: will GameCube games ever come to the Virtual Console?

"That is a great question," he said, smiling. "And personally I would love for that to happen, but we have nothing to announce right now."

It's practically a given that we'll see GameCube games on the WiiU some day.

They'll probably announce it in a direct or even at E3 and act like they're doing us a favour whilst we all know that it is quite expected.

Just recently re bought a Wii, however I remember picking one up launch day all those moons ago and getting Twilight Princess and then downloading Super Mario 64. Although I played it to death on my N64, it still felt new and exciting and was practically a second launch title for me, at a dirt cheap price. Would love something similar to happen on Wii U, maybe with a Cube title, Wave Race Blue Storm would would be an instant purchase for me...

Wave Race Blue Storm would would be an instant purchase for me...

Me too, Waverace along with 1080 were amongst my favourite GCN games.

256px-1080%C2%B0_Avalanche.png

1810182-box_waveracebs_large.png

and my favourite character in both is...

_-1080-Avalanche-GameCube-_.jpg

Me too, Waverace along with 1080 were amongst my favourite GCN games.

I remember Wave Race being a last minute purchase because they brought the price of the cube down just before launch, and I ended up playing it more than rogue leader and luigi's mansion! Love to see a HD wave race with Wii U at some point. 1080 was quite over looked if I remember, or maybe it was trying to convince my mates with ps2's and xbox's to pick it up with no success,

and spending a lonely Christmas in the ski lodge... :D

Wave Race and 1080, those are great games! I wish we get to see some new games in those series, or at least re-releases on eShop, hopefully with slightly better graphics so it doesn't look too dated on today's bigger TVs.

Also is Nano Assault an eShop game? I thought it was a retail release?

Have to say I think Cloudberry Kingdom looks pretty terrible.

It's like it's trying to be the likes of Super Meat Boy, VVVVVV etc... except there's nothing nice about it visually, and it just looks like it could just be really really frustrating, instead of challenging.