NEurope
Mokong

Sending 3DS in for repair....It's Back, YAY

I'm gonna send my 3DS into Nintendo for repair I've got two issues that are just getting to the point now that I can't ignore anymore.

R button sometimes does not work and this weird power issue where it will sometimes (while closed) decide to turn itself off even though it might be nowhere near red...and sometimes when that happens the date gets reset to 1 Jan 2011 :heh:

So anyway in regards packaging the 3DS, anyone here send your 3DS in for repair before? How did you pack it?

The Service Centre website just said to put the handheld inside a bubble wrap envelope...is this ok?

or would I be better getting a small box (think I can find my 3DS box somewhere) wrap the 3DS in some bubble wrap on its own and pack it in the box then tape it all up.

Ahh you've come to the right place since i sent my first 3DS off 3 times before it was fixed*

On each occurrence i was given the jiffy bag etc, but i then added an extra layer of bubble wrap so it barely fit in the jiffy bag

it doen't matter too much as they replaced all the panels on mine during the repair, i'd guess because they get damaged during opening.

Expect a returned console in 4-5 weeks from the day you send it

*it wasn't even after that still had a loose hinge which got looser over time and the screens caught each other. They told me it was fixed, considering my current 3DS isn't like that it obviously wasn't.

I sent it off bubble-wrapped and in a padded (bubble-wrapped) envelope. No sign of bumps or damage at all when I got it back.

I found the 3DS box but it was bigger than I remembered so what I did was I took out the cardboard compartment from it that the 3DS sat in, placed the 3DS into that wrapped some bubble wrap round it and then shoved it into a bubble wrap envelope, seems fine.

Will post it off tomorrow, hoping to not be without the 3DS for too long :heh:

Strange, I thought I'd read this thread as I'm considering sending mine for repair too, and it seems you've got almost the same faults as me! My L button is dicky for some reason and occasionally after being left to sleep, it doesn't wake up! I realise yours is turning off and resetting the date, but strange both happen when closed.

Haha, that's werid Rummy similar faults... my power issue has actually happened a few times while the system was on. Which got me real worried when you're looking at the thing then all of a sudden BLACK SCREEN...WTF

Anyway I brought it to th epost office today, it should be winging it's way to Nintendo as we speak. Let the countdown (or counting of days I guess) till I get my 3DS back begin :heh:

4-5weeks is quite a while :( Do savegames still save data on carts, or on the 3DS itself? I have actually got possession of a friend's 3DS for a while so it could be the best time for me to send mine in! Did they ask for your proof of purchase etc @Mokong X\-C?

I do believe game saves are on the game carts.

I just sent the console itself, I took out the game cart that was in it (MK7) and also took out the SD card and stylus :)

They do ask you to provide proof of purchase if it is still in warranty (1 year I think), I didn't have any and mine was over a year old anyway.

But they do ask you to put in with it a note describing the problems (even though you would have done this in the online form setting up the repair request anyway), in that I also made a mention that "I no longer have the receipt of when I bought the console but that I did get it on launch day and I'm sure you could verify this by checking when my Club Nintendo account was linked to the consoles eShop"

I don't have the proof of purchase I don't think, but it is within a year's warranty as I got it from The Hut in December/end of November(also why I think I should send it off soon). I'll look into printing off some sort of proof and subsequently posting it off, but still...4 weeks is quite a while to wait :(

I don't have the proof of purchase I don't think, but it is within a year's warranty as I got it from The Hut in December/end of November(also why I think I should send it off soon). I'll look into printing off some sort of proof and subsequently posting it off, but still...4 weeks is quite a while to wait :(

The first time i sent it off it took 2 weeks, the second was 3 and the last one was the worst at about 4 1/2 weeks almost 5, so its a bit of a gamble

OK I'm starting to get worried now

The status of the repair on the Nintendo Service Centre site still hasn't updated to say they have received my 3DS

And the tracking number ISN'T tracking on either!!!!!

Went to the post office where I sent it from today to ask whats up with the tracking and spoke to the actual guy I handed the parcel to and he remembered it....he said something about cause it was a prepaid label that it wouldn't track online cause I didn't pay for it....but it should get to where it's going

WTF?

It should be there by now surely

Hopefully the status on the Nintendo site changes tomorrow to show they have it or else I gonna be seriously stressing if my 3DS is lost somewhere in the post :mad:

Edited by Mokong

OK I'm starting to get worried now

The status of the repair on the Nintendo Service Centre site still hasn't updated to say they have received my 3DS

And the tracking number ISN'T tracking on either!!!!!

Alright, first thing first. Take a deep breath and relax. Now take another deeeep breath. There, feeling better? :)

While I can't be sure, here's what I think is going on (I worked in logistics for over ten years):

The nice chap at the post office already told you that the parcel isn't being tracked because it would cost extra. Probably, the parcel has already arrived at the repair centre by now.

The reason why your 3DS hasn't been registered with a repair id (or repair tracking number) is most likely because it won't be registered until a technician opens your parcel and investigates the device. Depending on the size of the repair centre and the amount of repairs, it might take days, or even weeks until it's time for your 3DS to be taken care of - it will happen sooner or later in the order they arrive I'm sure.

Or maybe the postal service and repair centre both suck and you can forget about my ensuring message and begin to worry about shelling out money for a new 3DS. :grin:

Alright, first thing first. Take a deep breath and relax.

*breaths*

Now take another deeeep breath.

*Breeeaaaatthhhs*

There, feeling better? :)

:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead:yay::shakehead

While I can't be sure, here's what I think is going on (I worked in logistics for over ten years):

The nice chap at the post office already told you that the parcel isn't being tracked because it would cost extra. Probably, the parcel has already arrived at the repair centre by now.

But it was a priority post label they gave me, it had a barcode and a tracking number, unless the postal service just aren't scanning it I don't see why it isn't showing up when I try to track it.

The letter from Nintendo that came with it even said to take note of the ref number on the label and use that for tracking :heh:

The reason why your 3DS hasn't been registered with a repair id (or repair tracking number) is most likely because it won't be registered until a technician opens your parcel and investigates the device. Depending on the size of the repair centre and the amount of repairs, it might take days, or even weeks until it's time for your 3DS to be taken care of - it will happen sooner or later in the order they arrive I'm sure.

I already have a repair id from when I registered from the repair and they sent out the prepaid label.

The current status is "Package Returned" Pending, it would change to "Item Recieved" or something even if it still takes awhile for a tech to actually look at it.

I sent my Wii to them before and soon as they got that the status on the website told me they had it.

Can't bloody remember what the situation was with the postage tracking that time though...but I have this odd memory of checking out the Service Centres location on Google maps streetview :heh:

That time I sent the Wii on a Thursday and they got it on the next Monday. I sent my 3DS last Thursday, it Tuesday now and it still not there.

If the status on the website still indicates they haven't got it tomorrow I'm gonna give them a phone call.

Or maybe the postal service and repair centre both suck and you can forget about my ensuring message and begin to worry about shelling out money for a new 3DS. :grin:

All my extra money is being saved for my WiiU, if my 3DS is lost someone better be getting me a new one for free, either Nintendo or the Irish Postal service :mad:

Well OK, fair enough if it didn't convince you to believe and have faith in the system hehe. I tried. :)

I'd be worried after a week. Luckly, something like this hasn't occured to me as of yet. 2 of my 360's broke, i sent 1 off for repairs and it broke again a week later. The 2nd was out of warrenty. I found it was cheaper to trade in (as i had a friend who worked in Gamestation and knew his day of work) and traded for a new one.

I think when i sent mine the last time similar happened, if i remember correctly, it was over a week after i sent it before it changed from "awaiting item" (or whatever it said) to "received"

..... in fact do i still have my emails to them...

right just going through the ones i found.....

their contact number is 0845 6050247

right so i sent my parcel on the 10th Jan (day after the label email arrived and even that took a week and i had to call them to get another),

i got an email about tracking it on the nintendo website with a password, I remember this password NEVER worked and i had to call them,

it was updated as received on the 18th (yeah i know),

then i got an email saying the repair was done on the 28th, and it turned up the following Tuesday i think...

but if you call the number then they will let you know what is going on

i got an email about tracking it on the nintendo website with a password, I remember this password NEVER worked and i had to call them,

Yeah I actually did get an email and text message about them having changed my login password...but this doesn't work and the one I used to set everything up still works.... *sigh* I hate waiting on things like this

So I just sent an email to the An Post customer service asking about the non-tracking of something that has a barcode and tracking number and if (and why) it being pre-paid would make a difference to the ability to track it.

Then after sending that I got a text message and email from Nintendo saying they received my 3DS, phew

Thank you for sending in your Nintendo products. The products are with us now.

status.jpg

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Now just hope the repair doesn't take too long and they don't charge too much for it :heh:

Now just hope the repair doesn't take too long and they don't charge too much for it :heh:
Nintendo's Service Centre has been absolutely stellar for me in the past:

• Replaced an original model DS that had just 1 dead pixel, no cost/hassle at all. icon14.gif
  • Repaired a dodgy hinge DS Lite which was out of warranty, for free. icon14.gif
  • Fixed the disc drive on my Wii (also well out of warranty, like 4 years out :heh:) again for no charge. icon14.gif

So yeah, wouldn't be surprised if you don't get charged at all. :awesome:

Anyway, glad to hear that your 3DS arrived safely. :)

Just got an email and text from them today, they are charging me 47 pounds for the repair.

Ah well expected that as it is out of warranty. And of course that a lot cheaper than buying a new one.

I have a feeling they may just be sending me back a brand new one, I hope they bloody remember to do a system transfer so I don't lose all my Street Pass info, if I have to start those puzzles again I'll be pissed. Hopefully I'll have it back next week and we'll find out then I guess.

repair2.jpg

Edited by Mokong

Just got an email and text from them today, they are charging me 47 pounds for the repair.

Ah well expected that as it is out of warranty. And of course that a lot cheaper than buying a new one.

Whoa! :o Forget not being surprised if you didn't get charged, now I'm surprised by how much you're getting charged! 47 quid just to fix a dodgy R Button?!

I have a feeling they may just be sending me back a brand new one, I hope they bloody remember to do a system transfer so I don't lose all my Street Pass info, if I have to start those puzzles again I'll be pissed. Hopefully I'll have it back next week and we'll find out then I guess.
Let's hope so (that it's an entire system replacement and that they transfer your files) for that amount of money.

Jeez, that's pricey for a "R" button fix. Like you said, hopefully (if they do send a new one) that they transfer the content over. They'll be nothing worse than losing all the Streetpass puzzles. Got 10 completed ones myself, and i'd hate if i lost that info.

Still don't have the 3DS back... but today I got a letter from them saying they've inspected it and are awaiting payment :heh:

No date on the letter, can only assume it was auto printed and sent when they sent me the email and text message.... but surely given that they know they sent me both a text and email about it why bother sending a snail mail letter too :heh:

And just got another text and email today saying Repairs on my 3DS have started and then later have finished.

WTF? I thought it might already be on the way back to me :heh:

*sigh* hopefully I have it back next week so.

And for 47 quid, if they didn't just issue me a new one maybe aswell as the R button fix maybe they gave me a new battery to solve my power-cut-off issue?

Or if they did issue me a new system hopefully the "repairs" they just comepleted was actually the system transfer of my data from the old to the new one :heh:

status2.jpg

Still no idea if it's back to me in the post yet or not....anyone know if when they send it back do they give me a tracking number?

Edited by Mokong