NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Captain Falcon

Best of the Best of the Best Sir... with Honours!!

So yes the days of the Wii are rapidly and sadly coming to an end and to commemorate said event, there is a snapily titled thread called VOTE: N-Europe's Top 25 Wii Games! which pretty much speaks for itself - it's sticky'ed and everything.

Now that's all well and good, and whilst the my title here may initially seem the same, I'm taking a slightly different approach with what should best be viewed as a companion piece.

I want to know what you think is the best at being the best. Not the best game mind, hopefully you've already told us that or are well on your way to doing so. No, I want to know about all the times your jaw hit the floor. I want to know which game you think has the best graphics - technically or asethically, I don't care as long as whatever it is impressed you the most for whatever reason that may be. What game has the best soundtrack - heck, the rest of the game could have been completely and utterly **** but that's not important. If the music was the best, give it your vote. I know Nintendo's in house games aren't exactly well know for their complex narratives, but they've certainly gotten better and third parties have been there too. Which game had you clamouring to find out the next pivotal element in a story worthy of leaping off the disc and into the wider entertainment spectrum.

I'm not looking for rankings here - no 3rd, 2nd, 1st rubbish - just the best, of the best.

The best graphics. The best music. The best story. The best ending. The best boss fight. The best surprise.

Admittedly that last one might be a difficult one in the world of internet spoilers but at some point, you must have been surprised. In fact, a couple of these points could be spoiler heavy in story games so I'll ask people to express a little caution if they feel the need to want to do some kind of write up or image/video linking.

So whilst you're thinking about that, I wonder if people have suggestions of what "best ofs" they want to see beside the few I've listed there. Think of all the times you've played a Wii game and though "this is a fantastic example of X". You probably expressed it a little differently than that at the time of course - common phrases might have been "Oh my god" or "what da fuq". If we can settle on a definitive list, we can take it from there. Feel free to think a little outside the box - best game to let off steam (it's not big or clever but it's better I smash stuff up in game rather than real life) or best game to convince your Wii hating buddies to buy a Wii (they wouldn't touch it before but now they swear by it).

So if I can get a couple of suggests and lock it down, hopefully we can get the ball rolling on this.

Pretty cool idea. I can think of quite a few games that I would vote for in specific categories that I would definitely not put up as my overall favourite games...

Think you should add a category for Best Gameplay. Something that challenged and rewarded through the game mechanics, in equal measure, to produce untold amounts of fun. To some, my choice maybe obvious.

Pretty cool idea. I can think of quite a few games that I would vote for in specific categories that I would definitely not put up as my overall favourite games...

Indeed. It was looking at pictures of Muramasa that promted me to make this topic. I didn't put it in my top ten as I didn't think it had enough where it counted, the gameplay, but it's other qualities represent some of the best on the system and I thought we could do with a chance to honour titles that may not have done everything right to justify top ten status, but perhaps did one thing amazingly well.

Think you should add a category for Best Gameplay. Something that challenged and rewarded through the game mechanics, in equal measure, to produce untold amounts of fun. To some, my choice maybe obvious.

Whilst it may seem like an obvious award, the reason I left it off is I honestly felt the game at the number one spot in everyones top ten list would ultimately be the game they deemed to have the best gameplay. If that isn't the case then of course it belongs here - if it is, then we are already working out the answer to that one.

Here's a few I'd suggest...

Best Graphics (2D)

Best Graphics (3D)

Best use of the Wii Remote (non-motionplus)

Best use of the Wii Remote (with motionplus)

Best online multiplayer game

Best local multiplayer game

Best port/remake

Best story

Funniest game

Biggest surprise within a game

Best new character born on Wii

Best Boss Fight

Best Music OST

Best Mini/Microgame

Best game that didn't sell well

Best game that didn't get released in Europe

Your favourite moment/event of the generation

Which animal was best represented on Wii!

Goods suggestions there, Dcubed.

Maybe a Best Voice Acting award too.

I was originally thinking to try and keep the list relatively short since the more categories there are, the less likely people will take the time to think through them all - plus if they can't think of answers for a good chunk of them, for whatever reason, they may not bother either. But doing that does limit possibilities when they are so many things to pick up on.

It might be better having a set list of x amount and then give people a wildcard award where they can vote whatever "thing" they want for whatever reason that may be - some could just be for a laugh (easiest character to beat in a game of scrabble) or a bit more debatable (best boxart). I'll give it a little longer in case anyone has any ideas and then I think it would be worth closing this thread and starting a new one to collect the answers in.

Best Graphics (2D) - Kirby's Epic Yarn

This really doesn't need an explanation - but I will anyway. Not only did it look beautiful and the art style totally sell the experience, but the graphics were integral to the game play with different fabrics and buttons all being part of the experience. The part where the fabric was on fire and burnt and Kirby was a fire engine putting it out was amazing.

Runner up: Donkey Kong Country Returns

Best Graphics (3D) - Red Steel 2

I would struggle to think of a game that looked as good as this on any system. It was incredible. Both the art style, the fusion of the Western and Samurai and the vivid palette made for an incredible looking game. The best bit was on a huge elevator that was travelling downward - it just looked spectacular.

Runner Up: Skyward Sword

Best use of the Wii Remote (non-motionplus) - Resident Evil 4

This is very difficult. I simply loved the pointer controls in both first person and third person shooters. This could have gone to COD or Metroid Prime Trilogy. I just feel Resident Evil 4 did this so well it made playing with a pad seem totally redundant.

Runner Up: Call of Duty: Black Ops

Best use of the Wii Remote (with motionplus) - Skyward Sword

The sublime integration of motion plus made this game not only one of the best entries in the franchise but also redefined the way Zelda was played. I loved this game - this is the game that shows that when motion controls are done well in an adventure game they completely transform the experience and take it to the next level.

Runner-Up: Red Steel 2

Best online multiplayer game - Call of Duty: Black Ops

Not only did this have all the maps, modes and weapons of it's HD cousins it also features the hands-down best multi player on the Wii - voice chat via headset, no friend codes, the ability to chat to and send messages to anyone - this was XBOX Live on the Wii, for free. Treyarch are pure geniuses!

Runner-Up: Monster Hunter Tri

Best local multiplayer game - Mario Kart Wii

If there's one game that epitomises four player action it's Mario Kart. You can't beat 4 people crowded around a screen with a few beers. It's the ultimate party game that can be enjoyed by everyone but only mastered by a few.

Runner-Up: Tatsunoko Vs Capcom

Best port/remake - Metroid Prime Trilogy

Metroid Prime is my favourite game of the Gamecube generation. With improved graphics, better controls and 2 other classic games on one disk - this has it all. A must buy for any serious gamer.

Runner-Up: Resident Evil 4

Runner-Up 2: Goldeneye 007

Best story - Xenoblade Chronicles

Any single player only game that can keep me going for 90 hours must be good - and this game is excellent. It had amazing graphics, a solid battle system and more loot to collect than most MMOs. However it was the characters and story that kept me coming back - I loved so many of them and their interaction was flawless.

Runner-Up: Fire Emblem

Funniest game - Super Paper Mario

I'd never have thought a Mario game would make me laugh out loud, but this was incredibly funny and full of Nintendo charm - but if you're not an old school Nintendo fan you probably wouldn't enjoy it as much. If you're not though, any of the Lego game would make anyone smile.

Runner Up: Lego Star Wars The Complete Saga

Biggest surprise within a game - Silent Hill

This game made great use of the Wii remote and was very unique as it was pure horror and suspense with no combat. What's more it didn't have a HUD and all signs were readable in game without subheadings - I loved it. The plot kept me on the edge of my seat until the very end - when I was in store for a big surprise!

Best new character born on Wii - The cast of Xenoblade

I've already put Xenoblade as the game with the best story on the Wii, so it's logical for the Xenoblade Characters to feature here too. The cast of Xenoblade was brilliant and there's not a single character I didn't love. It's too difficult for me to pick just one - Shulk's charming innocence and purity, Reyn's loyalty to Shulk, Dunban's wisdom and leadership - they were all fantastic.

Runner Up: Jack from Madworld.

Best Boss Fight - Ridley - Metroid: Other M

This was a tough boss fight and Ridley could take you down by whole energy tanks at a time. But on hard mode this was even tougher. You really had to be on top of your game as one or two hits would finish it. The fight is all about reaction speeds and tapping the d-pad at the right time before charging up a blast. It's a real test of skill and reflexes.

This was a hard pick though as there's a lot of good boss battles on Wii hence a long list of runners up...

Runner Up: All of the bosses in Skyward Sword - they are all awesome - especially the one on the pirate ship

Runner Up: Bowser in NSMBWii

Runner Up: Pandora's Tower bosses

Runner Up: Bouldergeist in Super Mario Galaxy

Best Music OST - Skyward Sword

This could only go to one game. This is the first Zelda game with a proper orchestral sound track and it's fantastic. Zelda games always have great scores but this is a stand out soundtrack even amongst Zelda games.

Runner Up: The Last Story

Best Mini/Microgame - Wii Sports Tennis

Wii Sports is the game that has done more to revolutionise the industry than any other game this generation. It's the game that sold motion control and changed people's perceptions of gaming. It's also a game that I was helplessly addicted to for months. But it was the tennis I love more than anything. I always felt that Wii Sports was an incredible package - but the Tennis alone could've sold millions.

Runner Up: The Lost Planet top down shooter in Tatsunoko vs Capcom

Best game that didn't sell well - Little King's Story

There's a lot of misconceptions about Wii games selling badly. For example Madworld is a game people said had flopped - it sold 700k units. Silent Hill on the Wii only sold 430k units - but that's more than any of this generation's HD Silent Hill games. However one game that I loved was Little King's Story and it only managed to shift 260k units worldwide, a real travesty considering how good it is.

Runner Up: Disaster Day of Crisis (it's nowhere near as good as Little King's Story - but I enjoyed it)

Best game that didn't get released in Europe - Fatal Frame 4

I like horror games, I'm a big Resident Evil fan and really enjoyed the Silent Hill remake on the Wii. Fatal Frame 4 is possibly the only game I can think of that hasn't come to the West that I'd have been really interested in buying. I think Nintendo Europe have been very good to us with localisation so this is really a minor complaint.

Runner Up: Monster Hunter G

Your favourite moment/event of the generation - E3 2010

That was an event where Nintendo stole the show. The amount of new games and reveals was unbelievable. Goldeneye, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Epic Mickey and Kirby's Epic Yarn as well as more info on Metroid: Other M and Skyward Sword. That was THE definitive way to do an E3 conference. Nintendo have had some great E3 shows over the years, but that for me was the best of this generation.

Runner Up: I don't really have one!

Which animal was best represented on Wii! -

NOTE: I'm going to come back to this and complete it as it's taking too long and I have to think about some of these and possibly make changes...

Edited by Zechs Merquise

Sign in to follow this