NEurope
Retro_Link

Robocop

I'm just guessing by the car bomb replacing that shotgun scene. I could be wrong.

I'd hope you are, but i suspect you are right, the only reason to alter it is if they thought it was too graphic :weep:

That was kind of the point though wasn't it, to be shocking and graphic

Gods fraking damnit, just typed up a reply on my thoughts based on teh trailer and somehow accidently refreshed the page and lost what I typed.

In short

Things/Changes I don't like

-Teasing with the original Robocop body then going "nah lets change it"

So this company must have millions to burn as that first body was just a waste of money? It prolly would sit with me better if he had the first body for awhile then got his ass kicked and needed an upgrade or something.

-Change of how he becomes Robocop

No Shotgun scene? Definately they are going for a 15's rating :(:mad:

-He's not dead when he becomes Robocop

So he can retain his memories instead of having to "find" them again?

-And his wife knows from the get go he's Robocop?

OK well I guess they didn't want to copy the original completly and wanted to have some narritive differences but still.....

Meh.

-Teasing with the original Robocop body then going "nah lets change it"

So this company must have millions to burn as that first body was just a waste of money? It prolly would sit with me better if he had the first body for awhile then got his ass kicked and needed an upgrade or something.

To be fair they had a few failings with "prototype" Robocops in the first film.

To be fair they had a few failings with "prototype" Robocops in the first film.

That was Robocop 2 unless you are referring to ED209.

Speaking of ED209.... I do like the new ED209 seen in the trailer.... still seems to have the weakness to stairs though :p

as aside note aren't Neca making a 1:12 scale (so in scale with the 6" robocop figure) Ed209? sure i saw that on the iterwebs around the time of San Diago Comic Con

That was Robocop 2 unless you are referring to ED209.

Y'know, I think ye be right. I must've mixed them up.

The trailer looks a little meh. There are a few issues with the remake i have, aside from remaking the movie. And they've already been mentioned earlier, which are

• Why does his wife know Alex is Robocop, it would seem she decides to create him this time around.
  • No shotgun scene or acid meltings, shame.
  • Not being dead to begin with, so he has all his memories and his family recognise him (but to be fair, he had them all in the original but was "blocked" from accessing them).
  • He's not a robot/cyborg, more like a chap in a suit (he's too fleashy, Darth Vader'y as i can describe it)

What i liked with the original, Alex Murphy was a cop who was killed by a drug gang. He was dead when he became Robocop, and had a total body prosthesis. It had it's own feel to it, and it looks a lot better. Yes i know, we said the same with the remake of Total Recall and look how that turned out. Here's hoping (and i'm being over optimistic here), that this doesn't suck.

I haven't read any posts in this thread since the trailer, so I'll go back and do that later (just about to play The Wonderful 101), but...this looks like complete shit. I dislike so many things about it and I won't be wasting my money on going to see it. Unless the glowing reviews start to surface at some point.

Are there no new ideas anymore? This is something that didn't need doing, like the Total Recall remake.

I'm not a huge fan of the original for various reasons, mostly because I never watched it growing up, but the remake will enjoy none of the childhood rose-tinting afforded to it by our generation and will suck by default.

That said, at least they look to be exploring the family dynamic and even poking fun at the original with that suit redesign.

So there's no shoot dick through skirt action? The trailer could've had the decency to show a taste of it.

It looks like there will hardly be much action at all, it takes two attacks on life for Murphy to get his shit in gear, Mace Windu talking bullshit, family life, and when he becomes Robocop there's more family bullshit. I hate origin movies.

It seems to be relying too much on the "Oh shit he's got emotions and that's going to ruin everything!", like the "Friendship will conquer all if you just believe" crap.

New Trailer

This trailer actually makes the film look a bit more appealing (hoping it doesn't also give too much away)

BUMP

So I went to cinema last night to give this a watch and actually found it enjoyable.

Some of the differences between this and the original I actually ended up liking.

Like when he first wakes up in as Robocop and he is still mentally Alex Murphy and how he gets slowly made more and more Robot like.

Also liked that they showed exactly how much was "Left" of Murphy, found that a fair bit shocking at first cause wasn't expecting it.

The differences they made story wise I liked too so it wasn't a full copy of the original and they did try to change it up a bit. The whole political side of it made me think of Deus Ex Human Revolution :D (Actually wondering now if maybe Deus Ex might have been part inspired by Robocop?)

But there were of course parts where it was similar to the original but some things weren't exactly the same and you think "hhmmm would have liked to see them keep it more like the original"

Mainly at the end with the confrontation with Sellers and Murphy can't shoot him cause he is wearing that red light on his wrist, similar to the hidden derective in the original which wouldn't let Murphy act against an OCP empolyee. I was waiting for someone to take the light off Sellers similar to how the bad guy in the original got fired. Though I guess there is something to be said for Murphy being human enough to act against his programming and being able to shoot Sellers.

The tones down violence was a little annoying too, he used a souped up stun gun for most of his time as Robocop so kill count was fairly low, plus no coke snorting (off womens boobs :(), no nuts shot off through a womans dress, no melting acid man oh and no ED209 showed no weakness to stairs (I was waiting for the baby screams!)

But I did end up liking the changes made to how he became Robocop, needing his wife to sign off on it and the more focused family side of the story. Something about his return to his house to meet his son, that scene I really liked (maybe cause I'm a dad now too) :heh:

For some reason this is a concept I just don't see working in this format. It was great in Verhoeven's hands because it's exactly the kind of movie he can pull off, but turning it into an action blockbuster just doesn't feel necessary or right.

I'll probably still watch it when it's available on Netflix or something...

io9 gave it a really favourable response, and I appreciate their views. Said it was a really solid sci-fi, which to be fair we don't get a lot of.

I do want to see this, I enjoy the idea very much.

But yes, what happened with Total Recall is an ICY GLASS OF WATER DOWN THE UNDERPANTS kind-of-cautionary tale of how things that are so wonderful can be shit up so perfectly.

Saw this a couple nights ago.

Really liked it, except the SLJ parts... soooo cringeworthy.. Especially right at the end. What the actual fuck. Couldn't help but think he was just doing another bet365 ad every time he came on"

Edited by Jim
blonde moment with the spoiler tag.

Saw this a couple nights ago.

Really liked it, except the SLJ parts... soooo cringeworthy.. Especially right at the end. What the actual fuck. Couldn't help but think he was just doing another bet365 ad every time he came on"

I think this is what they were going for to be honest.

My short review:

Robocop 7/10

They took some liberties with various aspects of the plot. Some I liked some I didn't. I liked the statement on the US' foreign policy with regards to the use of drones. The news reporter commenting on how happy the middle eastern people were to be scanned and persecuted by robots was brilliant. I seriously think there are Americans who think this is how they gallantly sweep across any nation they deem worthy of invasion. I liked the Samuel L Jackson parts, now I'm living in Canada and having become more privy to all manner of god awful political opinion shows (nothing beats question time) they got it spot on.

One thing I did find very annoying was every time the film changed location (between the states and China) it felt the need to tell us where it was in text form. Granted the first time makes sense but each time? It's insulting to movie goers....or does that kind of stuff actually serve a purpose? I always find things like that odd...did that come as a result of focus testing? Was it genuinely confusing that they couldn't test Robocop on US soil? I found the whole red tag thing an over simplicity of how robot law enforcement programming work as well? I'm not sure where I stand on the portrayal of his humanity vs machine, they did they change it in some pretty significant ways and make it a larger focus. Like can we really expect him to be a family man along with all of this?

Finally the Black suit...hate it...still don't get why they did it. Makes him look generic, I remember in the early marketing of the film when the suit was first revealed they said it was to make him sleeker, more tactical, more mobile. Next to nothing happens in the movie that warrants this ninja like transformation. It did however allow for one awesome joke from Lewis.

All in though as modern interpretation of that story I think it did a great job of making it relevant to our current political/war mongering climate as a world.