NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Charlie

MS announce "Urge"

"Bill Gates gave his keynote speech at CES on Wednesday night. CNN offers a summary of events of the presentation.

Microsoft unveiled a new music service called "Urge". Previous reports of Urge had revealed that Microsoft and MTV were joining forces for the new music service. The new service launches with over 2 million songs for purchase or subscription-based service. Few other details are otherwise available. The Urge.com site simply says "Coming Soon." Urge will be promoted through their Windows Media Player and appears to be Microsoft's answer to iTunes.

Gates also announced partnerships with Intel and their Viiv platform which will allow users to have more entertainment based machines -- providing DVR functionality and more. Microsoft's upcoming revision to Windows called "Vista" will be the operating system for these machines.

Also mentioned:

- DirecTV Content transferable to Portable Media Centers

- Upcoming HD-DVD support for Xbox 360

Intel's keynote takes place Thursday night and will presumably reveal more information about the Yonah and the Viiv platform. Traditionally, CES has been of limited direct interest to the Macintosh platform, but with the switch to Intel processors taking place, Intel's plans become far more relevant."

----------

Looks interesting, but if it sells WMA's it wont stand a chance as iPods can't play them.

Dear god thats an awful name. Worse than XBOX360 and Vista. Also, the external HD-DVD thing for 360 is a good idea.

Dear god thats an awful name. Worse than XBOX360 and Vista. Also, the external HD-DVD thing for 360 is a good idea.

not its not, there been reports that it gonar be for at least $200 for the external device (since stand alone hd-dvd players will be for $400), u mite as well get a ps3

They could at least put a "the" infront of the name.

Burger King may sue them if they do.

Burger King may sue them if they do.

Nobody with half a brain would sue Microsoft :laughing:

Too late Mr Gates, I've already got me an iPod and I love Mr iTunes. I hate using Media Player now.

I hate using Media Player now

I always hated Media Player. It's big, it's clunky. And it has limited customisation.

anyone else think the "g" in urge looks a bit too similar to the quicktime logo?

yeah it does, but when you look at it... its just a blue circle. For all i am concerned, all online music services are money makers... hope they carry it out succesfully.

They could at least put a "the" infront of the name.

That sounds even worse. It sounds like a rollercoaster name or something along the lines.

Sign in to follow this